GDT: Official Flames Free Agent Frenzy 2014

May 27, 2012
Earth
Mueller still available, 46 points in 49 games. Big RH centre. Gives us a 4th line C. He says he's healthy

He says he is healthy. He probably is, but when you have had a concussion or concussions your mentality changes when you hit the ice. He will be thinking when the next hit will happen, should I go in the corner? etc. He has done well in the Swiss league because he has more room to move and there is less hitting.

Wouldn't be wise to sign him. Multiple concussions later and I suffer from PCS. Concussions destroyed Bouchard's career, he was a good player. I know from experience. He would just be a liability on the ice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mueller still available, 46 points in 49 games. Big RH centre. Gives us a 4th line C. He says he's healthy

46 points in 49 games in the Swiss league***. I don't think he's an ideal 4th line centre, nor do I think he's able to displace one of our other three.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only difference between a 1 way and a 2-way contract is the amount that player is paid when sent to the AHL, it has nothing to do with roster spots on the NHL squad.

I know. By one-way, I meant players who management thinks are NHL players, e.g. Vrbata.

If they want prospects to compete for a spot, they actually need to have a spot open for them.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Sounds like there will be one forward position available for a prospect.

Feels like the Flames want the kids to develop together, whether in the NHL or AHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sounds like there will be one forward position available for a prospect.

Feels like the Flames want the kids to develop together, whether in the NHL or AHL.

I hope that's not the case, there should be at least 2 or 3 available providing the spots are earned. Of course we can move guys out, but we won't be moving out newly acquired guys. Stajan just signed an extension, Bollig was just acquired, Mason just signed, so that leaves Jones (who I doubt can be moved), Glencross (may not even waive), and Hudler. I guess Colborne would be a candidate, but I really like the progression we saw in him last year and I think it would be foolish to lose him this early.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I hope that's not the case, there should be at least 2 or 3 available providing the spots are earned. Of course we can move guys out, but we won't be moving out newly acquired guys. Stajan just signed an extension, Bollig was just acquired, Mason just signed, so that leaves Jones (who I doubt can be moved), Glencross (may not even waive), and Hudler. I guess Colborne would be a candidate, but I really like the progression we saw in him last year and I think it would be foolish to lose him this early.

I agree with that. There's the very real possibility that the Flames ice zero rookies next year on opening day, not because none are ready, but because there's too many vets in their way. And for a rebuilding team, that's just bizarre.

Given what was seen last year, at least two of Baertschi, Gaudreau, Reinhart and Granlund should make the team (assuming they're ready of course). At this point, there's room for maybe one. And that doesn't even include the likes of Wolf or potential dark horses like Bennett, Knight or Arnold.

They've got to move out a couple of bodies upfront or at the very least, not have McGrattan be an everyday player.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Flames have signed Brad Thiessen (G) and
Sena Acolatse (D) who didn't receive QO from sharks

from various twitter / internet sources (Colin Dambrauskas, CP forums, @duckstalkshow, @nlgoaltending)

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Islanders top 6 and 9 next season. The Islanders have improved, defense is iffy.

Grabner - Tavares - Okposo
Conacher - Grabovski - Kulemin
Strome? - Neilson - Bailey/Lee

flamingflamer

May 26, 2014
The only difference between a 1 way and a 2-way contract is the amount that player is paid when sent to the AHL, it has nothing to do with roster spots on the NHL squad.

Thats not the only difference.
Players with two way contracts can be sent down to the ahl without having to go through waivers which means potentially losing the player

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Islanders top 6 and 9 next season. The Islanders have improved, defense is iffy.

Grabner - Tavares - Okposo
Conacher - Grabovski - Kulemin
Strome? - Neilson - Bailey/Lee

I think you're more likely to see Strome with Tavares.

Strome-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Grabo-Kulemin
Conacher-Nielsen-Lee

With Bailey probably getting traded

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Thats not the only difference.
Players with two way contracts can be sent down to the ahl without having to go through waivers which means potentially losing the player

Wrong. Waivers has to do with age and games played, whether or not they are on a 2 way contract means nothing. 2 way contracts only effect salary not waivers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames have signed Brad Thiessen (G) and
Sena Acolatse (D) who didn't receive QO from sharks

from various twitter / internet sources (Colin Dambrauskas, CP forums, @duckstalkshow, @nlgoaltending)

That should fill some holes on the farm. I thought that Acolatse was pretty highly regarded in the Sharks' system, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad