Speculation: Official JT Miller Trade Thread II - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You clearly have not watched Miller (with the exception of the game against the Leafs). There is absolutely no way you could have watched him regularly and still think his value is similar to an average second pairing dman. That's fine, I get west coast games are on pretty late and the Nucks haven't really been must see viewing since 2012, but Muzzin and Miller aren't the same value.

Lol this is the first year Muzzin's play has been at the level of "an average 2nd pairing defenseman. From 14-15 to last season he's 14th among all defenseman in even-strength points, while being a 22 minute a night minute munching matchup defender. Clear top pairing guy, just not a true number 1.

And, had you taken the time to think before descending into an ignorant frothy rage, you'd have connected that Muzzin was used as the floor of the range, directly implying that he (Miller) is worth more.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Nor do we want a package centered around Kerfoot. I don't even mind Kerfoot, but he's not the main piece by any stretch in a Miller trade.
That's fair, we as Leafs fans also have a "don't want" list....it's basically don't want to trade 4-5 top assets for Miller.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lol this is the first year Muzzin's play has been at the level of "an average 2nd pairing defenseman. From 14-15 to last season he's 14th among all defenseman in even-strength points, while being a 22 minute a night minute munching matchup defender. Clear top pairing guy, just not a true number 1.

And, had you taken the time to think before descending into an ignorant frothy rage, you'd have connected that Muzzin was used as the floor of the range, directly implying that he (Miller) is worth more.
Miller is worth 2 Muzzin’s not one.
Watch the guy play, Hes on another level right now, Top 10 in scoring.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

So being top 10 in scoring over a heater trumps being top 15 in scoring over most of a decade?

He's worth 2 Muzzin's, how many McDonagh's?
By how many signed Stones?
Karlsson's?

Is there a point to this thread when literally every precedent used to ground the discussion in reality is met with "HAVE YOU WATCHED HIM PLAY" fangirling and offense at not declaring him the most valuable asset traded in the post 2013 cap era.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

He's also outscoring and outplaying Hall when he was traded to Arizona, in roughly the same time period. Hall was also a year younger then Miller is now, so it's not like potential for a 27 year old was a factor there either.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

You have bad takes all over the place.

Muzzin is a fine player, he definitely is not the value comp to Miller. If you look at all of Muzzin's stats since the season he was traded to the Leafs, he is a good second pairing Dman (average second pairing was selling him short). However he has stats very comparable to Nate Schmidt, Goligoski, Yandle, etc. all good players, no one I would compare to the what Miller has achieved in Vancouver. Not angry, no froth, just stating that you are selling one player extremely short and I assume it's because you don't watch that player on a regular basis - ignorant? I'll leave that to someone with more experience in that matter....

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You have bad takes all over the place.

Muzzin is a fine player, he definitely is not the value comp to Miller. If you look at all of Muzzin's stats since the season he was traded to the Leafs, he is a good second pairing Dman (average second pairing was selling him short). However he has stats very comparable to Nate Schmidt, Goligoski, Yandle, etc. all good players, no one I would compare to the what Miller has achieved in Vancouver. Not angry, no froth, just stating that you are selling one player extremely short and I assume it's because you don't watch that player on a regular basis - ignorant? I'll leave that to someone with more experience in that matter....

6 seasons, 22 minutes a night against top comp, 14th in ev scoring among defensemen, 25 all states scoring, on the fringes of team Canada consideration (on the roster at the last best on best tournament played). Maybe the situation league wide as changed, but for many years defenders came at a premium, and a top 25-45 defender was comparable to a top 15-25 forward.

But. Fine you don't like the Muzzin comp. That again, was the floor. Floor means Miller is worth more. If you want to make a point, try and justify him being worth materially more than McDonagh.

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Here's the percentage odds I'd give this situation as someone who follows the Canucks obsessively

Miller getting traded before deadline- 15%
Miller getting traded in the off-season- 60%
Miller wanting to re-sign with Canucks and Canucks wanting to resign him- 25%

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
so 2 months in and still nothing

TDL is a month away roughly...was always PREmature to have a ton of rumours about players and them being dealt right when they came out. Teams are calling all teams to gauge what will be available, the week leading up to the TDL is when most trades always happen.

Patience, fellow grasshopper

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Going off the Muzzin and McDonagh deals, somewhere between
1st + Aminus Prospect + Bplus prospect
and
1st + Solid A Prospect + Bplus prospect + Cond 1st/2nd

no A+ level/blue chip/ top 15 in the league prospect

Well, the Rangers are out of it then. If I've learned anything from the Chairot, Miller and Chychrun threads it's that every Ranger prospect is A+ quality and will replace the Troubas, Lindgrens and Stromes of the team within days, let alone a season or two.

Reactions: AHLdepth

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
There's very little chance Miller gets traded before the trade deadline. Rutherford has said he doesnt believe his value changes between now or off-season so there is no rush. I also think Rutherford wants to change the culture in Vancouver and values being in a "playoff race" and playing meaningful games down the stretch for the development of the core. I think the Canucks are a long shot to make playoffs but this is a good experience for their young core. Trade Miller in off-season if he says he doesnt wan't to re-sign.

Is there even precedent of a top 10 scoring leader getting traded after mid- season in season while not being an upcoming UFA?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Well, the Rangers are out of it then. If I've learned anything from the Chairot, Miller and Chychrun threads it's that every Ranger prospect is A+ quality and will replace the Troubas, Lindgrens and Stromes of the team within days, let alone a season or two.

Well its not like Islanders fans under Lou know anything about prospects.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
6 seasons, 22 minutes a night against top comp, 14th in ev scoring among defensemen, 25 all states scoring, on the fringes of team Canada consideration (on the roster at the last best on best tournament played). Maybe the situation league wide as changed, but for many years defenders came at a premium, and a top 25-45 defender was comparable to a top 15-25 forward.

But. Fine you don't like the Muzzin comp. That again, was the floor. Floor means Miller is worth more. If you want to make a point, try and justify him being worth materially more than McDonagh.

I think you're overstating Muzzin's performance. Here's his even strength scoring ranking among defensemen by season (from 2012 to 2018).

12-13: Not in top 50
13-14: Not in top 50
14-15: 22nd
15-16: 22nd
16-17: Not in top 50
17-18: 25th

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Here's the percentage odds I'd give this situation as someone who follows the Canucks obsessively

Miller getting traded before deadline- 15%
Miller getting traded in the off-season- 60%
Miller wanting to re-sign with Canucks and Canucks wanting to resign him- 25%

I'd go:
5% he is traded this season. I feel the Canucks are in a playoff position by the deadline.
15% he is traded this offseason. Canucks will work hard to re sign him.
30% chance he is dealt at some stage next season if the team plays poorly, or a deal isn't going to get done
50% chance he re signs. I'd go 6x8 without question on JT Miller. Move other parts to make it work.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
HUH?? There definitely will be a bidding war if he’s available :laugh:

Obviously they are ask for more then other teams want and every so often "another" team suddenly jumps into the bidding war--there are maybe 3 teams actually involved but the canucks want more than what the teams want to give and that is when "other teams" are involved--I call it the Glen Sather special. It is obvious the Nuck management are the ones leaking these rumours

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'd go:
5% he is traded this season. I feel the Canucks are in a playoff position by the deadline.
15% he is traded this offseason. Canucks will work hard to re sign him.
30% chance he is dealt at some stage next season if the team plays poorly, or a deal isn't going to get done
50% chance he re signs. I'd go 6x8 without question on JT Miller. Move other parts to make it work.

That will be tough when JT Miller is at the age of 34,35,36 and making 8 mil while guys Like EP , Hughes and Demko will need new contracts.

Canucks would have to be serious contenders in his 30,31, 32, 33 yrs old years to make that worth it.

Do you really think the Canucks can turn this around in 1.5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad