Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Looking forward to the Flyers drafting Rienbacher tomorrow so we can have a mediocre d-man play for another team after we give up on him in 3 years. But hey, he is right handed, and we all know that right handed d-man have become the be all end all of the NHL.

Also looking forward to trading someone draft picks to take TDA off our hands (with salary retained) because we can't just keep him on the team and trade him at the trade dealine for something - anything.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i figure..and i might be wrong...but if yer rebuilding don't you want to get someone, preferably a center that can generate the offense..the D can come later

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
what do people even see in Leonard. I see nothing. hes just some dude. Better than Cevin sure, but he is not gonna be on any covers of nhl28

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But it was also a sign that the Flyers won’t hesitate to select smaller, less physically developed players if they believe that in a few years, they’ll be strong enough and fast enough to thrive at the NHL level.

“If it’s just a player needs to get stronger, or there are skating issues that our staff feel like can be addressed — or whatever the issue is, that (it’s) a thing that we can help with and fix — then we’re willing to take those swings if we think the ceiling is that much higher for a particular player,” Flahr said.

Flahr noted that with some prospects, there’s only so much physical improvement that can be made; they’re simply too skinny or not athletic enough or fundamentally flawed from a skating or hockey IQ standpoint, and no amount of hard work on their or the organization’s part is going to change that. It’s their job to identify which players can be fixed, and which ones can’t.

What I find interesting is what wasn't said, that a problem with a player like Provorov is he was almost a finished product physically when he was drafted, i.e. he was NHL ready but the upside wasn't there. Whereas TK got stronger, took his game up a notch at 22 and again at 25. Frost was physically underdeveloped and took a few years to add strength but broke out at 23 (delayed a year by injury).

Which suggests that they probably discount someone like Leonard or Reinbacher or Dvorsky who is more physically developed, and may look at Benson and see a high IQ, high skill player who can get stronger and improve his skating.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Provorov's hockey IQ was never as lofty as many thought. Frankly, his offensive IQ is straight up mediocre. He never developed in a skill sense; he was always a meh passer; he always couldn't play on his backhand or stickhandle in tight. But his production was on paper good in juniors, and he was very physically developed (and used it), and I'm sure his confidence made hockey people weak-kneed. Those just aren't the profiles that blossom.

On a side note, I think Benson's skating profile is better than Smith, Reinbacher, and Dvorsky. I have a pretty good hunch why his is more picked apart. I think the whole topic of "skating" also needs an overhaul. It has to be the 2nd most grossly misunderstood thing in hockey (behind defense). It's why a team would pick Tuomaala over Stankoven, or Ratcliffe over Robertson, ignoring the slower players were the more effective puck carriers/managers, and ignoring the nuances of skating.

Yager is one of the better N-S skaters in the draft; I watched a playoff game between him and Benson the other day (just to remind myself Yager sucks). Yager made almost no impact, particularly as a skater with the puck. It was straight line, uncreative in routes, unvarying, not threatening. And there Benson was generating every exit and entry, under any sort of pressure. It's funny in that I swear I've never seen him actually closed off in transition or straight up beat to a spot. I've had a lot more wow moments with him bursting laterally off his edges or weaving through traffic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov's hockey IQ was never as lofty as many thought. Frankly, his offensive IQ is straight up mediocre. He never developed in a skill sense; he was always a meh passer; he always couldn't play on his backhand or stickhandle in tight. But his production was on paper good in juniors, and he was very physically developed (and used it), and I'm sure his confidence made hockey people weak-kneed. Those just aren't the profiles that blossom.

On a side note, I think Benson's skating profile is better than Smith, Reinbacher, and Dvorsky. I have a pretty good hunch why his is more picked apart. I think the whole topic of "skating" also needs an overhaul. It has to be the 2nd most grossly misunderstood thing in hockey (behind defense). It's why a team would pick Tuomaala over Stankoven, or Ratcliffe over Robertson, ignoring the slower players were the more effective puck carriers/managers, and ignoring the nuances of skating.

Yager is one of the better N-S skaters in the draft; I watched a playoff game between him and Benson the other day (just to remind myself Yager sucks). Yager made almost no impact, particularly as a skater with the puck. It was straight line, uncreative in routes, unvarying, not threatening. And there Benson was generating every exit and entry, under any sort of pressure. It's funny in that I swear I've never seen him actually closed off in transition or straight up beat to a spot. I've had a lot more wow moments with him bursting laterally off his edges or weaving through traffic.
This is similar to the NFL, where every year teams draft 6'2 210 lb WRs who run a 4.35 and wonder why they bust? Because being fast in a straight line doesn't make you elusive or provide you with the body control to adjust to the ball in flight. Same way, straight line speed in hockey doesn't give you "shake and bake" or the ability to skate fast with the puck on your stick through a crowd.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
So final wish before the draft.

Really like Leonard. My favorite player of this draft is Ritchie. But in real world Leo should go higher, Ritchie - lower. So I’m with Oliver Moore.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
what do people even see in Leonard. I see nothing. hes just some dude. Better than Cevin sure, but he is not gonna be on any covers of nhl28

A decent breakdown on his game. Some of his skills (puckhandling, shot) are really good.

Reactions: scumpup

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
So if it goes 4 centers, Michkov, Leonard who are they taking? I could see them passing on Benson.

Flahr said they like 8 players. If Reinbacher isn't one of them, Dvorsky?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
All our dipshits are suddenly pushing Leonard now.

Just like last year with Gauthier.

I do think it's abit different than Gauthier for the sheer fact they pushed him for different reasons. I take Michkov & Benson over him for sure but if they are both gone and we are looking at Moore, Rien, Leonard, I would lean Leonard since I think he brings the most skill.

I feel like the issue with Leonard that I ran into until I read a few stuff on him is they focus on the wrong things. They push the "he is a wrecking ball!" when who the hell cares about that when picking in top 10. His skill level looks really really good.

Abit older video but McKenzie talks about Michkov and thinks ARI won't take him and seems like he thinks Flyers will if he is there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Leonard stuff maybe a smokescreen to have Washington and others less likely to try and jump the Flyers if he is there at 5 or 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad