*OFFICIAL* Charlottetown Islanders 2014-2015 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleSprong

DekesFromAmsterdam
Oct 24, 2013
PEI
The difference being Pastrnak was able to play in the AHL first to round out his game a bit and learn the north anerican style of pro hockey. Sprong has to be either in the in the NHL or with us in charlottetown. No way a team ruins his development by keeping him in the NHL past 9 games.

As a resident Sprong expert, you sir are correct

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
RE: Sprong NHL Next Season

Right now at this point I can't see him being in the NHL next season as I don't think he is ready but things can change between now and the fall and also depends on which team drafts him. Don't get me wrong I think he will be an NHL player but not sure if he is ready at this point, but in the past I have thought that of players who were taken in the first round and ended making their team in the fall (ie David Perron). Maybe part of my apprehension is how I hate seeing NHL teams rushing their teenage players to the NHL because they are first round picks. If Daniel makes it, great....just hope he is ready not just for the immediate but also for the long term as well and has a long career

Last edited:

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I think the biggest issues with the Islanders is their consistency, their discipline and what seems like a lack of preparedness.

With their consistency it's not only they play well against a top team and then have a poor game against a weaker team but also they don't seem to all "click" at the same time. One game a certain line carries the load, then the next game another line does it and then the next game it's another. If they could learn how to have at least 2 lines carrying things (as an example) I think would be a big help with the inconsistency. They are still a young team and don't expect every line to be on top of their game every night but still something that needs working on if they are wanting to succeed down the road.

They have to play with discipline as well as they spend way too much time in the penalty box. Never mind the fact of being a man down for that amount of time but it also keeps your top players out of the game during that time and puts alot of pressure and work on the D-men and the goalie. I know Gordie likes tough hockey, as he played that way, but it's one thing to play tough and another thing to do it with a lack of discipline and/or not keeping emotions in-check.

This may be linked with consistency but they don't seem to be prepared the same from one game to the next. Some games they start off well and keep it going then others it seems like they never left the dressing room and sometimes even see it from period-to-period. Not uncommon to see one period of the game costing them the game. Not sure how much of that, if not all, goes back to coaching but something seems to be missing.

I think they have the pieces/players to get out of the first round this season and also to build on for next season, but just have to put it all together on a consistent basis.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The more i watch this team the more it seems we need a new voice behind the bench.. Consistency and discipline are big issues with the team.. team just looks too comfortable with dwyer.. A new voice could dp this team really well

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
So its looking like either Sherbrooke,VD or Baie Comeau who do you guys want. Personally I think we have a better chance against Sherbrooke but I really don't see us winning a round against any of these three teams. But hopefully. The team keeps it close and entertaining nonetheless.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
So its looking like either Sherbrooke,VD or Baie Comeau who do you guys want. Personally I think we have a better chance against Sherbrooke but I really don't see us winning a round against any of these three teams. But hopefully. The team keeps it close and entertaining nonetheless.

you seem to have a real hate on the Isles.. We can beat Sherbrooke pretty easily in a 7 game series in my opinion and put up one hell of a fight against the other 2

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
No Ed I like the Islanders I'm just saying I am not sure we make round 2 based on our lack of discipline. We have a young defense and they could struggle. Trust me Ed I hope I am proven wrong and we win a series but I am worried about the D.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Nice win by the Islanders last night in game one vs Sherbrooke. It should be a boost to their confidence and optimism as long as they can keep it in check and not get too sure of themselves with that kind of a win. Some of the discussion before and during the season is the assets Sonier spent to get the likes of MacKinnon, Johnston, Cooper, etc but I think it's situations like this is where their leadership and experience will/could be a factor in keeping the younger players focused and on an even keel.

Good job and hopefully they can be up by 2 games but if not, glad they got at least one win for when they hit home ice on Monday.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Game 5 was one of the best junior games that I have seen at the Eastlink/CCC with the way the guys played, with the crowd and how the crowd was getting behind MacCallum. MacCallum played another good game, not easy to do given the circumstances in which he had to step in. Earlier in the season I wasn't sure about his consistency but he has really stepped up when needed to, very good to see and very good to see him get his props. Hopefully the boys have a good trip and we have a second round to watch

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Well, Sherbrooke is defeated, and Charlottetown is moving on to the next round and has the chance (depending on tonight's games) to play 1 of 4 opponents.
So, based on the scenarios: if CBSE and Hal win, Charlottetown will play Baie-Comeau.
If CBSE and Shawinigan win, Charlottetown will play Shawinigan
If Quebec and Halifax win, Charlottetown will play Quebec,
and if Quebec and Shawinigan win, Charlottetown will play Moncton

What are the chances that Charlottetown will win the next round of playoffs?

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Not surprised to see Dwyer let go and wouldn't be surprised if it was something that was decided or at least thought of before the playoffs started. One thing that I liked about Dwyer was that he didn't throw his players under the bus publicly and he also helped changed the culture of this team. But for this team to get to the next level and based on the team's inconsistency and undisciplined play this season, I think a change was going to happen......hard to put my finger on it but something just seemed to be missing.

As far as who they bring in, I think the pressure is on Sonier to get it right if this is their go-for-it season. Would be nice to bring in a young coach coming up through the ranks but there isn't going to be alot of time for the coach to "grow into his role" so to speak. To my thinking it would be better to bring someone in with experience.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
One thing I did hear is they are talking to someone but that person is still under contract to another team. Again just something I heard and is just rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad