Official 2017 NHL Draft Thread (Part IV): With the second overall pick, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, that's fair. My point is mainly that Hjalmarsson was one answer to the "who is this mythical, reliable veteran defender who is available?" question that was posed by several people.

I would not have hated Morin/Hagg + MacDonald at 50% for him.

I just really didn't want to see a situation where the defense could possibly be:

Provorov-Veteran acquisition
Manning-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We're definitely not used to Arizona making trades that will actually improve their team right now. Maybe they're becoming a hockey franchise again after all.

Good for them of true.

Hockey Central mentioning that Tor, Calgary, Tampa and Philly interested in Hamonic.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
You'd figure DAL could be in on Harmy too with the #3 and looking to possibly trade it for D being in win-now mode.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Stepan is still youngish, not many top 6 centers hit the market often. In a weaker draft probably felt they had to jump on it.

I know he's not in his mid 30s, but he's still old enough that by the time the Coyotes become ready to compete, he'll be quite a few years older, right?
So I just don't see how this fits in with the current age structure of their team.

If a team closer to competing had made this trade, I wouldn't be worried about his age at all, but Arizona...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I would not have hated Morin/Hagg + MacDonald at 50% for him.

I just really didn't want to see a situation where the defense could possibly be:

Provorov-Veteran acquisition
Manning-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost

Yeah, we're on the same page. That hypothetical deal is something I would have done, and I think would have had Chicago's interest.

The D going into next season would have been:

Provorov-Gudas
Hjalmarsson-Gostisbehere
Hagg/Manning-Sanheim

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
only 7 hours to go boys! anyone having a draft party tonight? i'm ordering pizza and getting drunk.

draft_party_flyer.jpg

Headed there after work. Will be in Desjardins sweater.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
I don't think Nolan would be chatting up Schenn on the phone all week if Hextall didn't tip him off that we were taking him at No. 2 if he's there.

;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know he's not in his mid 30s, but he's still old enough that by the time the Coyotes become ready to compete, he'll be quite a few years older, right?
So I just don't see how this fits in with the current age structure of their team.

If a team closer to competing had made this trade, I wouldn't be worried about his age at all, but Arizona...

I guess they think they're not that far off from putting a playoff caliber team together. Probably not next year but perhaps the following. Some times those small market teams have to take more chances than a big market team because of the financial aspect.

They did get better with this trade & the Hammer trade. That's a top 6 center & top 4 defender. We'll see with Raanta but they needed a goalie as well.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
That could be them running with Timmy P's bird turd from earlier.

Probably. I just can't see Hexy passing on Patrick. He is the "Kopitar type" center youd think hed want and he plays for Brandon.

And if his injuries are that big of a concern...why would Vegas trade up for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad