Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
This thread has so much pointless back and forth from typically the same people.

JT Miller is a great player, on a great contract and will demand a great return.

It's really simple as that. You can look at past deadline deals, or any deals in general and you can see the return is going to be about 3 1st round picks in value. There's really nothing further to discuss... anyone denying his value at this point is just coping.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This thread has so much pointless back and forth from typically the same people.

JT Miller is a great player, on a great contract and will demand a great return.

It's really simple as that. You can look at past deadline deals, or any deals in general and you can see the return is going to be about 3 1st round picks in value. There's really nothing further to discuss... anyone denying his value at this point is just coping.
Preach. End of thread

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

setting aside his value for a season and a half is no less than about 3 1sts, which is a fair ? as to yes or no based on the market, level of actual and competitive bidding, not just presumption of same, and where those 1sts are estimated [how late is each?], setting aside all that....
it goes back and forth b'c some people on both sides will not acknowledge true fact that many teams DO NOT HAVE the cap going forward to make a deal. PERIOD.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
setting aside his value for a season and a half is no less than about 3 1sts, which is a fair ? as to yes or no based on the market, level of actual and competitive bidding, not just presumption of same, and where those 1sts are estimated [how late is each?], setting aside all that....
it goes back and forth b'c some people on both sides will not acknowledge true fact that many teams DO NOT HAVE the cap going forward to make a deal. PERIOD.

That's exactly what makes JT so valuable, his cap hit is way under his production, plus the Canucks could even eat some of it to sweeten the return. How often can a cap strapped team add Miller's production? Never, but here it's possible.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019

Self aware wolf I see.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's exactly what makes JT so valuable, his cap hit is way under his production, plus the Canucks could even eat some of it to sweeten the return. How often can a cap strapped team add Miller's production? Never, but here it's possible.
NO IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR NYR.
pls pay attention
Even IF you work w/me and do a deal in my currency which includes giving you Lindgren now so we can squeeze in Miller at half for next yr, even if you are so obliging, NY is still screwed b'c we DO NOT HAVE cap presently held in Lindgren to generate min $$ for Kakko, LaF short bridges.

And we do not have anyone else to deal, esp of any signif $. Anyone who has $ has nmc/ntc.

Do you get that it is not worth acquiring Miller or anyone else if wind up taking a loss on having to move Kakko/LaF, etc.?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Like @Dural said, Miller could be potentially had at 2.5m cap hit which is insane given his versatility and production.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like @Dural said, Miller could be potentially had at 2.5m cap hit which is insane given his versatility and production.
Fully agree. It is unfortunate that the minutes we committed to Fox -- obv a no brainer -- and prior to that had to extend Zib or sell high on him now --- our fates were sealed.
Passing on Miller/Hertl, etc now is the price we have to pay b'c repercussions will not be worth it, and there is no way to avoid in a hard cap league. We are stuck in cap stacis beginning next yr for 2 seasons or until Trouba waives, whichever comes first.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Fully agree. It is unfortunate that the minutes we committed to Fox -- obv a no brainer -- and prior to that had to extend Zib or sell high on him now --- our fates were sealed.
Passing on Miller/Hertl, etc now is the price we have to pay b'c repercussions will not be worth it, and there is no way to avoid in a hard cap league. We are stuck in cap stacis beginning next yr for 2 seasons or until Trouba waives, whichever comes first.
For sure I understand if it can't work out for the Rangers, I just think for other teams his value will still be very high.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

lmao

he's got the lowest cap hit v production ..lol PERIOD

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I'm too uneducated to know EXACTLY how the Rangers would SPECIFICALLY make it work, but would adding Ferland help out capwise? He'll never play again and if you can do the LTIR song and dance to start the season it would provide some extra relief

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I pretty much guarantee you that moving Trouba will be incredibly difficult even after his NMC expires.

He has a 15 team NTC in the first year after his NMC expires and a 12 team NTC in the last year of his deal. He can easily set up that NTC to be predatory and make himself damn near untradeable, which I feel like he'd do considering he strong-armed his way to NY.

It’s only 15 teams. He doesn’t have a say to the others. Of course, there has to be a match, which goes without saying, but he only has a certain amount of power here.

With that said, he could always waive for someone on that list, as circumstances could change with time, especially if he knows that the team doesn’t have him as part of their future plans.

Only time will tell though.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Yeah it's the same situation as Florida with Spencer Knight. Sure, Knight is a top prospect and is hard to give up, but you literally have Bobrovsky and he's going nowhere anytime soon. It's a classic example of trading from a position of strength, why refuse to trade a potential starting goalie or top-4 D when you have those roles filled for the next half decade?

This is especially true because it's not like Schneider is NY's only RD prospect, either. Lundkvist is another great RD prospect and Rangers fans keep hyping up other guys like Jones.

Jones is an LD. The issue isn't even position per se. It's variety. Fox, Lundkvist, and Jones are all small-ish PMD guys. K'Andre Miller has size, but he isn't very physical. Lindgren is physical, but doesn't have much size. Which leaves Trouba as the ONLY Rangers defenseman with size and snarl. Schneider provides something that the other guys don't. He's a dead cert to be manning a spot on the right side of that blueline for years.

That said--it's perfectly fair for Vancouver to demand him. I just don't see a deal to be made if he's the sticking point.

I also don't see how the Rangers are logical trade partners for Miller, either. He's a #1 center. We already have a better one. He's a #1 LW. We already have two amazing LW in our top six. He plays the PK and the PP? That's not a problem area for the Rangers, who have top-of-the-league PP and PK units. Yeah, he could probably pay RW (when was the last time he did so?). But why spend 1c assets to fill a top 6 RW hole? Surely a team is out there where Miller would be an upgrade at 1C. That's who you should deal with.

And I'm still not convinced that the Rangers are doing anything beyond their due diligence on Miller. It just doesn't make any logical sense. Trying to convince the rest of the buyers that the Rangers are about to crack open their prospect cupboard in order to get them to panic and raise their offers for Miller? THAT makes a lot more sense.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
It’s only 15 teams. He doesn’t have a say to the others. Of course, there has to be a match, which goes without saying, but he only has a certain amount of power here.

With that said, he could always waive for someone on that list, as circumstances could change with time, especially if he knows that the team doesn’t have him as part of their future plans.

Only time will tell though.

I maintain that I would be shocked if Trouba didn't finish his current contract as a Florida Panther. He and his wife have a luxury condo in Ft. Lauderdale, about ten miles away from the Panthers' arena. They love the area. As soon as his wife finishes her residency, I think Florida would be a very appealing option for both of them. And in two more seasons (when the NMC changes to the LNTC), he'll only have two years left on his deal and he'll still only be 30 years old.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I maintain that I would be shocked if Trouba didn't finish his current contract as a Florida Panther. He and his wife have a luxury condo in Ft. Lauderdale, about ten miles away from the Panthers' arena. They love the area. As soon as his wife finishes her residency, I think Florida would be a very appealing option for both of them. And in two more seasons (when the NMC changes to the LNTC), he'll only have two years left on his deal and he'll still only be 30 years old.

what cap room is flordia going to have to take on a 8 mill a year contract.....

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So the list is now

STL, NYR, Minny, Boston, Cal, possibly Col.

I could see Carolina, and Nsh joining the fold as well.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
what cap room is flordia going to have to take on a 8 mill a year contract.....

The cap is expected to go up exponentially that year (two more seasons of flat cap after this one, and then the revenue from the TV deal is supposed to hit). I could see the Rangers retaining a bit as well, if they were looking to move him because Schneider was ready to move up full time.

From a hockey standpoint, it just makes a lot of sense. The Trouba's love the area, already have a house there, and Florida will still be contending and could always use a solid blueliner. Frankly, if the cap goes up and Trouba continues his play, I could see the Rangers just holding on to him through the end of his contract. Schneider would still only be 24 years old at that point.

Reactions: bernmeister

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Florida has Ekblad and Weegar already….
Who are both better than Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad