OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Andy Brickley has lost all balls. Calls out no one on either side and just stays safely down the boring middle.
Edwards & Brickley is strictly amateur hour. Too busy yucking it up and trying to be funny topick up on the little things that would interest the viewer. Case in point, in the 3rd period of last night's game there was a shot from the point by a Shark D on Dobby and at the same time the center pushed Dobby's right leg pad with his stick about 2 feet. No interference call. After the play Dobby was visibly angry and yelling at the ref. Did Edwards or Brick pick it up? No. Even after they showed the replay.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Things I wish NESN would retire:
-- the totally un-candid pre-third-period interview with an assistant coach: "We gotta keep pressing, get the puck in deep, be heavier on the puck, etc., etc."
-- the early-game yackety yack between Jack and Brick while they ignore amazing scoring chances, defensive plays, miscues, saves, etc., going on the ice below them.
-- the rolling scoreboard, which takes up screen space and gets really tedious after a few minutes if your eyes happen to fall on it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Things I wish NESN would retire:
-- the totally un-candid pre-third-period interview with an assistant coach: "We gotta keep pressing, get the puck in deep, be heavier on the puck, etc., etc."
-- the early-game yackety yack between Jack and Brick while they ignore amazing scoring chances, defensive plays, miscues, saves, etc., going on the ice below them.
-- the rolling scoreboard, which takes up screen space and gets really tedious after a few minutes if your eyes happen to fall on it.

Agree on all 3, but the score ticker definitely is far less abrasive this season since it isn't that awful blue.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Can someone provide a brief Cliffs Notes version of whatever this Kirk and Callahan drama is from this week?
There's a transcript at the link below but is completely unreadable (but comical given that it's clearly a voice-recoginition thing and prone to errors)
I'm gathering that Kirk said something stupid, there's a boycott of advertisers and something about the Jimmy Fund?

http://www.weei.com/media/audio-cha...y-address-behind-scenes-madness-weei-10-27-17

(Link is set to auto-play, because WEEI doesn't care what anyone wants I guess)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They stepped in it a little and now you have a guy sopposedly getting stupid with the emails to their sponsors. Most likely, the guy doesn't work and has an agenda to fill. Only heard their side though. @ a 4 year old with some personal issues that went on air on channel4 from Boston. They commented on the story.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Haven't caught a full game on 98.5 yet this year, but I've heard enough of the promos on the station to know that I can't stand Sirott's goal calls. Holy overboard Batman. Not leaving himself much room to up the energy when the situations calls for it - save the guttural stuff for a game 7 OT winner.

Reactions: smithformeragent

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Haven't caught a full game on 98.5 yet this year, but I've heard enough of the promos on the station to know that I can't stand Sirott's goal calls. Holy overboard Batman. Not leaving himself much room to up the energy when the situations calls for it - save the guttural stuff for a game 7 OT winner.

The Bruins have gone from the very best radio PBP guy you could ask for to someone that prompts me to listen to the visiting team feed on SiriusXM. In the Vegas game, when the Bruins scored to make it 2-1 VGK late in the game, the guy screamed to the point where I had to turn the volume down in the car. It's a shame that an Original Six franchise is stuck with some idiot screamer like it's a Tampa Bay Lightning broadcast.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Heard a clip of Dale and Holley discussing the Garoppolo deal and comparing it to the Seguin deal re: shopping the player around properly.

Holley said that you can't compare the best organization (Pats) to a bad organization (Bruins).

Interesting.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What's this all mean?

Beasley paid dearly to get 'The Sports Hub' as they traded WMJX 106.7 and $12 million cash to get it.

Sports stations are far more profitable than music stations as Sports Hub pays next to nothing in music license fees. Magic 106.7 is always near the tops in Boston ratings but now we have insight on how profitable Sports Hub is. Only change short term for Bruins fans will be a different overflow radio station as they can't use WZLX anymore when the sale is done. Bruins most likely would be heard on either 92.9 or 105.7.

98.5 will also have to move their studio to Dorchester from Brighton.

upload_2017-11-1_15-49-6.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
iHeart: Top-40 WXKS-FM (Kiss 108), rhythmic WJMN (JAM’N 94.5), country WBWL (101.7 the Bull), classic rock WZLX (100.7), rhythmic AC WKAF (97.7), news-talk WBZ (1030), talk WRKO (680), plus two existing iHeart AMs, WXKS (1200) and Spanish AC WKOX (1430). iHeart intends to place 1430 WKOX in a divestiture trust to sell.

Entercom: Sports WEEI-FM (93.7), sports WEEI (850), rock WAAF (107.3), top-40 WODS (103.3), AC WMJX (106.7), AC WBMX (104.1)

Beasley: Modern rock WBOS (92.9), rhythmic WBQT (96.9), sports WBZ-FM (98.5), country WKLB (102.5), classic hits WROR (105.7)

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Heard a clip of Dale and Holley discussing the Garoppolo deal and comparing it to the Seguin deal re: shopping the player around properly.

Holley said that you can't compare the best organization (Pats) to a bad organization (Bruins).

Interesting.
In this particular case,Holley is clueless

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
So when the Bruins and Celtics play at the same time, what station will the Celtics go to is my question. 100.7 is no longer under the same company.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I will never understand how Brian Lawton and Bill Lindsay keep their jobs on NHL Network.

At times, they make me wonder if I really like hockey or not.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm working from home and have Felger and Mazz on in the background.

Riveting discussion about the time zone and daylight savings issue.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm working from home and have Felger and Mazz on in the background.

Riveting discussion about the time zone and daylight savings issue.

@Kate08 In reality Boston is in the proper time zone - the problem with the Eastern time zone is it continues to far to the west. Michigan and Indiana should be in Central Time but Michigan decided they wanted to be on New York time.

For Massachusetts to change you would need Rhode Island, NH and Maine to go along. Connecticut won't because of New York.

Another option is almost a non-starter - pushing Massachusetts ahead by 30 minutes so when it is 8 AM in NY it would be 8:30 AM here. Sounds crazy but that is exactly how time is computed in Newfoundland.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
@Kate08 In reality Boston is in the proper time zone - the problem with the Eastern time zone is it continues to far to the west. Michigan and Indiana should be in Central Time but Michigan decided they wanted to be on New York time.

For Massachusetts to change you would need Rhode Island, NH and Maine to go along. Connecticut won't because of New York.

Another option is almost a non-starter - pushing Massachusetts ahead by 30 minutes so when it is 8 AM in NY it would be 8:30 AM here. Sounds crazy but that is exactly how time is computed in Newfoundland.
I believe Kate was mocking the stupid point that thankfully I didn’t hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad