OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
had a great day with Bruins Uncensored on the links yesterday, he was way nicer than all you folks warned me about:)<<<<< absolute sarcasm

Great guy, great Bruins chat, fun afternoon, we shall do it again

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
had a great day with Bruins Uncensored on the links yesterday, he was way nicer than all you folks warned me about:)<<<<< absolute sarcasm

Great guy, great Bruins chat, fun afternoon, we shall do it again

Certainly was a great day... but I warn you all. If you ever play with ODAAT, leave your wallet in the car.

He'll take all your money...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Certainly was a great day... but I warn you all. If you ever play with ODAAT, leave your wallet in the car.

He'll take all your money...

haha, bring your wallets, I won`t play like that again this year. Lots of fun

How did you enjoy Chester? Wish I could have joined you

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
haha, bring your wallets, I won`t play like that again this year. Lots of fun

How did you enjoy Chester? Wish I could have joined you

Great to see you guys taking your hockey connection from the board and taking the time and effort to extend it to having some fun on the golf course. I'm sure you are enjoying it immensely. Living large in the off season just like the pros. :handclap:

May have found the perfect Xmas or birthday gifts for you guys if you are able to convince your loved ones you are worth the investment. What design would you ask for?

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017...ifax-leather-covers-turn-heads-worldwide.html

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great to see you guys taking your hockey connection from the board and taking the time and effort to extend it to having some fun on the golf course. I'm sure you are enjoying it immensely. Living large in the off season just like the pros. :handclap:

May have found the perfect Xmas or birthday gifts for you guys if you are able to convince your loved ones you are worth the investment. What design would you ask for?

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017...ifax-leather-covers-turn-heads-worldwide.html

It was fun, Glenn attends all those camps and I bent his ear a ton about his thoughts, talked about alot of stuff, great day.

I saw that article the other day, already forwarded to Mrs Odaat;)

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia

I have no "Loved Ones"... :(:(:(

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Another 84 today. 4 three putts. I think I am going to meltdown my putter and mold it into an ashtray.

Mrs Odaat and I will be there Wednesday to pick it up, we don`t have to claim that at customs do we??:laugh:

Nothing wrong with an 84 though

I didn`t have one 3 putt the last round BUT, I did have a classic 4 putt. 2 tiered green which of course I was above the hole on, hit it too hard and goodbye, ugg

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Too funny. :laugh: Will have to start a "Go fund me" page for you. I'm sure if the folks on the board step up and show you some love you should be able to at least cover your putter.

I worked in the golf industry for years and have no need for any more equipment. lol I think I have 5 complete sets of clubs. :)

I do however wish to have a "loved one" some day.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fresh off our 3 day trek to Boston, I am hitting new Ashburn today, armed with a new set of Bruins head covers and golf shirt, NOTHING could go wrong today:)

Edit: that "NOTHING could go wrong today" statement couldn`t have been more wrong.

Golf is a humbling game and all the good things I did in the round previous, I did the opposite yesterday. Not to make excuses but I felt wiped by the 9th hole, might have been the +90 temps in Boston for our 3 day trek, either way, fought for an 87, which was only achieved by back to back birds on 17 and 18 to finish out. 4 double bogey`s....ugg

Last edited:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
I worked in the golf industry for years and have no need for any more equipment. lol I think I have 5 complete sets of clubs. :)

I do however wish to have a "loved one" some day.

Hang in there. The odds have to tilt in your favour at some point. The song lyric "Lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely ...." is now stuck in my head.:laugh:

Here is an idea for you, ODAAT and company for your next tournament. Seems to be a legitimate move afoot to inject some much needed fun and excitement into the pro game. Im sure the players would love it as would the TV broadcasters. The fans would eat this up.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/players-canadian-open-intrigued-golfsixes-potential/

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hang in there. The odds have to tilt in your favour at some point. The song lyric "Lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely ...." is now stuck in my head.:laugh:

Here is an idea for you, ODAAT and company for your next tournament. Seems to be a legitimate move afoot to inject some much needed fun and excitement into the pro game. Im sure the players would love it as would the TV broadcasters. The fans would eat this up.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/players-canadian-open-intrigued-golfsixes-potential/

Seems kinda gimmicky, but at the same time, I would definitely watch it. Would probably be a lot of fun. I could see that sort of thing being really cool at a lower level tournament.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seems kinda gimmicky, but at the same time, I would definitely watch it. Would probably be a lot of fun. I could see that sort of thing being really cool at a lower level tournament.

it is gimmicky but man, as amazed as I am at the increasing skill of the players on tour, if there`s something missing it`s the personalities and lack of excitement. Now, not sure this changes personalities but at least it`s a bit of thinking outside of the box and it`s not really making a massive change on the game of golf.

We have 32 of us heading out to play at the end of August, not really a tournament, just a once a year day of fun where players of all skills and age get together, joined by the wives for supper at the club.

What we have done over the years is we toss a few rules in and rules is perhaps stretching it a bit but it`s more about a focus on pace of play. We all agree that we don`t look for a ball in the woods for more than 1 minute, were not on tour, we don`t go back and hit 3 off the tee, drop one at point of entry and hit your 3rd from there.

We also have suggested (and it was received well) that for those who have handicaps of 20+ to hit from the forward tee`s. The first year we suggested this, it was met with a bit of resistance but those players who it applied to found that the game was both more fair as they were often teeing off from a spot where hazards weren`t really in play, and the holes were shorter and in the last few years, we actually have more of the guys hitting from the forward tee`s than we do from the white tee`s and it`s worked well.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

Perfect fit for the rip roaring fan friendly event that is the Waste Management event in Scottsdale. Mixing a few non traditional tournaments into the schedule would be a win for players and fans. In the bigger picture there is a concerted move afoot, championed by Scott Pelly who is running the European tour and introduced this format, to create a world tour. Seems to be a logical step to make given the global growth of the game.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
it is gimmicky but man, as amazed as I am at the increasing skill of the players on tour, if there`s something missing it`s the personalities and lack of excitement. Now, not sure this changes personalities but at least it`s a bit of thinking outside of the box and it`s not really making a massive change on the game of golf.

We have 32 of us heading out to play at the end of August, not really a tournament, just a once a year day of fun where players of all skills and age get together, joined by the wives for supper at the club.

What we have done over the years is we toss a few rules in and rules is perhaps stretching it a bit but it`s more about a focus on pace of play. We all agree that we don`t look for a ball in the woods for more than 1 minute, were not on tour, we don`t go back and hit 3 off the tee, drop one at point of entry and hit your 3rd from there.

We also have suggested (and it was received well) that for those who have handicaps of 20+ to hit from the forward tee`s. The first year we suggested this, it was met with a bit of resistance but those players who it applied to found that the game was both more fair as they were often teeing off from a spot where hazards weren`t really in play, and the holes were shorter and in the last few years, we actually have more of the guys hitting from the forward tee`s than we do from the white tee`s and it`s worked well.

The pro game is hardly know for overflowing enthusiasm. Would be a great move to inject a little in my mind.

Great format you have in place for you annual get together. When you level the playing field with some tweaks to balance out the wide range of abilities in the game it lends itself to far more folks wanting to join you and have some fun. That will help with keeping them coming back for the event. Bonus points for getting the non playing wives involved as well. Keeping the golfing widows happy by including them can go a long way to having a better summer on the links. You play better when there is less stress. ;)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The pro game is hardly know for overflowing enthusiasm. Would be a great move to inject a little in my mind.

Great format you have in place for you annual get together. When you level the playing field with some tweaks to balance out the wide range of abilities in the game it lends itself to far more folks wanting to join you and have some fun. That will help with keeping them coming back for the event. Bonus points for getting the non playing wives involved as well. Keeping the golfing widows happy by including them can go a long way to having a better summer on the links. You play better when there is less stress. ;)

oh we know how to keep the peace:laugh:

All of our wives are AOK, I`ve heard stories from people about their partners not being overly thrilled with their spouse hitting the links but again, this group of guys aren`t a group who are all playing 3 times a week, most are lucky if they are able to get out 3 times a month with work/family obligations

I have typically organized an XMas brunch at whatever restaurant I was currently managing which we used as our "thanks" to the wives but I`m no longer in that business and this seemed like a good time to do it. There`s about a 20 who are able to attend and they`ll be doing lunch and shopping in Mahone Bay while were golfing and fly down the highway for some BBQ and cake for one of the wives who is celebrating her birthday.

As you mentioned, no fun to play I imagine if you have the stress of knowing your spouse isn`t terribly thrilled your on the course

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
oh we know how to keep the peace:laugh:

All of our wives are AOK, I`ve heard stories from people about their partners not being overly thrilled with their spouse hitting the links but again, this group of guys aren`t a group who are all playing 3 times a week, most are lucky if they are able to get out 3 times a month with work/family obligations

I have typically organized an XMas brunch at whatever restaurant I was currently managing which we used as our "thanks" to the wives but I`m no longer in that business and this seemed like a good time to do it. There`s about a 20 who are able to attend and they`ll be doing lunch and shopping in Mahone Bay while were golfing and fly down the highway for some BBQ and cake for one of the wives who is celebrating her birthday.

As you mentioned, no fun to play I imagine if you have the stress of knowing your spouse isn`t terribly thrilled your on the course

Bang on with those comments. Got a feeling you are going to miss all these events when you make the move to Kelowna this year. Of course no reason to believe you won't start down the road of making it happen with a new set of friends over time. When is your move planned to happen?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Best friend from college runs a tournament in Vegas every November (no more reasons needed, right!?). It's two day scramble, and after the first day, he comes up with creative handicaps for those doing well, and assistances for those in the back of the pack. It really added to the fun of it. For example, after the first day, my team was in 4th and my son (then 22 and a 1 handicap) could play any of his woods. He says this year he's gonna find a 1 iron just for this tournament!:laugh:

I think those tournaments are a lot more fun, though I think that's really the intention. Wish I could do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad