GDT: [Official] 2017 WJC Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
After 2 Championships in 3 years, Finland might again win their last game of the tournament. What an achievement!

I don't know what the hell has happened.

Well. Those two teams had:
Half of Carolina's top 4 goal scorers this year (NHL).
Likely this years' Calder winner (NHL)
Buffalo's 1D (NHL)

Also, let's not forget what Jesse Puljujarvi did, even though his game hasn't translated to the NHL yet.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Buffalo's 1D (NHL)

Also, let's not forget what Jesse Puljujarvi did, even though his game hasn't translated to the NHL yet.

Finland has been at least ok for years, this is historically bad. They used to grind out at least playoff spot without any highly touted prospects, and this year they still had some good players, at least on paper.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Buffalo's 1D (NHL)

This years instalment also had one more draft eligible, and although they are all good prospects, none of them are on the same level as Laine/Puljujarvi/Juolevi were. In a short tournament generally considered one for older players that's pretty big.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I want Hischier in the draft so badly. I would trade Monahan+ 2017 1st to move up to 1st or 2nd.

I don't know if Hischier is that level of prospect to be honest. He's been good at this WJC and an excellent OHLer... Just not sure if he's one of those guys worth burning the house down for. I'd hate to move Monahan, for another Monahan.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't know if Hischier is that level of prospect to be honest. He's been good at this WJC and an excellent OHLer... Just not sure if he's one of those guys worth burning the house down for. I'd hate to move Monahan, for another Monahan.

After seeing more of him in the WJC, I'm pretty confident Hischier is going to better than Monahan. Like, AINEC better. And I know, this is HF and prospects are always overhyped until they have to face the rigors of the NHL. But there's a lot of sign that Hishier is going to be a corsi god in the NHL from Day One whereas at this point we're still waiting for Monahan to be average in that respect. USA's coach said it after the Team USA game, the ice was tilted every time he was on the ice, no matter what they threw at him... that was his entire WJC despite playing with arguably the worst supporting cast. I could see a rookie Hischier being on par with a veteran guy like Nazem Kadri, and then the sky is the limit from thereon out. Speed, two-way play, creativity... it's all there. We're gonna dread facing him if he gets drafted into our division.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
After seeing more of him in the WJC, I'm pretty confident Hischier is going to better than Monahan. Like, AINEC better. And I know, this is HF and prospects are always overhyped until they have to face the rigors of the NHL. But there's a lot of sign that Hishier is going to be a corsi god in the NHL from Day One whereas at this point we're still waiting for Monahan to be average in that respect. USA's coach said it after the Team USA game, the ice was tilted every time he was on the ice, no matter what they threw at him... that was his entire WJC despite playing with arguably the worst supporting cast. I could see a rookie Hischier being on par with a veteran guy like Nazem Kadri, and then the sky is the limit from thereon out. Speed, two-way play, creativity... it's all there. We're gonna dread facing him if he gets drafted into our division.

This is it.
For all of Monahan's short comings in the NHL, his OHL days were very, very impressive. He was lined up against top competitors every night, he scored a lot, he was the all-around Centre for Ottawa. There was a reason some scouts were thinking Toews back then. It just hasn't translated, and I hope to God it does :laugh:

To be honest, there isn't an 18 year old rookie who comes out of the gate polished like a veteran; then again, who knows. If Calgary just dipped this year (like, tail-spin) where Monahan scored another 4 goals, and continued to struggle away from the puck... then maybe? It's just not a great idea in general to throw a 60 point 20some year old centre and a first round pick at another 1st round pick; with hopes of both exceeding the established centre and the additional 1st. It's bad asset management.

My real hope is that Monahan develops like Johansen. Went from kind of a 'meh' possession player to centring one of the best possession lines in the league.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This is it.
For all of Monahan's short comings in the NHL, his OHL days were very, very impressive. He was lined up against top competitors every night, he scored a lot, he was the all-around Centre for Ottawa. There was a reason some scouts were thinking Toews back then. It just hasn't translated, and I hope to God it does :laugh:

I don't think Monahan's OHL days were that impressive. His Draft year was pretty much most kids' Draft+1 years by age, and skating was always a concern. No one thought Monahan would make the NHL his first year either, whereas a guy like Hischier would probably be expected to play top 6 from day one.

To be honest, there isn't an 18 year old rookie who comes out of the gate polished like a veteran

000a2477.jpg

It's just not a great idea in general to throw a 60 point 20some year old centre and a first round pick at another 1st round pick; with hopes of both exceeding the established centre and the additional 1st. It's bad asset management.

Every case is unique. I don't see there being a one-rule-fits-all. In my opinion gamebreaking talent is more valuable than proven production, risk and all. All-encompassing rules like that might be the safe play but not necessarily the right one. About a year ago people were saying that, if we won the Matthews lotto, trading Monahan for Laine should be a fireable offense. Do they still feel that way?

I guess for me, the veteran that I wouldn't trade for a prospect is Backlund. Losing him would cost our team. Losing a guy like Monahan or even Bennett for an 18 year old with more talent like Hischier would be only a minor setback.

My real hope is that Monahan develops like Johansen. Went from kind of a 'meh' possession player to centring one of the best possession lines in the league.

Jankowski is much more similar to RyJo if that's your hope.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Hischier took over the game against the Americans, it was honestly fun to watch. I don't even know who I'd compare him to, he is going to be one of the best skaters in the NHL and he looks so smooth while doing it.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I love Hischier but whoever posted Monahan and a first for him is ridiculous. Gut ourselves of two long term assets for a single one, Nah.

Hischier probably won't play in the NHL next season despite his complete game. If he does, he will be rushed. He needs to add weight and get stronger.

I'm the strongest proponent of him going first overall and if we ever got our hands on him I'd love it, but it'd be a dumb move to try to trade for him if it wasn't trading up three or four spots at most.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Monahan + our 1st for Hischier is some of the silliest **** I've ever seen on this board. If Hischier ended up anywhere short of a true #1C can you imagine having to look back on that trade? Don't waste proven assets on something like that. Any player can bust.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
So I was even more bored than usual and I wanted to see how Kylington did in the game against Slovakia, fancy stats wise.

at 5v5: 29 CF 6 CA 5 iCF 82%CF

all situations: 38 CF 7 CA 9iCF

Talk about a dominant game. I'm super excited for tomorrow.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames wouldn't consider a Monahan for a prospect centre proposal unless it's a McDavid calibre type on the table.

But an equally likely (i.e. virtually impossible) option is the Flames missing the playoffs and then winning one of the lotteries and being in a position to take Hischier. Would then a Monahan trade for a young top four defenceman and a young RHS right winger sound plausible? E.g., the Flames take Hischier then trade Monahan for Hamonic+Strome. Or sign Alzner and trade Monahan for Pastrnak.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Strome
Ferland-Hischier-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway
Chiasson

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Somebody
Jokipakka/Wotherspoon

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So I was even more bored than usual and I wanted to see how Kylington did in the game against Slovakia, fancy stats wise.

Not surprising at all. He was flat out better than anybody else on either team. Honestly as a Flames fan, a Sweden / USA final, with USA winning a 2-1 nailbiter is the best case outcome. Parsons is playing the most important position, so him winning WJC Gold and Memorial Cup seven months apart would be a hell of a resume. Meanwhile Kylington as their leading ice time D needs to get up to PPG and will need three points in the next two games to do it, and outplaying Chabot head to head would be huge.

Dube is a fourth liner on TC and Karnaukhov a third liner for Russia, so their team success is less meaningful. I'm okay with Canada winning Bronze if Calgary's blue chip prospects shine on the grand stage.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not surprising at all. He was flat out better than anybody else on either team. Honestly as a Flames fan, a Sweden / USA final, with USA winning a 2-1 nailbiter is the best case outcome. Parsons is playing the most important position, so him winning WJC Gold and Memorial Cup seven months apart would be a hell of a resume. Meanwhile Kylington as their leading ice time D needs to get up to PPG and will need three points in the next two games to do it, and outplaying Chabot head to head would be huge.

Dube is a fourth liner on TC and Karnaukhov a third liner for Russia, so their team success is less meaningful. I'm okay with Canada winning Bronze if Calgary's blue chip prospects shine on the grand stage.

Karnaukhov played as a second line winger so far though.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015

Would love to watch the game against Canada, but is it worth it staying up until 1:30 am? Just to see the start

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Monahan + a first for a 17 year old is ok but even whispering the name of Brodie is enough to get you lynched. My god.

Pretty sure everyone is calling that proposal ludicrous... You don't trade a 30/30 center for magic beans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad