Official Expansion Draft Protection Thread (Howard protected over Mrazek)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Basically it comes down to "do you think Mrazek is a core piece".

If yes, be as pissed as you want about this
If no (which is the prevailing belief here), why worry about losing him? He won't be around when we are good anyway, right? If we have Jimmy and Coreau instead of Pete, we will finish worse.

If you're a proponent of the rebuild at all costs? This is a move that is good for you, not bad

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm probably minority, but I think Mrazek is trash and hope he gets taken.

This is agood list and I think Ken Holland had a win today.

+1 for Kenny.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Basically it comes down to "do you think Mrazek is a core piece".

If yes, be as pissed as you want about this
If no (which is the prevailing belief here), why worry about losing him? He won't be around when we are good anyway, right? If we have Jimmy and Coreau instead of Pete, we will finish worse.

If you're a proponent of the rebuild at all costs? This is a move that is good for you, not bad

if holland doesn't see him as a core piece, why not trade him for something instead of risking losing him for nothing?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is a great move.

When Howard gets injured the team can ride a 0.887 save percentage to the draft lottery for years.

Yeah, I've never been in the hard core tank group. However if Mrazek does get claimed - and you have no idea how badly I want him to get claimed - I'm fully down with burning it down the ground. Mrazek is the only guy who's career to date indicates he could be really good. You can't say that about Larkin, Mantha or DeKeyser. The rest of the roster is a text book definition of mediocrity.

If Mrazek gets claimed it is going to be awesome to watch Holland explain why he decided to protect an old, injury prone goalie who has never played an entire season at a high level. :popcorn:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
if holland doesn't see him as a core piece, why not trade him for something instead of risking losing him for nothing?

Do you have a source that says he didn't try? I doubt too many teams were looking to trade picks for a middle of the pack unproven goalies during an expansion draft.

Look at all the players exposed by other teams. Why would anyone want to trade assets for Mrazek when they could find better players to trade for?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Disappointed... Really don't have much else to add.

Protecting Howard

Not leaving DeKeyser exposed and exposing all of our bad contracts is horrific.

Wasn't there grumblings that Mrazek isn't exactly pleasing management with some of his behavior? I think it was him and AA we have heard that about and it is troubling if true as no matter how much we like them I don't expect them to be around long-term if they have issues meshing within the organization. Glad to see they at least protected AA.

Mrazek was bad last year, this is still an awful decision.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Man these next couple of weeks will be interesting in Motown, Have to wonder even if McPhee doesn't take Mrazek that his days in Detroit are numbered. Not sure where he would go but it definitely sounds like he's possibly out the door.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Any clue as to why Holland wouldn't protect petr mrazek?

Because he's been good for the wings except for this past year (and he had great stretches) and performs way better then Howard in prime time playoffs (career proves this) as a rookie and not a 30 year old declining vet

It's amazing how he lets the only potential goalie of the future we have unprotected. He must think the wings are the only team in the league. How many teams have had goalie problems these past couple years? Hmm let me count Around 12-15 who have a bad or soon to be bad goalie situation

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, there's really no defending the move. If I had to guess my take would be that Holland felt the goalie market was so soft he could risk exposing a goalie. However the obvious choice was Howard, no one is going to take that contract off your hands. This is Kenny turtling like he always does and wants to go with the "proven" veteran. In this case your proven veteran has won one playoff series in his career and the Wings were actually outscored in that series.

The fact he protected Howard shows he is fully committed to trying to get back into the playoffs next year. What a joke, I really do hope Mrazek gets claimed.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, there's really no defending the move. If I had to guess my take would be that Holland felt the goalie market was so soft he could risk exposing a goalie. However the obvious choice was Howard, no one is going to take that contract off your hands. This is Kenny turtling like he always does and wants to go with the "proven" veteran. In this case your proven veteran has won one playoff series in his career and the Wings were actually outscored in that series.

The fact he protected Howard shows he is fully committed to trying to get back into the playoffs next year. What a joke, I really do hope Mrazek gets claimed.

No way. He must have two or three. Wasn't he the goalie in 2010 and 11 or something

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's all about loyalty

It's an admirable trait but it dos ent build championship teams

I hope he gets taken and they trade him to Winnipeg for a 2nd and a prospect 24hrs later
If that happens, it doesn't mean the same team would have traded for him before the expansion draft.

I didn't realize so many thought that the important thing to lock down right now was our goaltending. In terms of rebuilding, goalies are usually easier to find than d-men and forwards. Even if Mrazek turns into that rare, elite goalie (which he did not look like at all this season), you don't need more than an Osgood, Murray, Crawford, Fleury etc. to win cups. And if Mrazek turns into Carey Price next season, what good does it do us? We don't even want that. We want more good draft picks.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Mildly shocking to see Howard over Mrazek but neither were likely to be taken and Howard significantly been the better goalie over the last year.

Expected all the skaters that were picked and as I said before, you'd have to be blind to pick Oulette over Jensen despite being older.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If that happens, it doesn't mean the same team would have traded for him before the expansion draft.

I didn't realize so many thought that the important thing to lock down right now was our goaltending. In terms of rebuilding, goalies are usually easier to find than d-men and forwards. Even if Mrazek turns into that rare, elite goalie (which he did not look like at all this season), you don't need more than an Osgood, Murray, Crawford, Fleury etc. to win cups. And if Mrazek turns into Carey Price next season, what good does it do us? We don't even want that. We want more good draft picks.

I don't like it because it just continues to send a bad message about the decline of Ken Holland. But I do agree with you, I don't really care if we lose Mrazek or Howard. By the time the team is ready to win serviceable goalies will be available.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
MAF and Mrazek would give them a shot every night.

They are going to take a guy they can stash in the minors as well. But I would still take MAF and Grubauer.

But again my guess is GMGM's phone is ringing for say Winnipeg interested in Mrazek. Does he flip him for better than taking Sheahan or Ouellet. I think he can but I don't know what is out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad