Official Coyotes 2023-24 Season Discussion (Poll Included)

How many points will the Coyotes get this season???

• 100+

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 90-99

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 80-89

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 70-79

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Less than 70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Because the team we traded him to didn’t think he was worth the money and another team signed him because he came cheap? Chicago walked away from the player. Chicago. The worst team in the league who did not have cap issues.
That doesn't make 'em smart. Be nice to have a center like Strome right now.

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
The conversation should be did we make a mistake not signing him when he was ufa.
The conversation, imho, should be about value. At the end of Strome's current contract he will have cost $37m for 13 years of service. Schmaltz will have cost $43.7m for 10 years.

If we look at point production Schmaltz has a mere 57 more points than Strome.

Strome has a 49.4% career faceoff % and has won 2,582 faceoffs. Schmaltz is 40.7% and has won 1,748 draws. The Coyotes are last or near last in the league in faceoffs.

Schmaltz is a faster skater but Strome would be a better value and bring more of what the Coyotes need at the position. Chayka overestimated Schmaltz' value both in the assets he gave up (I know 1st rounder Perlini didn't pan out but still) and overpaying Schmaltz on a long term deal.

They should've stuck with Strome and developed him. It's not that he is awesome it's just that Schmaltz is not that much better than him overall and what Strome is good at the Coyotes need.

• Haha
Reactions: Mangosteen

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The conversation, imho, should be about value. At the end of Strome's current contract he will have cost $37m for 13 years of service. Schmaltz will have cost $43.7m for 10 years.

Strome has a 49.4% career faceoff % and has won 2,582 faceoffs. Schmaltz is 40.7% and has won 1,748 draws. The Coyotes are last or near last in the league in faceoffs.

Schmaltz is a faster skater but Strome would be a better value and bring more of what the Coyotes need at the position. Chayka overestimated Schmaltz' value both in the assets he gave up (I know 1st rounder Perlini didn't pan out but still) and overpaying Schmaltz on a long term deal.

They should've stuck with Strome and developed him. It's not that he is awesome it's just that Schmaltz is not that much better than him overall and what Strome is good at the Coyotes need.
The reason Strome is so cheap the last few years is his team walked away from him. We extended Schmaltz and he’s been a fixture on our top line since he got here. We could have had him for nothing and i am open to an argument that we should have signed him.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

I recall it being that Schmaltz was and still is top tier at zone entry with possession which is what the team sorely needed. Strome had good vision and decent stickhandling/passing, but his skating was an issue so he couldn't bring the puck into the zone on his own consistently. If he had someone who could handle that aspect on his line, then his strength would get to show through and I think other teams have been able to better support him at times which shows when he can still produce points. I recall he was effective on the powerplay when he got that split second of extra time to make his plays. It was a real struggle for him during 5-on-5 play.

The team has always had centers who are good at one or two of the main things a center needs to do, but never have the full package on one them.

Strome had good vision and passing but lacked at skating and executing the play quickly enough (I don't remember his defensive play because he was still young when we had him, but he's smart, so I imagine it was ok when his skating wasn't a factor).

Schmaltz has good skating and is excellent at gaining the zone, as well as backchecking, but he plays to the perimeter and isn't great at defensive zone play where he needs to engage more physically in board battles.

Dvorak was solid defensively, but not as strong as the other two are on their offensive specialties.

Hayton seems to be most similar to Dvorak in play thus far. His hands seem to slow.

Cooley is very encouraging because he's showing promise in everything. Tourigny has had him penalty killing as well and he's thriving at it (Guenther too).

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
So if I'm understanding if we could go back and nullify the Strome and Perlini trade for Schmaltz, Strome and Schmaltz would have the same stats with their original teams as they did with their actual teams?

Then we should have just drafted Marner right?

:popcorn:

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
So if I'm understanding if we could go back and nullify the Strome and Perlini trade for Schmaltz, Strome and Schmaltz would have the same stats with their original teams as they did with their actual teams?

Then we should have just drafted Marner right?

:popcorn:
Haha..

I actually wanted Marner from the start:)

Who could we target as an improvement at center in the offseason?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
By your logic, you should be upset with BA because he didn’t tank hard enough.
I don’t want mediocrity, I want honor…. from the entire league, but hey, I get it, there is little honor to be found.
At least you stopped “explaining”, dear Lord that was so unnecessary.
There's no honor in being the only dumbass in the room. Like it or not the system is stacked against those who don't tank, especially when you're a team in the situation like the Yotes where your cupboards are bare and the previous GM threw several first rounders away. When you're already a bottom feeder and there's a generational player available, you absolutely tank or you're f***ing stupid!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When a team doesn’t qualify a guy that usually means they gave up on him. U r factoring in his production in Washington in analysis on a trade we made with Chicago. Strome played so well they didn’t qualify him.
Again, not as cut and dry as you say. It depends on the teams, cap situations, are they a SC contender or about to rebuild. Why did Chicago trade Debrincat? Boqvist? Dach? Stromes last year in Chicago he played 69 games and had 48 pts. and 4th. in scoring. Not qualifying Strome was a surprise to many, but they had their reasons, but I don't think giving up on him was their reason.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Again, not as cut and dry as you say. It depends on the teams, cap situations, are they a SC contender or about to rebuild. Why did Chicago trade Debrincat? Boqvist? Dach? Stromes last year in Chicago he played 69 games and had 48 pts. and 4th. in scoring. Not qualifying Strome was a surprise to many, but they had their reasons, but I don't think giving up on him was their reason.
Why didn’t they trade Strome?

If you go back i actually predicted he wouldn't be qualified. I was criticized here but i was right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When you factor in $$. It would've been better to have kept Strome.
I think it was a just a good old hockey trade that helped both players and both teams.

Because the team we traded him to didn’t think he was worth the money and another team signed him because he came cheap? Chicago walked away from the player. Chicago. The worst team in the league who did not have cap issues.
They had Bedard on their mind. They were about to rebuild.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why didn’t they trade Strome?

If you go back i actually predicted he wouldn't be qualified. I was criticized here but i was right.
You would have to ask Chicago that. Chicago, many thought, did many questionable moves, but they did it for one reason, Bedard.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
There's no honor in being the only dumbass in the room. Like it or not the system is stacked against those who don't tank, especially when you're a team in the situation like the Yotes where your cupboards are bare and the previous GM threw several first rounders away. When you're already a bottom feeder and there's a generational player available, you absolutely tank or you're f***ing stupid!
You're confusing honor with popularity and norms.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm sorry, don't want Strome back. He's a bust for a 3rd overall pick. No question about it.

With that being said, glad he's doing well in Washington, but they play a "slow, low impact" style which fits him perfectly. I don't want slow & low impact.

Reactions: Mosby

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Can we just have a no more wimps policy, please? Chayka never seemed to think that mattered. I think it matters as much as anything else.
I recall Chayka talking about building up the talent level first and seeing the toughness, grit and leadership as the next ingredient.

I like Bill's approach better. Everyone needs to be skilled and tough and most of them need to be giants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad