GDT: Official Bears Thread #14 - Historic collapse complete, Lovie fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Bears need to trade up and get Joeckel and solve their LT issues once and for all. Kid is one of the best OL prospect to come out in a long time and is great in both the run and pass game.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Eagles and Bears interested in Brian Kelly. Looks like the Eagles have already interviewed him. I could definitely see Kelly bolting to the NFL. Would be an interesting hire by the Bears.
Reports aren't true. Dan Pompei said that this seems to be a rumor only and not true.

Looks like Dennison wants this job. Read that he wants this and wants to impress Emery.
Emery will talk to Arians on Friday or Saturday (can't remember)

Bears need to trade up and get Joeckel and solve their LT issues once and for all. Kid is one of the best OL prospect to come out in a long time and is great in both the run and pass game.

1st + 1st + 2nd

Joeckel will be a top 3 pick by the sounds and the best Tackle this year.

pass on trading up

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
1st + 1st + 2nd

Joeckel will be a top 3 pick by the sounds and the best Tackle this year.

If that's all it takes, let's do it. The guy looks to be a longtime All-Pro at our biggest position of need. It's either this or signing Long or Clady.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If that's all it takes, let's do it. The guy looks to be a longtime All-Pro at our biggest position of need. It's either this or signing Long or Clady.

Thats an awful idea. This team has lot of needs, you can't trade away all of your high picks for any one player unless its a cant miss QB prospect. You can find a serviceable left tackle in free agency. They already traded away 2 1st round picks (Cutler), 2 2nd round picks (Cutler and Gaines Adams), and 2 3rds (Marhsall) in the past several years. And that is why this team is so thin, you have to build your entire roster through the draft, you can't throw it away on just a couple of players.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Thats an awful idea. This team has lot of needs, you can't trade away all of your high picks for any one player unless its a cant miss QB prospect. You can find a serviceable left tackle in free agency. They already traded away 2 1st round picks (Cutler), 2 2nd round picks (Cutler and Gaines Adams), and 2 3rds (Marhsall) in the past several years. And that is why this team is so thin, you have to build your entire roster through the draft, you can't throw it away on just a couple of players.

Who are our two best (or most important) players? Cutler and Marshall. It's why we are building everything around them.

Serviceable...just blow the whole thing up if that is the mentality.

We need to bring at least one perenial Allpro/Probowler for the O-line. I agree the draft would be best used to spread things out. However, then you've painted yourself into the corner of signing a Pro bowl left tackle in free agency. That means when the price goes up, Bears have to top whatever offer that guy gets.

Otherwise, like I said, just blow it up if you are going to neglect that position once again. We can get good picks for a number of these guys and start from scratch.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Who are our two best (or most important) players? Cutler and Marshall. It's why we are building everything around them.

Serviceable...just blow the whole thing up if that is the mentality.

We need to bring at least one perenial Allpro/Probowler for the O-line. I agree the draft would be best used to spread things out. However, then you've painted yourself into the corner of signing a Pro bowl left tackle in free agency. That means when the price goes up, Bears have to top whatever offer that guy gets.

Otherwise, like I said, just blow it up if you are going to neglect that position once again. We can get good picks for a number of these guys and start from scratch.

Who is Green Bay's all pro left tackle? How about New Englands? You don't need an all pro left tackle, you just need one that isn't a total embarassment. John Tait wasn't some all pro and that Bears line was very good.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Those are different situations with different QB's, tight ends, full backs. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see this particular Chicago Bears team getting to the Super Bowl without an Allstar quality left tackle.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

I agree. That's one of the most asinine ideas I've read.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Those are different situations with different QB's, tight ends, full backs. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see this particular Chicago Bears team getting to the Super Bowl without an Allstar quality left tackle.

Thats fine, go find one in the draft. Just don't trade away 2 years worth of drafts to get one.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Thats fine, go find one in the draft. Just don't trade away 2 years worth of drafts to get one.

We don't have the pick to do that, which means, IMO, we have to sign one or blow it up. If we sign some average tackle and make the super bowl, I'll eat my words. Cutler can't take another season of getting pounded because of the scrubs in front of him.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
We don't have the pick to do that, which means, IMO, we have to sign one or blow it up. If we sign some average tackle and make the super bowl, I'll eat my words. Cutler can't take another season of getting pounded because of the scrubs in front of him.

Clady went 12, Joe Staley went 28, Duane Brown went 26. Not every pro bowl left tackle is a top 5 pick or the first tackle taken in the draft. And there are only 6 pro bowl tackles in the NFL yet there are plenty of good offensive lines.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
this team is more than an oline away from sb...

I think if we had one of the better O-lines in the league, it's possible. Obviously we have very little to start out with but it is doable. It will take a lot of money and at least one of the first 2 picks to even have a chance of happening.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
this team is more than an oline away from sb...

With a dominant O-line, I think they could make a super bowl. However the O-line is more than 1 player away from being dominant.

I wanted a TE and then a MLB in the first round but now I'm starting to hope they get Warmack or Jones from Alabama. Both of those guys are going to at least be very good NFL players.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, Warmack is unlikely but Jones is very doable and can play every position on the line. I've been on that bandwagon for a long time; he's a great fit for a team that needs help at all positions and in a few years he can settle in at Center for the longterm.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, Warmack is unlikely but Jones is very doable and can play every position on the line. I've been on that bandwagon for a long time; he's a great fit for a team that needs help at all positions and in a few years he can settle in at Center for the longterm.

Why do you say Warmack is unlikely?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I just think he is going to get picked too high, at least top 10, if we are going to trade up that high, just go ahead and get Joeckel.

Only 1 interior lineman has gone in the top 20 in the past decade (didn't look further) and that was a G that San Fran took in 2008 with the 17th pick. I would venture to guess an interior lineman has never gone in the top 10. I'd be shocked if Jones and Warmack aren't both there at 20.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Remember last year when David DeCastro was the greatest guard prospect in the history of the draft? He went 24

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Remember last year when David DeCastro was the greatest guard prospect in the history of the draft? He went 24

I remember and I've watched both play. Regardless of who said what, Warmack is the better prospect and should go much higher. If he is there for the Bears at 20, yeah, take him. I still like my idea of drafting all three Alabama linemen and getting Warmack at 20 would definitely allow that to happen but of course it will cost picks.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I'd love to see Brian Kelly yell at Cutler like he does to his Notre Dame players. Would be funny to see how Cutler would react.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
With a dominant O-line, I think they could make a super bowl. However the O-line is more than 1 player away from being dominant.

I wanted a TE and then a MLB in the first round but now I'm starting to hope they get Warmack or Jones from Alabama. Both of those guys are going to at least be very good NFL players.

i don't think the defense will ever duplicate the stretch they had the first half of this season and we still need at least one more receiver on top of the oline then an urlacher replacement tgen a briggs, peppers, tillman replacement. and that's assuming you believe cutler is good enough. so unless the oline is completely fixed this or next year, we are dangerously close to a full on rebuild. imo, starting that now gives us the best chance to actually be super bowl contenders in the near future.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
i don't think the defense will ever duplicate the stretch they had the first half of this season and we still need at least one more receiver on top of the oline then an urlacher replacement tgen a briggs, peppers, tillman replacement. and that's assuming you believe cutler is good enough. so unless the oline is completely fixed this or next year, we are dangerously close to a full on rebuild. imo, starting that now gives us the best chance to actually be super bowl contenders in the near future.

The defense doesn't have to score touchdowns to be effective, they gave up 17 points a game. Thats plenty to make you a Super Bowl contender if you have a NFL offense which they didn't last year. Why do you need a Briggs, Peppers, and Tillman replacement? Are they going away next season? I agree we need an Urlacher replacement. Roach did pretty good last year but he's not a long term fix. Briggs and Tillman probably still have at least 2, if not 3 good years left. There are plenty of opportunities to replace them. Peppers has probably 2 years left as well.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Better offense, more time of possession plus large leads will do wonders for any defense.

Consistent 3 and outs will kill any defense at some point. Defense will be fine with some minor tweaks, possibly a few good drafted players.

O-Line must be fixed. Second WR and TE. I still think signing Forte to all that money hurts. Should have kept him franchised for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad