Music: Official Metal Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Lads and lasses, what is the best Absu album? And justify your reasoning if it isn't Tara

I think it's clearly Tara. I can't say I love the band or even that particular album, but it's their best work - they managed to cut out many of the distasteful elements from their previous work (female vocals, bad synths, inserting cover songs into the middle albums) and refine their sound. It's the album they were always trying to make. Unfortunately it's still flawed by often unmemorable riffing/songwriting and Proscriptor's tendency to overplay, though they compensate for the former by injecting a frenzied intensity into their playing. The Third Storm of Cythrául is somewhat decent as well, though it's basically a lesser Tara in every way right down to them taking some of the same riffs/motifs and re-working them into better songs on Tara.

This is mandatory Absu viewing:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Slayer farewell tour hits PNC Bank Arts Center next Saturday. I will be there disembowling a goat and drawing a pentagram in the ground with it's freshly spilled blood :vampire:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The set list I saw was primarily their stuff up to that point.

I'll be there in August, to see three of the bands I grew up on. Don't care about Lamb of God but the rest will be fun.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Saw the Slayer tour yesterday, it was great.

Testament I've never seen before, they were as good as I could hope for being a casual fan. I need to listen to them more, nothing I've heard is bad.

Behemoth is always entertaining and despite being a bit of an outlier on the bill they got a solid response. I've probably seen them 5-6x at festivals and have never seen them in the dark. I'd imagine doing so would add to the overall feel quite a bit. I wonder how overboard their headlining sets get...

Anthrax - if I never heard them again I'd be just happy with that. We left the pit during their set but did catch about 1/3 of it. They sound good and do what they do well (I'll give em that) - I just can't get into their songs at all. I keep having to put up w/them every year or two as they end up playing with other bands I want to see.

Lamb of God - tremendous energy, great set with no newer clean-vocal songs. Many felt they stole the show

Slayer - they never falter. I've seen them around 15x and they are always the same: Kick ass, no messing around, and (at least in recent years) straight through the set w/no time wasted/encore. Setlist had a couple songs I haven't heard on recent tours plus all the obvious choices. Tons of pyro, almost through the entire show it felt like.

If my job keeps me on the road through next weekend, I'll go see it again on Sunday though I'll only see LOG/Slayer which is fine by me. Otherwise I'll be home and will see The Black Dahlia Murder (with Whitechapel, though I'm not a fan) instead. Either way, next weekend will be fun!

33662845_10155815778303191_6720703582842126336_n.jpg

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
A heavy metal song of a English language to not knowledge which of Australia and UK and USA.

Judas Priest - The Sentinel

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Absolutely heartbroken at the news of Mark Shelton's passing, Manilla Road is one of my favorite bands and they never ceased to amaze me with how many quality albums they produced spanning across 4 decades, with not even a whiff of mainstream recognition. Despite that Shelton never quit, never complained, truly a legendary loss for the scene.

"Find what you love and let it kill you."

Mark Shelton did just that. He died doing precisely what he dedicated his life to. I think, in this garbage-ass world, that's the best fate one can hope for. Rest well Mr. Shelton, you will be dearly missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad