*OFFICIAL* Charlottetown Islanders 2014-2015 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Switching subjects here but i wonder how people who follow the Isles really close feel about the Will Thompson trade with Saint John win/loss ??

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
It will be interesting to see what they do at the draft, particularly with the 5th overall pick. They could get immediate help by trading it but at the same time if keeping the pick they could get a player who may not make their full impact until beyond the season. Sonier mentions the possibility of taking a goalie with the pick which would be an interesting one, and makes sense if looking beyond this year with the pick given the ages of MacCallum and MacDonald.

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
I think they get the top ranked goalie. Do we see any trades or do we stick with status quo? I think right now we are behind CB heading into this season and after that SJ will take over. I don't see us being true contenders as of right now. We need another top 6 forward and a veteran D.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
If the Islanders are looking at a goalie (or dman), with Veleno in the mix for the draft it may give them first crack at a goalie/dman which means they can get the goalie/dman they want.

I think it may go like this, barring trades and such:
SJ - Veleno
Bathurst - Morand
Victo: Comtois
CB - Bowers

I think it would be great if one of the top 4 drops down and is still available at #5 but can't see it happening, especially Bowers. Can't see CB passing on him especially where they also have the #6 and still have a chance to take the player they may have originally had tabbed for #4 before Veleno was available.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
They seemed pretty high on McKie after his first camp but sounds like his foot speed didn't come around as hoped. With it being a numbers game, I think the trade was made more for allowing him a shot to make it elsewhere than trying to gain assets. Being an 18 year old 4th rounder who hasn't made a team after 2 camps is not going to fetch alot in a trade. Hope it works out for him Bathurst and he gets a chance and who knows he could be a bit of a late bloomer.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Boudrias was ranked first round so will be interesting to see what kind of player he is. Perhaps there was something about Chainey which didn't interest the Islanders, not saying there is something there because it simply could have been teams picking by position, but he did drop from 5th to 14th

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Can't say if it was a good draft or not for the Islanders without seeing any of the picks play but time will tell.

Naturally anytime you go into a trade period you would like to see your team fill all the holes or add depth at every position and such, but going into it I got the impression from Sonier there wasn't going to be about alot of activity as he wasn't willing to sacrifice the future, so wasn't expecting alot on that front. One thing that Sonier did say he was looking to do was use some of his extra 5th rounders to move up which he did and manged to make picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I don't mind the trading down the 5th overall pick especially where there seemed to be a drop off in talent after the first 4 players anyways, and he picked up a first rounder for next year in the process. One thing about that 5th overall pick is that it came to us from Gatineau in the Pepin deal.....basically right now that deal ended up being 3 first rounders and Curtis Scales for Pepin.

Will wait and see how the picks will pan out so besides that, all in all I thought it was a decent day.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Can't say if it was a good draft or not for the Islanders without seeing any of the picks play but time will tell.

Naturally anytime you go into a trade period you would like to see your team fill all the holes or add depth at every position and such, but going into it I got the impression from Sonier there wasn't going to be about alot of activity as he wasn't willing to sacrifice the future, so wasn't expecting alot on that front. One thing that Sonier did say he was looking to do was use some of his extra 5th rounders to move up which he did and manged to make picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I don't mind the trading down the 5th overall pick especially where there seemed to be a drop off in talent after the first 4 players anyways, and he picked up a first rounder for next year in the process. One thing about that 5th overall pick is that it came to us from Gatineau in the Pepin deal.....basically right now that deal ended up being 3 first rounders and Curtis Scales for Pepin.

Will wait and see how the picks will pan out so besides that, all in all I thought it was a decent day.

Personally I was a little under whelmed with their day.. none of the picks screamed great pick. Starting with Boudrais. but I hope they prove me wrong! Boudrais seems like he might be able to fill a 4th line role and adds some size.. Hopefully he plays a tough game and can eventually fill the role of a Johnston or an O'Brien.

But only time will tell

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Just thinking up a potential lineup for the upcoming season with the current roster.....keep in mind defensive pairings may not be exact as far as left handed/right handed shot & forward combos may not have LW and RW exact either.....

Goulet-Chlapik-Sprong
Cooper-Rydstrom-Kielly
Getson-Balmas-Kennedy
Guilbault-Gervais-Boudrias

Other Potential Candidates At Forward: Chaddock, Carter, Shatford

Henley-Deschenes
Weber-Thompson
LRioux-Smith

Other Potential Candidates On Blueline: Comeau, Joseph, Sangster

McDonald-MacCallum

Other Potential Candidates In Goal: Welsh, House

If they decide to get another Euro at forward in place of Rydstrom.....

Goulet-Chlapik-Sprong
Cooper-Kielly-Euro
Getson-Balmas-Kennedy

I think the Euro draft could be interesting to see what happens. I would love to see Rydstrom back as I thought he did a great job on the 3rd line last year, he showed an offensive side at times and would be a boost if he could do it more consistently. Cooper has to be more consistent scoring-wise as well as I think he is capable of it.

Anyways just throwing a roster and some lines out, be interesting to see what others think.

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Good stuff wingman. Maybe the keep OBrien and draft a euro defense and trade Rydstrom and RL gonna be an exciting year. Also seems that John Torchettibis the front runner for the head coach?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Good stuff wingman. Maybe the keep OBrien and draft a euro defense and trade Rydstrom and RL gonna be an exciting year. Also seems that John Torchettibis the front runner for the head coach?

It's been announced he's returning next season in Iowa. Doesn't make much sense leaving an AHL head coaching gig for a CHL gig....

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Just thinking up a potential lineup for the upcoming season with the current roster.....keep in mind defensive pairings may not be exact as far as left handed/right handed shot & forward combos may not have LW and RW exact either.....

Goulet-Chlapik-Sprong
Cooper-Rydstrom-Kielly
Getson-Balmas-Kennedy

Other Potential Candidates At Forward: Chaddock, Carter, Shatford

Henley-Deschenes
Weber-Thompson
LRioux-Smith

Other Potential Candidates On Blueline: Comeau, Joseph, Sangster

McDonald-MacCallum

Other Potential Candidates In Goal: Welsh, House

If they decide to get another Euro at forward in place of Rydstrom.....

Goulet-Chlapik-Sprong
Cooper-Kielly-Euro
Getson-Balmas-Kennedy

I think the Euro draft could be interesting to see what happens. I would love to see Rydstrom back as I thought he did a great job on the 3rd line last year, he showed an offensive side at times and would be a boost if he could do it more consistently. Cooper has to be more consistent scoring-wise as well as I think he is capable of it.

Anyways just throwing a roster and some lines out, be interesting to see what others think.

Welsh getting a POE nod makes me think he is in Q next season for sure.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
hello guys...
this is my first time posting here, I'm usually in the KHL section following my team Medvescak Zagreb. We just signed your ex-coach Gordie Dwyer so I was wondering if you could fill me in a bit about him, what's he like? Noticed one or two pages back he was fired by your management. The season before last we had Mark French, current Calgary Hitmen coach and we were happy with him, last year was awful with Chuck Weber former San Antonio Rampage coach....Do you think Gordie can handle the KHL?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
hello guys...
this is my first time posting here, I'm usually in the KHL section following my team Medvescak Zagreb. We just signed your ex-coach Gordie Dwyer so I was wondering if you could fill me in a bit about him, what's he like? Noticed one or two pages back he was fired by your management. The season before last we had Mark French, current Calgary Hitmen coach and we were happy with him, last year was awful with Chuck Weber former San Antonio Rampage coach....Do you think Gordie can handle the KHL?

Don't know much about the KHL, but he coaches the game the same we he played big tough and undisciplined.. Definitely a defense first type of guy

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Don't know much about the KHL, but he coaches the game the same we he played big tough and undisciplined.. Definitely a defense first type of guy

We have the lowest budget in the league so we usually take risky type of players (the ones who had a down year and are trying to pick up their careers, or someone who thinks he outgrew AHL and is looking for a chance to prove himself and move up to a richer club around December, around that time you more or less know if your team will be in the PO race).
Anyway last year KHL made some changes in rules regarding penalties and they are very strict so if you say he wants his team to be tough and undisciplined that sounds really bad for us.
Also this year for the first time we will take few young russian players, wonder if he manages to find same direction in terms of game phillosophy, russians are used to play on the bigger ice surface...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad