Official 2017 NHL Draft Thread (Part IV): With the second overall pick, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bummer. To everyone who said, "What kind of veteran are you looking to acquire and how???", that Hjalmarsson deal would have been perfect. Really wish we could have pursued him. Only two years left on his deal at 4.1mm. He'd have been an ideal complement to the young D. Good move for the Coyotes.

We would have had to give them Gudas.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
OK

Anyone else heard about that MacDonald extension in works :sarcasm:

*Camera cuts to Paul Holmgren*

QSLUTJt.gif

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
We would have had to give them Gudas.

I'm not sure. Gudas is a more valuable asset than Murphy. I think Morin for Hjalmarsson straight up could have been in the ballpark. I don't want to spark yet another "should we trade a D prospect?" debate, but I think it could have been a possibility.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Arizona is trading like a team trying to compete next year, aren't they? You'd think they'd want as many top picks as possible, both for the skill but also for the cheap contracts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not sure. Gudas is a more valuable asset than Murphy. I think Morin for Hjalmarsson straight up could have been in the ballpark. I don't want to spark yet another "should we trade a D prospect?" debate, but I think it could have been a possibility.

Maybe. I think Chicago want to compete every year and Murphy is seen as a top 4 RHD.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Arizona is trading like a team trying to compete next year, aren't they? You'd think they'd want as many top picks as possible, both for the skill but also for the cheap contracts.

Stepan is still youngish, not many top 6 centers hit the market often. In a weaker draft probably felt they had to jump on it.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
One less landing place for Mason too. Poor goalie market that's for sure

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Maybe. I think Chicago want to compete every year and Murphy is seen as a top 4 RHD.

Yeah, that's fair. My point is mainly that Hjalmarsson was one answer to the "who is this mythical, reliable veteran defender who is available?" question that was posed by several people.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thank almight f*** that Hextall is our GM. The very last thing we need is someone sitting there watching our division getting even tougher and thinking "We have to do something now!" He won't overreact like that.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Teams playing hot potato with DeAngelo. There's something wrong with him

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We're definitely not used to Arizona making trades that will actually improve their team right now. Maybe they're becoming a hockey franchise again after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad