OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bang on with those comments. Got a feeling you are going to miss all these events when you make the move to Kelowna this year. Of course no reason to believe you won't start down the road of making it happen with a new set of friends over time. When is your move planned to happen?

Oh I`ll make it happen out West. Mrs. Odaat in her final year at College, graduation in May, then were heading out West for a few weeks to house hunt. While we think Kelowna is the landing spot, we are hitting a few other spots where she has family, Metchosin, Gibsons (although we think it will be too small).

We "think" by July we`ll be packed up in the Partridge family bus and on our way

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Oh I`ll make it happen out West. Mrs. Odaat in her final year at College, graduation in May, then were heading out West for a few weeks to house hunt. While we think Kelowna is the landing spot, we are hitting a few other spots where she has family, Metchosin, Gibsons (although we think it will be too small).

We "think" by July we`ll be packed up in the Partridge family bus and on our way

Good luck with your move. I was in the Navy for almost 9 years and made 10 moves. I don't envy the cross-country move, which I've done a couple of times.

Of course, saying that, Kovi and I are talking about moving to Arizona (where I have family) in a couple of years. It's certainly a daunting idea. So I wish you luck. And especially luck in finding several good tracks to play out there!

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If Rory and Spieth can just get going at the same time golf would be amazing. We never had a real rival for Tiger. (On the course at least, off the course it turned out to be monogamy.)

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

I misunderstood your time line and though the move was happening this year.

I'll see your Partridge Family reference and raise you with The Beachcombers. An opportunity to have some meals at the iconic Molly's Reach in Gibsons! You really can't go wrong with any of your options in the area to set up shop.

Best of luck to Mrs. ODAAT as she moves into the homestretch. The May convocation will be a special time for both of you and your families.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I misunderstood your time line and though the move was happening this year.

I'll see your Partridge Family reference and raise you with The Beachcombers. An opportunity to have some meals at the iconic Molly's Reach in Gibsons! You really can't go wrong with any of your options in the area to set up shop.

Best of luck to Mrs. ODAAT as she moves into the homestretch. The May convocation will be a special time for both of you and your families.

You didn`t misunderstand friend, initially after this past school year we believed we would be shifting our train wreck of a road show outta here as Mrs Odaat would be transferring schools for her final year. As it turns out, while the program she is in is the exact same, NSCC`s offering here was recently ranked as the best in it`s training and education so she felt finishing here would open up the door to even more perspective employers so we delayed it a year.

Molly`s Reach is less than a smoke away from her mum`s place. I can verify this data personally for the last time we were in Gibson`s (which is ridiculously beautiful) the two ladies and I walked from her condo to "The Reach" as a few locals referred to it as in less time that it took for both of them to finish their last puff from a cig:laugh:

We have a standing offer from her father that we are more than welcome to shift into his place, give ourselves time to really put together a house search after we move there rather than come down for 2 weeks and put pressure on ourselves to buy something quickly, he`s in Metchosin and there are opportunities there for sure.

Some good golf courses there too:) This is the golf thread no? Haha

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
DJ drive yesterday. 439 yards.

Insane

While it`s amazing watching these guys blast it like they do, I`ve become quickly tired of watching golf and these guys destroying courses with -20 finishes.

Have to somehow find a way to design courses that take the driver out of their hands more, maybe hazards in what would be their likely landing area, or how about fairways half as wide now?

I`m not even sure that would work but I`m watching on the tube and seeing guys in the rough and it`s honestly cut lower than the rough I played out of yesterday.

I still watch the majors and while it`s insane to watch the distances these guys fire it, for my money, I want to see these guys stand on tee`s with clubs that force accuracy and punish mistakes and IMO, there is not nearly enough venues on tour that do this

Now, all that said, I "theoretically" blasted a 364 yd drive yesterday on my way to my 3rd/4th sub 80 round of my season at Ken-Wo down here. Playing number 10 which runs parallel to #1 separated by the road that is used for the entrance/exit to the course, I pasted one but started it too far left, I couldn`t see it but players on the first hole did as they were playing and when I began my look for it in the rough on #1 they yelled to me from the green that it was up there. Had to chip through tree`s, over the road with a pin about 8 paces on the green. The group on #1 said my ball took to the road for about 50 yards before stopping in the rough on the first hole.

Wound up with a bogey after the chip wouldn`t hold, needless to say, the story I am telling everyone is I cranked a drive over 360:yo:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good luck with your move. I was in the Navy for almost 9 years and made 10 moves. I don't envy the cross-country move, which I've done a couple of times.

Of course, saying that, Kovi and I are talking about moving to Arizona (where I have family) in a couple of years. It's certainly a daunting idea. So I wish you luck. And especially luck in finding several good tracks to play out there!

much appreciated. I despise the process of moving but were excited about the new beginnings and really excited for Mrs Odaat being able to be closer to her family. It`s funny but when were younger (maybe more foolish) some of us, just need space from family cuz they drive us batty:laugh:

We mature a bit, things change and priorities also shift and suddenly some of us want to be closer to family again which is the case for Mrs Odaat and I. Her family is terrific but her parents are getting older and while they are still in good health, it`s important she/we put ourselves in a position to spend some quality time with them.

If there is one regret I have with my own parents it was the fact we are out here in Halifax and they were in Ottawa and when they started declining health-wise, I wasn`t able to be there nearly as much as I would have liked

It`s a big year for us, her final year of College, getting hitched officially in Barbados in March after 13 years together then the move.......that`s alot to take in

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I have been playing a lot lately. 5x a week, since I had the pleasure of getting a lesson from ODAAT in Nova Scotia last month.

Yesterday, all the stars aligned and I broke 80 for the first time in my life at the course I work part time at, Cranbury GOlf Club in West Windsor, NJ. I left a few strokes out there too.

I followed that up with a 86 today, which is more the norm, on the same course, but I blew up in the middle 6, going 8 over from, hole 7-12.

Golf is a lot more fun when you play well.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I have been playing a lot lately. 5x a week, since I had the pleasure of getting a lesson from ODAAT in Nova Scotia last month.

Yesterday, all the stars aligned and I broke 80 for the first time in my life at the course I work part time at, Cranbury GOlf Club in West Windsor, NJ. I left a few strokes out there too.

I followed that up with a 86 today, which is more the norm, on the same course, but I blew up in the middle 6, going 8 over from, hole 7-12.

I broke 80 for the first time this year twice.

The curse

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I don`t qualify to give lessons to anyone, left with a golf grip who doesn`t wear a glove:laugh:

I have broken 80 one other time since we last played (Ken Wo) but the other rounds I`ve hovered around the 80-83 mark, also leaving shots out there. Played last week at Eagle Crest, one of those rare courses that start with a par 3, tee shot in the bunker right behind the lip, hammered it across the green into the other bunker where it landed right behind the lip, put that over the green, chipped on and two putted, triple bogey start.

Immediately birdied #2 because golf makes so much sense and finished the day with an 82

Hit em` straight

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

I missed this thread...I grew up in Gibsons. It's a pretty fantastic spot, but... the population is aging, it's pretty expensive to live there and (unless you're big on hiking, mountain biking, boating etc) there isn't much to do.

The golf course in Roberts Creek is phenomenal though.

If you end up in Metchosin we should hit the links, and/or a Royals game

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I missed this thread...I grew up in Gibsons. It's a pretty fantastic spot, but... the population is aging, it's pretty expensive to live there and (unless you're big on hiking, mountain biking, boating etc) there isn't much to do.

The golf course in Roberts Creek is phenomenal though.

If you end up in Metchosin we should hit the links, and/or a Royals game

we shall indeed, when I was last in Metchosin, I played Olympic View, great course, humbled me for sure. Was pressed for time on another day and had a blast at a par 3 course out there too, can`t recall the name of it though

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
84 today.. 44-40 spilt.
Driver was off, but I was money on the green..

:yo:

not sure why, but I have always been more pumped when my putter is on than my driver being on, must be due to the fact that I have other options when on the tee although I suppose I could use my 1 iron on the greens:laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
:yo:

not sure why, but I have always been more pumped when my putter is on than my driver being on, must be due to the fact that I have other options when on the tee although I suppose I could use my 1 iron on the greens:laugh:

I would rather slice into the woods on the tee box than three putt.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
yesterday cut out from work a little early, bought some more balls (you all know why), and hit the range. Was working on getting a more complete shoulder turn and it did wonders. I hit the ball a lot more consistently. Still hitting some fat, but not as often as before, and definitely making better contact. Now I'm looking forward to my next round. Unfortunately I'm tied up with reffing all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad