Official Coyotes 2023-24 Season Discussion (Poll Included)

How many points will the Coyotes get this season???

• 100+

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 90-99

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 80-89

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 70-79

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Less than 70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Crotty has been recalled. I think we drop Soderstrom this summer.
I think you are probably right and what a massive whiff by Chayka (and others).

“Any time you can get a premium player at a premium position, that’s what we’re after,” he [Chayka] said. “We weren’t leaving the draft without him. We were going to do whatever it took to get up and get him.”

“We saw him throughout the whole year — I don’t know how many viewings, but hundreds of viewings,” Hofford [Coyotes scouting director at the time] said. “Right across the board, he was a five-star guy for us so it was a no-brainer. We liked every aspect of his game and every aspect of his character." (They may have wanted to go brain instead of no-brain.)

“Every one of the scouts loved him and all the testing we did with where we think he’s going with the growth mindset was off the charts,” Hofford said.

“We had him third overall on our list for a reason,” Chayka said. “He’s a foundational player for us. You can’t trade for guys like that.”

(The Athletic)

11th - Soderstrom
12th - Boldy
14th - York
15th - Caufield
18th - Harley
43rd - Vlasic

(Wikipedia)

Didn't know this side note (before he joined the Coyotes)...

"One Toronto Maple Leafs’ scout spent too much time checking out draft beers instead of draft picks this weekend. Lindsay Hofford, the team’s director of Eastern Area scouting, was arrested over the weekend after allegedly getting drunk at an upstate New York amusement park, stealing a golf cart, crashing into another vehicle, and then fleeing the scene."

(The Comeback)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

“Any time you can get a premium player at a premium position, that’s what we’re after,” he [Chayka] said. “We weren’t leaving the draft without him. We were going to do whatever it took to get up and get him.”

“We saw him throughout the whole year — I don’t know how many viewings, but hundreds of viewings,” Hofford [Coyotes scouting director at the time] said. “Right across the board, he was a five-star guy for us so it was a no-brainer. We liked every aspect of his game and every aspect of his character." (They may have wanted to go brain instead of no-brain.)

“Every one of the scouts loved him and all the testing we did with where we think he’s going with the growth mindset was off the charts,” Hofford said.

“We had him third overall on our list for a reason,” Chayka said. “He’s a foundational player for us. You can’t trade for guys like that.”

(The Athletic)

11th - Soderstrom
12th - Boldy
14th - York
15th - Caufield
18th - Harley
43rd - Vlasic

(Wikipedia)

"One Toronto Maple Leafs’ scout spent too much time checking out draft beers instead of draft picks this weekend. Lindsay Hofford, the team’s director of Eastern Area scouting, was arrested over the weekend after allegedly getting drunk at an upstate New York amusement park, stealing a golf cart, crashing into another vehicle, and then fleeing the scene."

(The Comeback)
In fairness to Chayka (and it's not like me to stick up for Mr Wendy's), 2019 has proven to be a pretty weak draft class thus far. Byram, Turcotte, Broberg, Zegres, Podkolzin all went before Soderstrom. Hughes and Seider are the only top tier players to date. And Chayka did land Maccilli in the 4th...probably the highest value pick in the draft after Hughes/Seider.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

(The Athletic)

11th - Soderstrom
12th - Boldy
14th - York
15th - Caufield
18th - Harley
43rd - Vlasic

(Wikipedia)

(The Comeback)

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Soderstrom turned 23 a month ago. He's got over 50 NHL games under his belt. At the same age, Durzi was just getting into his first NHL games.

Soderstrom has little trade value and we've got a wide-open D-corps. He might not turn into anything, but he's had a nice growth season in Tucson. Carry him as the #7 and see what happens.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Soderstrom turned 23 a month ago. He's got over 50 NHL games under his belt. At the same age, Durzi was just getting into his first NHL games.

Soderstrom has little trade value and we've got a wide-open D-corps. He might not turn into anything, but he's had a nice growth season in Tucson. Carry him as the #7 and see what happens.
Yup. Bring 7 D to opening night and let them figure it out. I'm personally sick of giving up on prospects too early.

He may be 25 when he finally puts it all together. We aren't going to get anything worth a damn trading him. Keep him and let him put it together here.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yup. Bring 7 D to opening night and let them figure it out. I'm personally sick of giving up on prospects too early.

He may be 25 when he finally puts it all together. We aren't going to get anything worth a damn trading him. Keep him and let him put it together here.
Absolutely.
My only disagreement with what you've said is that I think he's already put it together. I think he just needs an extended opportunity to prove it.

If he gets that extended chance and he's not showing his worth by Xmas then waive him.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
And Chayka did land Maccilli in the 4th...probably the highest value pick in the draft after Hughes/Seider.
Yeah, and those guys went 1st and 6th overall. For the first 5 years so far, Maccelli's a landslide steal of the draft.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Absolutely.
My only disagreement with what you've said is that I think he's already put it together. I think he just needs an extended opportunity to prove it.

If he gets that extended chance and he's not showing his worth by Xmas then waive him.
I don't care for his size, but he hasn't shown to be a detriment. My hope would be that he keeps learning and brings more than just not being a detriment, in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah you don't give up on 23 year old defensemen, unless it's a change of scenery trade for a similar undervalued player imo.
I agree, IF that player has shown progression and I'm not sure Soderstrom has. Mind you, last year BA seemed to be happy with his play. I haven't heard any comments this year.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I agree, IF that player has shown progression and I'm not sure Soderstrom has. Mind you, last year BA seemed to be happy with his play. I haven't heard any comments this year.
I think Bill has cooled on Soderstom only because Durzi has taken the job and ran with it. Bill likes a heavy D corps. There can only be a couple smaller guys.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Small Sample Size Stat of the Day

5v5 S/60
Josh Doan
24.6​
Lawson Crouse
8.7​
Dylan Guenther
8.3​
Michael Carcone
8.0​
Clayton Keller
7.7​
Jason Zucker
7.6​
Nick Bjugstad
7.6​
John Leonard
7.4​
Logan Cooley
6.1​
Nick Schmaltz
5.9​
Barrett Hayton
5.8​
Matias Maccelli
5.8​

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think Bill has cooled on Soderstom only because Durzi has taken the job and ran with it. Bill likes a heavy D corps. There can only be a couple smaller guys.
Soderstrom is the same size as Stecher and that's whose minutes I expect him to take next season.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Soderstrom is the same size as Stecher and that's whose minutes I expect him to take next season.
I agree. He'll probably get that 3RD role. Unless Stecher himself comes back for round 3.

I'm thinking about long-term planning. I think Bill used to see Soderstom in the long-term plan but he doesn't anymore. Durzi, Lamoureux and Kesselring at RD. If we get Yakemchuk then it's even more competitive.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I just don't get why on earth some here want to get rid of Soderstrom, is he a bad locker room guy or something? If not why not keep him and hope he can eventually take that next step. It's not like they'll get anything notable for him anyway so might as well keep him. I mean isn't the worst case scenario him being a good player for Tuscon. :dunno:

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Small sample size for certain, but it was amazing to see what I believe the effect of Doan's arrival had on the team. Thus far I'm loving the way the kid plays and it seems he pumped some new life into the team. Crazy to say, but this is what a Captain looks like, imo anyway.

I just don't get why on earth they would get rid of Soderstrom unless he's a locker room guy or something. Otherwise why not keep him and hope he can eventually take that next step. It's not like they'll get anything notable for him, so might as well keep him and worst case scenario he's a good player for Tucson. :dunno:
Couldn't agree more.... thinking you meant NOT a good locker room guy anyway - LOL

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Small sample size for certain, but it was amazing to see what I believe the effect of Doan's arrival had on the team. Thus far I'm loving the way the kid plays and it seems he pumped some new life into the team. Crazy to say, but this is what a Captain looks like, imo anyway.

Couldn't agree more.... thinking you meant NOT a good locker room guy anyway - LOL
haha yeah, you quoted me before I could complete my ninja edit overhaul.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
They really can't send Doan back now the way he's playing, it would send a bad message to the players, so Tucson will really have to step it up without their two top scorers (Doan/Guenther).

I must say that it is so refreshing to have kids come in and produce, but not only produce, but look great doing it. From Doan, Cooley, Guenther.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
...and fellas remember that we still have Raty who plays a similar game to Doan...we're going to be a menace on the forecheck finally.
I believe Raty is a C as well. rt said that Doan played C at ASU, so maybe next year he gets a try there?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
They really can't send Doan back now the way he's playing, it would send a bad message to the players, so Tucson will really have to step it up without their two top scorers (Doan/Guenther).

I must say that it is so refreshing to have kids come in and produce, but not only produce, but look great doing it. From Doan, Cooley, Guenther.
Yep I think I'm still in shell shock for so many seasons where this isn't the case.

Just a couple years ago it felt awesome that Jenik scored a couple during his cup of coffee. But there was nothing in his play that said he's a top Sox forward, let alone indicate he was ready.

First Maccelli now these three. Wow.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I just don't get why on earth some here want to get rid of Soderstrom, is he a bad locker room guy or something? If not why not keep him and hope he can eventually take that next step. It's not like they'll get anything notable for him anyway so might as well keep him. I mean isn't the worst case scenario him being a good player for Tucson. :dunno:
I think if they can get an interesting change of scenery player in exchange awesome, but like you said I doubt we get anything notable for him. I think he's an AHLer, but might as well keep him.

Yep I think I'm still in shell shock for so many seasons where this isn't the case.

Just a couple years ago it felt awesome that Jenik scored a couple during his cup of coffee. But there was nothing in his play that said he's a top Sox forward, let alone indicate he was ready.

First Maccelli now these three. Wow.
It's crazy Maccelli is still only 23. The young group we have in the league right now is bananas considering all the high picks we still have in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad