*OFFICIAL* Charlottetown Islanders 2014-2015 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Can't get much worse then MacCallum but Dawe is 17 years old playing midget hockey. :shakehead Only difference between him and MacCallum is that Dawe is a year younger.

You must have seen Dawe play to make that determination.....is he good at controlling rebounds.....is he a stand up type of goalie...does he flop around much in the crease?

I think MacCallum's struggle this season has been consistency from game to game as there are games where he looks like he belongs but the next outing he struggles, if he can bring that consistency he would be a fine backup. If Dawe is ready, be nice if they could bring him in for a short look and see how he does and allow him to face some shots at this level. Haven't seen Dawe play so not sure how he plays, it would be great if he works out to be a reliable backup, but if not they didn't spend alot to get him. At least they have from now until the end of the season to find out, that way if Dawe doesn't pan out they still have the draft to address the backup position.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I realized that Charlottetown has the Gatineau's first round pick in the next draft. Gatineau lost their 8 last games and they are the second worst team in the league on the ranking.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I still can't understand why they gave away Laberge and a first pick. I know that Laplante and Veilleux are good players, but Laberge is almost at their level. And they traded Pépin for picks and a prospect.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I know that it's very early to talk about this, but what do we do with Filip Rydstrom at the end of the season? He is not a great euro, but we need stability. I mean, in the top-9, we will lose Johnston, Cobbold and O'Brien (likely). I know that Balmas, Chaddock and Guilbault have offensive potential, but if we don't keep Rydstrom, it's even more pressure on them. Unless we use our first round pick in the next import draft on a forward, or the Gatineau's pick in the next Q draft. By the way, I believe that at least two of Goulet-Kielly-Kennedy will be in the league during the 2016-2017 for their overager season. I think that it will be our season. But next season, it looks like this without Rydstrom:

Goulet (19) - Chlapik (18) - Sprong (18)
Cooper (20) - Kielly (19) - Kennedy (19)
Guilbault (17) - Balmas (17) - Chaddock (18)
Geston (17) - ..... - .....

But our main need is on the left side of defence. So do we let him go and draft two d-man (1998 with the import draft and 1999 with the regular draft) ? Or we split the draft and take 1 forward and 1 d-man? Do we use the high pick in a trade for a great 18-19 years old d-man?

..... - Weber (20)
Henley (18) - Deschênes (18)
..... - Thompson (18)

Well, it was just a small thought. Before sleeping last night, I was thinking about this.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
It seems that there will be a lot of good forwards in the next Q draft and few d-men, I mean top-5 or top-10. And there are a lot of good d-men in the import draft. So, I guess that we may pick a forward (someone like Shane Bowers...) in the regular draft and we get a d-man in the import draft (I would like a lot to have Alexander Andersson :) ). We can trade Rydstrom and Rioux-Legault. Then, we get a top 20 years old d-man. Who knows?

And what about Quinn O'Brien? Is he the next year Nevins/Johnston? Then, we would need a top pairing d-man.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I was wondering the same thing about Rydstrom, what is the plan for him next season. I love the way he plays as gives us size and depth down the middle and is good on faceoffs. I know people generally see European players come over and be top offensive players and/or point producers but he is good at being that 3rd line center, there are games where our 3rd line was not only our best line but was also the difference in a few games and Rydstrom was a factor.

On the other hand, do you release him and draft another Euro in the hopes of getting another Chlapik or a player who can contribute offensively on the top 2 lines. Next season I think we will see O'Brien on the 3rd line and could see either one of Balmas/Getson/Guilbault on that unit as well, or even two of them.

I don't believe we are able to trade Rydstrom in the off season due to the one year no-trade rule for Euros. We may get a player in the draft next season but generally 16 years old aren't key contributors in their first season especially on a deep team. There will be a few holes to fill and will be interesting to see what they do to fill them.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Just curious who is Alexander Andersson?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=188048

He is a 16 years old puck moving d-man from Sweden. He will likely be drafted in the next import draft. He is a left-handed d-man. His only flaw is that he is small (5'10"). I only saw him twice online, it isn't a lot, but I liked what I saw.

He is very smart with and without the puck in all three zones. He is poise with the puck. He is a good powerplayer too, with a good shots and he is a great passer too. He is a very good skater. He is not really physical, but defensively he outsmarts his opponents.

That's why I think that he could be a good fit with Charlottetown. His skills are worth a first round pick, but his size, even in junior hockey, may question some teams. So, he could fall to us.

But it's more about fantasy. :)

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I still can't understand why they gave away Laberge and a first pick. I know that Laplante and Veilleux are good players, but Laberge is almost at their level. And they traded Pépin for picks and a prospect.

for Laberge that was all about getting back to his old coach

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
With this year's season winding down and next year's season is the one we've been waiting for we are gonna be in need of the following a top 6 forward preferably a 20 year old like Sanche and a top 19 year old defenseman what are everyone else's thoughts?

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Well if it happens it happens. We are supposed to be going for it next year but I really think there's to many holes to fill like I stated above. I feel Sonier threw away too much on Cooper and mackinnon this year we will be lucky to win 2 playoff games this season. It will be a big disappointment for this fan base and if this team doesent win the division next year I think it could be the end for the franchise here on the Island. We don't have the assets to compete with the Eagle or Dogs next season.

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada
i see u guys losing sprong next year
will be playing in the big house
phily high on this kid

Not a chance he is ready for the NHL next season. His game just isn't there. Unless Philly trades down I can't see them taking him as a top ten pick. Most have him as a late 1st or second rounder.

I really like Sprong, but he still has a lot to learn at the Jr. level. I think he would need to have a huge year next season not to be in the league as a 19.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Not a chance he is ready for the NHL next season. His game just isn't there. Unless Philly trades down I can't see them taking him as a top ten pick. Most have him as a late 1st or second rounder.

I really like Sprong, but he still has a lot to learn at the Jr. level. I think he would need to have a huge year next season not to be in the league as a 19.

I agree with this.. No way Sprong goes to the NHL Next year, In my opinion it'll 3 years at least until he is in the NHL

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
unless ilses are primed to make a serious run for the memorial cup next year
( highly doubt) or will play world jrs (??)
then sprong has nothing to prove and is wasting a year coming back

and will go 10-13th first round

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown

Sprong is far from the best forward in the league, isn't even the Islanders' most consistent forward on a gamely basis, and also wouldn't be able to handle the physicality of the NHL yet, and wouldn't near be a capable defensive player in the NHL. Great player but it's a big step.

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada

I strongly disagree that he has nothing left to prove at the major jr. level. If he had a 40 goal, 100 point season this year I would be worried that he could make the jump to the NHL next season, but his game is still very raw. He makes jr level mistakes and that wont fly in a pro training camp. He will be an NHL player but not when he is 18. At this point I think he would need a big improvement to be an NHL player at 19. If a guy like Mantha isn't in the NHL as a 20YO I can see Sprong there as a 18YO.

Next season he can come back an be a leader on what should be a very good team. Lots to learn from in that situation. Would be good development to be a leader on a good Jr team.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
^^
he will finish with 75-80 points on what is easily a VERY AVERAGE team and average "support"

team will not be in contention for mem. cup run in 2016 without some major upgrades
but depending where sprong goes in the draft and which team..:nod:

kid has nhl skills far beyond some current 18yr olds...and to name just one Pasternak comes to mind....so you never know

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
^^
he will finish with 75-80 points on what is easily a VERY AVERAGE team and average "support"

team will not be in contention for mem. cup run in 2016 without some major upgrades
but depending where sprong goes in the draft and which team..:nod:

kid has nhl skills far beyond some current 18yr olds...and to name just one Pasternak comes to mind....so you never know

The difference being Pastrnak was able to play in the AHL first to round out his game a bit and learn the north anerican style of pro hockey. Sprong has to be either in the in the NHL or with us in charlottetown. No way a team ruins his development by keeping him in the NHL past 9 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad