Music: Official Metal Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Demilich_tour_2018-1.jpg

Demilich, Blood Incantation and Artificial Brain tour.

Reactions: Hivemind

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Hey guys, first time checking out this thread. Looking for something possible recommendations on some newer stuff to check out.

I’ve always been a fan of older traditional stuff like Sabbath and Priest, and thrash like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera. More recent faves are Bodom, Lamb of God, BLS, and Machine Head.

My repertoire hasn’t really strayed too far from these core bands in a while. I mostly just don’t know where to start, haven’t heard anything that’s blown me away since I started listening to Machine Head, 7 or 8 years ago.

So overall, I like stuff that’s thrashy, fast, good riffs and I love a good solo. Not a big fan of the death metal style vocals, generally, but I can get past them if the instrumental is killer.

If anyone has similar taste, let me know what other stuff you listen to. Thanks

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Hey guys, first time checking out this thread. Looking for something possible recommendations on some newer stuff to check out.

I’ve always been a fan of older traditional stuff like Sabbath and Priest, and thrash like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera. More recent faves are Bodom, Lamb of God, BLS, and Machine Head.

My repertoire hasn’t really strayed too far from these core bands in a while. I mostly just don’t know where to start, haven’t heard anything that’s blown me away since I started listening to Machine Head, 7 or 8 years ago.

So overall, I like stuff that’s thrashy, fast, good riffs and I love a good solo. Not a big fan of the death metal style vocals, generally, but I can get past them if the instrumental is killer.

Since you like Sabbath and Pantera, try some NOLA sludge metal like Crowbar

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB

Trivium might suit your tastes, though it has screaming in it. Ascendancy, The Crusade, and Shogun in particular have thrash elements.

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Thanks guys. I have heard of Crowbar, but never really checked them out before. Will Do that now.

And good call on Trivium. I didn’t mention them as one of my favourites but I do enjoy the albums you listed. Saw them in concert a few years ago and they put on a good show. Haven’t really gotten into much of their newer stuff, pretty much since Shogun.

I’ll mention Avenged Sevenfold too, before someone suggests them. I like some of their stuff too, although I haven’t dug too deep into their discography.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Been listening to a ton of older Crowbar this morning.

If that riff between 0:15-0:30 doesn't make you wanna break shit then I dunno what to tell you?

So. f***ing. Heavy.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Gotta say I'm coming around on the new Tribulation, it's their worst record for sure but I find myself enjoying it from time to time and more so with each listen

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
So I've been listening to that Oksennus album that Hivemind posted a few weeks ago and I've been thinking about how unusual it is. Large sections of this could qualify as some sort of grimy, more aggressive, metallic version of Krautrock. The second movement in particular, with it's near static rhythmic figures and subtly varying melodies, really gives me that feel. Last half of the final movement as well.

It's similar to the Chaos Echoes album that came out earlier this year, also on NWN! They followed that up by releasing a collaboration with European avantgarde saxophonist Mats Gustafsson.

It's a hard swerve away from the type of material that NWN! generally releases, and given their status as sort of underground tastemakers I wonder if we're about to see a movement of free-form death metal in the near future?

I'm not actually sure if I like any of this stuff yet, but I'm probably gonna do more listening.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Some of their older material is a little more... grounded. I do think we're enterring the phase of the death metal revival in which bands start getting weird. We've already seen bands like Tribulation and Morbus Chron as heralds of a more psychedelic form of death metal, with Tribulation emerging on the other side towards goth rock (not entirely unlike the evolution of bands like Anathema, Katatonia, or Sentenced in the 90s/2000s). It wouldn't surprise me to some of these OSDM-revival bands continue down the paths that the original OSDM bands took as death metal evolved into more technical, progressive, avant-garde, and brutal forms in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad