GDT: Official Flames Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have no doubts that he does have some sources. Are a lot of things exaggerated, of course. But I do believe he reports everything he hears, whether it be a legit rumour, or just a buddy in the industry (ie. Millions) that thinks player X would be a good fit on team A.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have no doubts that he does have some sources. Are a lot of things exaggerated, of course. But I do believe he reports everything he hears, whether it be a legit rumour, or just a buddy in the industry (ie. Millions) that thinks player X would be a good fit on team A.

Seems like he has a beat on certain teams, aka Flyers.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Vrbata going to Nucks

Yeah, saw Eklund had reported this as well (E4).. gotta give credit where it's due, Benning has definitely had the kind of no-nonsense offseason the Canucks desperately needed. Vrbata will slot nicely into their top-6..

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Homerism at its Best. Nothing with that I guess hoping Raymond outscores Vrbata. Vrbata with the Sedins is good. Not so much Burrows.

Raymond scored 6 less points than Vrbata did last year playing all over in the top 9. There's nothing homerish about my comment. If Radim plays with the Sedins all season, then yes he should do quite well. But I'm not sure that there won't be the usual revolving door at that spot. I think Vrbata ends up with about 40pts which Raymond is capable of topping. Raymond is gonna get top minutes next season will have a good opportunity to succeed. At the very least, their totals will be close.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Raymond scored 6 less points than Vrbata did last year playing all over in the top 9. There's nothing homerish about my comment. If Radim plays with the Sedins all season, then yes he should do quite well. But I'm not sure that there won't be the usual revolving door at that spot. I think Vrbata ends up with about 40pts which Raymond is capable of topping. Raymond is gonna get top minutes next season will have a good opportunity to succeed. At the very least, their totals will be close.

I missed one word so it sounded really bad than what it was. I meant to say " Nothing wrong with that I guess...etc"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I missed one word so it sounded really bad than what it was. I meant to say " Nothing wrong with that I guess...etc"

Haha all good. I expect most people to think Vrbata will outscore him anyways, but I have a hunch that Raymond is going to look like the better signing especially at that money.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope that's not the case, there should be at least 2 or 3 available providing the spots are earned. Of course we can move guys out, but we won't be moving out newly acquired guys. Stajan just signed an extension, Bollig was just acquired, Mason just signed, so that leaves Jones (who I doubt can be moved), Glencross (may not even waive), and Hudler. I guess Colborne would be a candidate, but I really like the progression we saw in him last year and I think it would be foolish to lose him this early.
if there are 2-3 open spots and no one steps up to earn them, then what? All the Ufa's are gone, and we end up using rookies that aren't ready anyways and risk stunting their development. The best option is making them earn the spots and then trade players to make room once they have. People always says they want us to develop players like the wings, then they don't actually have the patience to do it.

Thats not the only difference.
Players with two way contracts can be sent down to the ahl without having to go through waivers which means potentially losing the player
that is not true at all. Waiver eligibility is based solely on age and games played.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
that is not true at all. Waiver eligibility is based solely on age and games played.

There's widespread confusion on this point, and I think that 99% of that confusion stems from the fact that in the EA Sports NHL franchise, a 2-way contract means you can send a player down without going through waivers.:laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's widespread confusion on this point, and I think that 99% of that confusion stems from the fact that in the EA Sports NHL franchise, a 2-way contract means you can send a player down without going through waivers.:laugh:
Oh I know.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
in a THN article

Calgary: The Flames shored up their goaltending position by bringing in Jonas Hiller. Right now, he’s the likely No. 1, but the team also likes Karri Ramo, who played pretty well for them last season. At the very least, the two will become a platoon that brings a little stability to the Flames’ net. Because as difficult as the rebuild process is, it’s made much harder and longer if you don’t have a reliable goalie. The Flames also acquired Mason Raymond for OK value at $3.15 million for three years. He was underpaid by the Leafs and should be a good 20-goal man for the Flames. Both of those signings fit and make sense for the Flames. But Deryk Engelland? Brian Burke’s fingerprints are all over this truculent signing, but a $2.9 million cap hit for this guy is outrageous. That contract brings Calgary’s grade down by a full letter grade. GRADE: B-

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
AF, those are good points for sure. But I feel like we have a plethora of young kids that are close to NHL ready now. And if some are not, we have enough guys in the pipe where we could rotate players throughout the season. Right now, I only see one player that's for sure tradable forward in our lineup and that is Hudler. And I can't see any rookie matching what he will provide next season so I doubt he is moved.

Glencross may not waive, Jones is probably untradable, Bollig and Raymond just got here and Stajan just resigned. We won't be moving Backlund, Colborne or Monahan, so really who else is moveable?

Don't get me wrong, you have an excellent point and I want spots earned to. But as of now, it appears as though there is actually only 1 spot available for Gaudreau, Baertschi and Reinhart. All 3 them, maybe even Bennett could potentially make the team, and I just don't see a lot of room for player movement if that were to happen. It's a fine line being able to juggle that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
AF, those are good points for sure. But I feel like we have a plethora of young kids that are close to NHL ready now. And if some are not, we have enough guys in the pipe where we could rotate players throughout the season. Right now, I only see one player that's for sure tradable forward in our lineup and that is Hudler. And I can't see any rookie matching what he will provide next season so I doubt he is moved.

Glencross may not waive, Jones is probably untradable, Bollig and Raymond just got here and Stajan just resigned. We won't be moving Backlund, Colborne or Monahan, so really who else is moveable?

Don't get me wrong, you have an excellent point and I want spots earned to. But as of now, it appears as though there is actually only 1 spot available for Gaudreau, Baertschi and Reinhart. All 3 them, maybe even Bennett could potentially make the team, and I just don't see a lot of room for player movement if that were to happen. It's a fine line being able to juggle that.
Right now I still see 4 spots open. I would say they are the 4th line C spot, 13th/14th forward and 7th defenseman.

Going into camp I see things as:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma/Bolig - Stajan - Jones
Bouma/Bolig - Open - McGrattan
Open - Open

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Open

We can sign players to fill those holes as they are low end positions and if the kids earn these spots then guys can be pushed down in the lineup, or even out of it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Right now I still see 4 spots open. I would say they are the 4th line C spot, 13th/14th forward and 7th defenseman.

Going into camp I see things as:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma/Bolig - Stajan - Jones
Bouma/Bolig - Open - McGrattan
Open - Open

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Open

We can sign players to fill those holes as they are low end positions and if the kids earn these spots then guys can be pushed down in the lineup, or even out of it.

I'm anticipating Gaudreau and Baertschi both make it, Bennett goes back to Jr. Here's what I wanna see.

Baertschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Raymond
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - Jones
McGrattan

Brodie - Gio
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Engelland
Wotherspoon/MDZ

Hiller
Ramo

I guess as long as no more signings are made, considering there's always injuries, this is still okay. I'm just keeping in mind that Knight, Reinhart and Arnold are all close as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Eklund says Flames talking to Del Zotto.

Calgary AND Edmonton were in on this earlier this season for a trade; so... I could see it, not sure where the guy would fit in unless Wideman is moved elsewhere.

I think we should take a go at this guy.
24 Years old, already 2 35+ Point seasons out of him, plus a third if there wasn't the shortened season. Isn't very dynamic defensively, but I'd love him here more than Wideman; gives us three defensive pairs that will allow for good skating PMD with a very solid defensive Dman.

Brodie - Gio
Smid - MDZ
Russell - Engellande

I think he's worth the gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad