(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
That is an insane commitment for someone who isn't proven.. In two years it could look awesome, or it could look horrible.. Either way, 7 years is a long time when you have A LOT of young stars to hold on to

True. Putting bias aside, Klembom looks promising, at least a NHL dman.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
True. Putting bias aside, Klembom looks promising, at least a NHL dman.

Absolutely, he's a player for sure. But 80 games is 80 games, definitely a bold move, but I guess it is a double edged sword, if Klefbom does reach his potential than he will want more money, so it could be a worthwhile gamble.

Also, it's always interesting when contracts like this have the ability to set a precedent for future players. Who knows, maybe more and more RFAs will be looking for long term deals coming off good rookie seasons. Interesting to say this least.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Thinking outside of the box =/= dumb. There's some market inefficiencies for both young players and defensemen and they took advantage of it.

Doesn't makeup for the Sekera, Talbot and Reinhart ridiculous overpayment, but still a good move by Oilers.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Absolutely, he's a player for sure. But 80 games is 80 games, definitely a bold move, but I guess it is a double edged sword, if Klefbom does reach his potential than he will want more money, so it could be a worthwhile gamble

I take it you wouldn't be comfortable giving Johnny an extension now, and would rather risk him winning the Art Ross and Hart this year and signing him right after that? It's a calculated risk. Maybe it fails, maybe it doesn't. Obviously I'm talking in hyperbole but I honestly do wonder what the cost of signing Johnny after an 80-90 point season would be. And that kind of season for Johnny would also mean a likely 40-50 goal season for Monahan.

If you see things about a player's game that might lead to them getting money you can't afford, there's some argument to be made that you should act on them before they become a reality. The Habs saw that with PK Subban's bridge deal backfiring on them. We even saw it with Bouma's bridge deal.

There's no right way, and there's no wrong way. Management just have to trust their eyes watching these players in practice, in-game, etc.

Personally, I think the Oilers made the prudent move. The risk isn't really that high, there are plenty of #4s making that kind of money - maybe not term but if the likely scenario for Klefbom is Johnny Oduya, that's not too bad.

I hope we do the same with Johnny and Monny and get them inked up before the season starts. I don't want to be rooting against them having career years.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think you're going to start seeing more and more deals like this. With the Canadian dollar being the way it is, the cap may not rise much over the next 3-4 years. That means in a cap world, clubs and GM's will have to get creative in signing their core to keep them together.

It may look silly, I actually think it's kind of smart and is a very large potential cap savings move long term. As OKG mentioned, it's clear the Oilers have faith in this player and Chia is trying to not get himself into the type of situation he was in with the B's.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I never said it was a bad move, I stated it was a big commitment, which it is, and gamble, which it is. Like I said, it's interesting, and bold.

I never said it was wrong/right/smart/dumb.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

That's a massive risk for someone with a grand total of 77 NHL games.

Chiarelli is the new Lowe. That's a ridiculous commitment for an inexperienced player. He hasn't even shown he's worth 1 year at 4 million let alone 7. But the Oilers are gonna Oil

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Chiarelli is the new Lowe. That's a ridiculous commitment for an inexperienced player. He hasn't even shown he's worth 1 year at 4 million let alone 7. But the Oilers are gonna Oil

I was 100% confident that you would disapprove of the Oil for that signing :laugh:

Serious question, I'm curious on your opinion on this. Let's say next season Ferland scores 16 goals. If you had the opportunity, would you sign him to a 7-year, 2 million per deal?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I never said it was a bad move, I stated it was a big commitment, which it is, and gamble, which it is. Like I said, it's interesting, and bold.

I never said it was wrong/right/smart/dumb.

Well, I never meant you said it was right or wrong, I just went off on a tangent. But would you be comfortable with signing Johnny long term? My point was he's got about the same sample size as Klefbom, a few more playoff games though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I don't know for sure if it's a good or bad deal, only time will tell. But I do truly believe that more and more types of deals like this will be made. Teams will try and lock guys up at a discount before they break out to save cap long term.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well, I never meant you said it was right or wrong, I just went off on a tangent. But would you be comfortable with signing Johnny long term? My point was he's got about the same sample size as Klefbom, a few more playoff games though.

Difference being Gaudreau did it on a playoff team, undoubtedly Klefbom was good, but he wasn't top player in his position good like Johnny. Also, all factors must be taken into account, the oilers have more high end talent to sign in comparison to the Flames. Other than GP, they really don't compare at all, so it's a moot point.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calculated gamble. Recent is littered with examples of these type of deals succeeding and failing. But I will admit that I haven't paid enough attention to Klefbom to say whether he warrant that kind of commitment.

I will also say, as brought up above, that I'd have zero qualms about signing Gaudreau (roughly the same level of NHL experience) to an either year deal right now, if it could be done at an acceptable cap hit. Ditto for Bennett next summer if he has a successful season. But of course, neither of those players' agents would let them do something like that.

Back to Klefbom, good chance he's going to be overpaid for the first two years of that deal. If he ends up as a number four or worse, the Oilers erred (in the short-term). If he ends up as a number three or better, they win big time. But a GM has to take gambles if they want to put together a successful core; this actually looks like Chiarelli trying not to make the same mistakes he made in Boston.

In summary:
fzrtozl.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was 100% confident that you would disapprove of the Oil for that signing :laugh:

Serious question, I'm curious on your opinion on this. Let's say next season Ferland scores 16 goals. If you had the opportunity, would you sign him to a 7-year, 2 million per deal?
People will not like what I have to say because I am going to be rather blunt about it.

I would never give an alcoholic a long term deal (3 or more years), it's too much of a risk. Between 50-90% (I know big gap, but IMO even 50% is way too much of a risk on a long term deal) of alcoholics will relapse. Rarely does a person find long lasting sobriety on their first attempt, most relapse several times and every time they relapse.

Now before people trash me, I'd like to say this:
I respect what Ferland has done in the last year and a bit for his own personal well being and I hope that he is on a long road of sobriety. I'm not unsympathetic to his plight, in fact I have had alcoholism impact those I love on a multitude of occasions.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If it works out, he'll look like like a genius.
I disagree, I think the best is it will be looked at as he got lucky. He just gave a 7 year deal at decent money to a guy who hasn't even had an above average NHL season yet. It would be one thing if Klefbom was a standout, but he hasn't been.

Think about it this way, he just got almost the same money and longer term than TJ Brodie.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm hoping Gaudreau gets re-signed ASAP. Monahan? Would prefer if they waited a little.

Difference being Gaudreau did it on a playoff team, undoubtedly Klefbom was good, but he wasn't top player in his position good like Johnny. Also, all factors must be taken into account, the oilers have more high end talent to sign in comparison to the Flames. Other than GP, they really don't compare at all, so it's a moot point.
Actually they have the same amount of high end players to resign with more cap space to do it. And it's just one more reason to resign him now before he continues to raise his value.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
People will not like what I have to say because I am going to be rather blunt about it.

I would never give an alcoholic a long term deal (3 or more years), it's too much of a risk. Between 50-90% (I know big gap, but IMO even 50% is way too much of a risk on a long term deal) of alcoholics will relapse. Rarely does a person find long lasting sobriety on their first attempt, most relapse several times and every time they relapse.

Now before people trash me, I'd like to say this:
I respect what Ferland has done in the last year and a bit for his own personal well being and I hope that he is on a long road of sobriety. I'm not unsympathetic to his plight, in fact I have had alcoholism impact those I love on a multitude of occasions.

I agree with you. Ferland is in a good place right now, but if he finds himself demoted/waived, how will he react to that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree with you. Ferland is in a good place right now, but if he finds himself demoted/waived, how will he react to that?
He'll have to suck it up and deal with it. You can't treat people with kid gloves because they're addicts.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He'll have to suck it up and deal with it. You can't treat people with kid gloves because they're addicts.

You undoubtedly have a point, it's the same thing with signing a guy that has a recurring injury, all things need to be considered. Where my thinking is at, is looking for ways to get discounts on players. If Ferland continues to improve and evolve and becomes a 20 goal guy, we could be looking at a guy making north of 4 million in several years.

I know you don't think he'll get there but I think the Flames have hopes that he might should he continue to develop and progress accordingly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You undoubtedly have a point, it's the same thing with signing a guy that has a recurring injury, all things need to be considered. Where my thinking is at, is looking for ways to get discounts on players. If Ferland continues to improve and evolve and becomes a 20 goal guy, we could be looking at a guy making north of 4 million in several years.

I know you don't think he'll get there but I think the Flames have hopes that he might should he continue to develop and progress accordingly.
I think the Flames (and most teams in general) say all the right things when the cameras are on. If you listen to what they say about anyone they are extremely high on them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the Flames (and most teams in general) say all the right things when the cameras are on. If you listen to what they say about anyone they are extremely high on them.

I agree, but the one thing I'll say about Ferland though is the Flames really need a player like the one that he is capable of being (a poor mans Lucic), so I think they are going to invest a lot of time with him. But again, for sure teams do that all the time. Burke is actually one of the worst at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad