Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The last few games have actually been fun to watch hope the Minnesota one is similar, I like all 3 of the forwards and Chychrun in the 4-8 range so unless we go off the board I think I'll be quite happy come draft day.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
We have a lot of trade chips going into the draft. If the Oilers don't win the lottery but end up 2 or 3 I can see them moving back to grab Chychrun.

I would be willing to trade our 1st and two 2nds in order to get into that top 3. Would it be enough though? If we are sitting 4 or 5 it may be? They get a great dman that they need and two more higher picks that could help them get their prospect pool in a little better shape.

Don't think Toronto would move back but is there anyone else? Columbus?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We have a lot of trade chips going into the draft. If the Oilers don't win the lottery but end up 2 or 3 I can see them moving back to grab Chychrun.

I would be willing to trade our 1st and two 2nds in order to get into that top 3. Would it be enough though? If we are sitting 4 or 5 it may be? They get a great dman that they need and two more higher picks that could help them get their prospect pool in a little better shape.

I think Edmonton has to be done with drafting and waiting. If they move down its more likely they will want assets that help them now. Granted they could then move those picks.

They are at the point where they don't have time to wait for 2nd rounders to turn into something in my opinion.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ugh, okay. :shakehead

Well, think about it.
We were primed to be a playoff team; that didn't happen. Then we were primed to be selecting one of the elite talents available at the draft, and that didn't happen either.

Like, there's no positives outside of our young kids put up some numbers at the end of the day. Picking 8+, you're looking at Dmen and 6/7th best forwards at the draft... it's just not what we need at the end of the day. We can agree to disagree; but unless we get a great pick here and the scouting staff nails it out of the park... I can't think of much positives to come out of a super frustrating season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Edmonton to me is the only team that'll maybe move that top 5 pick.
If a team above Calgary wins a top 3 pick, it's like striking gold while mining for copper. You take that right to the bank.

Columbus if it has a top 3 will take Matthews or a Finn (check GM), Toronto is rebuilding, the Canucks, unless Benning goes full blown derp, have to rebuild sooner rather than later and won't trade that pick.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well, think about it.
We were primed to be a playoff team; that didn't happen. Then we were primed to be selecting one of the elite talents available at the draft, and that didn't happen either.

Like, there's no positives outside of our young kids put up some numbers at the end of the day. Picking 8+, you're looking at Dmen and 6/7th best forwards at the draft... it's just not what we need at the end of the day. We can agree to disagree; but unless we get a great pick here and the scouting staff nails it out of the park... I can't think of much positives to come out of a super frustrating season.

-Improvement of our young players
-Gaudreau finishing top 10 in scoring, arguably cementing himself as one of the game's top wingers (or at least up and coming)
-Stabilization of our defensive core that now revolves two of the better young d-men in the league (not to mention last year's should-be Norris winner if not for injury)
-Further selling off of assets that don't help the team moving forward

Just off the top of my head.

I suppose my disagreement isn't with you or anyone in particular. I agree this season has been frustrating. But to say that it was a total waste is rather disingenuous to the actual achievements that have occurred. I'm honestly just really tired of the pro-tank talk. If I wanted to read that, I would go to the Canucks board where they cheer for goals against and actively root against their team. I thought we were better than that here.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I think Edmonton has to be done with drafting and waiting. If they move down its more likely they will want assets that help them now. Granted they could then move those picks.

They are at the point where they don't have time to wait for 2nd rounders to turn into something in my opinion.

Yeah, you are right, as soon as I posted I thought to myself that they'll want the #5 and something that fills a need....being defense, wonder if they'd take Smid back ? :D

Wideman can't see, maybe 5th, Jokapakka + maybe a 2nd or 3rd or someone from the farm?

I just see Edmonton being the only one that would move back, just like you. They move back a couple of picks, get that stud dman and an NHL stay at home dman plus pick or close prospect?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
-Improvement of our young players
-Gaudreau finishing top 10 in scoring, arguably cementing himself as one of the game's top wingers (or at least up and coming)
-Stabilization of our defensive core that now revolves two of the better young d-men in the league (not to mention last year's should-be Norris winner if not for injury)
-Further selling off of assets that don't help the team moving forward

Just off the top of my head.

I suppose my disagreement isn't with you or anyone in particular. I agree this season has been frustrating. But to say that it was a total waste is rather disingenuous to the actual achievements that have occurred. I'm honestly just really tired of the pro-tank talk. If I wanted to read that, I would go to the Canucks board where they cheer for goals against and actively root against their team. I thought we were better than that here.

I will say, I haven't talked about tanking; been on one side of the fence or the other. That's where I'll start. I don't cheer for us to lose, I do not not high-five when we score, I get excited and fist pump like anyone else :laugh: I'm far from the pro-tankers; but I'm also far from the folks who think winning attitudes matter in the last 20 games of a season that we've been out of for a month+ already; like it will spur on a team to go super-nova next year. If last years awesome campaign wasn't enough to get this team energized and ready to go for this year, I don't know what could have. Having some guys pick up some extra goals is nice for them, but I'm not ready to take positives out of a season that should have been quite yet :laugh:

As I mentioned in my first post, it's great our kids put up good numbers. And the covers points 1 & 2. It's awesome with got Dougie and Brodie on this team for likely the next 10 years; but that was last summer we made that acquisition. And selling off non-core assets should be the yearly requirements out of any good GM. BT has shown he's willing to move players even whilst in a race (Glencross); I feel next year he'll try and do the same with some of the players we have.

The silver linings of this season are really, really thin. I appreciate the fact we've been able to get excited about the kids putting up points; steps Gaudreau, Bennett, Hamilton, Monahan, Shinkaruk and Brodie (Backlund too, but he's not a kid I guess, maybe Swedish standards, he's a kid) have made is awesome, awesome, awesome. I just want this season to be over, and to help this team out the most for next season.

The 2016-2017 Flames would be tremendously better with someone like Matthews or Laine on the roster over having Gauthier, McLeod, Bean or even Juolevi playing in the minors. It'd be immediate elite impact. I may have gone a tad too far saying it was a waste of a season without a top 6 pick; but man... I'd really be upset if we ended up with pick 9 :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The 2016-2017 Flames would be tremendously better with someone like Matthews or Laine on the roster over having Gauthier, McLeod, Bean or even Juolevi playing in the minors. It'd be immediate elite impact. I may have gone a tad too far saying it was a waste of a season without a top 6 pick; but man... I'd really be upset if we ended up with pick 9 :laugh:

I still think a goalie who can put up around a .915 save percentage (at least) puts us closer to the playoffs than anything else.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I will say, I haven't talked about tanking; been on one side of the fence or the other. That's where I'll start. I don't cheer for us to lose, I do not not high-five when we score, I get excited and fist pump like anyone else :laugh: I'm far from the pro-tankers; but I'm also far from the folks who think winning attitudes matter in the last 20 games of a season that we've been out of for a month+ already; like it will spur on a team to go super-nova next year. If last years awesome campaign wasn't enough to get this team energized and ready to go for this year, I don't know what could have. Having some guys pick up some extra goals is nice for them, but I'm not ready to take positives out of a season that should have been quite yet :laugh:

As I mentioned in my first post, it's great our kids put up good numbers. And the covers points 1 & 2. It's awesome with got Dougie and Brodie on this team for likely the next 10 years; but that was last summer we made that acquisition. And selling off non-core assets should be the yearly requirements out of any good GM. BT has shown he's willing to move players even whilst in a race (Glencross); I feel next year he'll try and do the same with some of the players we have.

The silver linings of this season are really, really thin. I appreciate the fact we've been able to get excited about the kids putting up points; steps Gaudreau, Bennett, Hamilton, Monahan, Shinkaruk and Brodie (Backlund too, but he's not a kid I guess, maybe Swedish standards, he's a kid) have made is awesome, awesome, awesome. I just want this season to be over, and to help this team out the most for next season.

No, you didn't go too far. The season was wasted without a top 3 pick.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Meh, sure would I like to pick Matthews, but I'm not torn about it.

I mean look at Scheifele. He was the 7th overall pick, it took some time, but now he is looking like a #1C. It depends on the development path the team takes.

6th overall is a good spot to pick from. I mean come on guys. We selected Monahan at #6.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we picked third in 2013 we likely end up with Drouin instead of Monahan..

This draft reminds me of 2014. Great 11 or so players. Then a significant drop off. Not a ton of talent past 45 or so. Don't expect a Kylington or Andersson type prospect at 52.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I still think there's a significant drop off after the top three. Would be an absolute travesty to have to watch two of them play for division rivals for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, Laine's definitely a RHS that plays LW. Has played it all season, including the WJC where Puljujarvi was the RW.

Not that he wouldn't get looks alongside Gaudreau and Monahan if the Flames drafted him but Laine-Bennett wouldn't exactly be a bad option either. Balanced scoring and what not.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I still think there's a significant drop off after the top three. Would be an absolute travesty to have to watch two of them play for division rivals for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, Laine's definitely a RHS that plays LW. Has played it all season, including the WJC where Puljujarvi was the RW.

Not that he wouldn't get looks alongside Gaudreau and Monahan if the Flames drafted him but Laine-Bennett wouldn't exactly be a bad option either. Balanced scoring and what not.

I disagree. I think guys like Dubois, Tkachuk, Chchhnrcynynhcryn will all be great picks. They won't make as much of an impact early on, but I'd say they're on par with Puljujarvi.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Would be a travesty yes, but I don't think there is a huge drop off after 3. I think Dubois, Nylander, Tkanchuk are like a 7 with the Finn's being a 8 out of 10.

Come draft day, unless something bizarre happens I don't see a situation where one of Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Dubois, Tkachuk or Nylander isn't a Flame. Unless the lottery winners push us into the 6th or 7th slot and Chychrun is still on the board, I don't see us not picking a forward.

And really, with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton (and Nakladal) on the team and Andersson, Kylington, Kulak, Wotherspoon in development, we really don't need d-men, even if it is Chychrun/Sergachev/Joulevi. The Flames are hurting up front for offensive talent. Don't care if we are top 10 in NHL in goals for, so much of that is off the rush and/or from the back end. We need game breaking talent up front.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So after winning CHL player of the week last week, Tkachuk goes out and puts up his 3rd 4+ point night in only 7 games.
He had 4 assists as London beat Kitchener 6-3 in game 1
In 7 games he now has 8G 8A 16 P

I don't get why he's dropping on so many lists, for me he's been right there with PLD for #4. Fans have been knocking him due to his linemates, but he's leading the team so far and it's crazy to think he wouldn't be productive without them.

I think all of Van/CLM/CGY/WPG are looking at PLD/Tka as their #4/5.
I just don't like that it's a strong possibility that they are both gone by our pick. At any rate Chych is who I want @ 6th.
I think Arizona would a take Dman, and I would not be surprised to see Nylander drop to Buffalo at about 8th.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Tkachuk is turning it up at the right time.....playoffs! All teams want that playoff performer and he seems to be one. Small sample size but I'm sure this run will have many scouts pushing for him at 4.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1) Matthews
2)Laine
3)Puljujarvis
4) Dubois
5)Nylander
6)Tkachuk

Hopefully the Flames finished 4th and get a top 6 pick to pick one of those

I dont want them to pick a dman. Dmen at the top of the draft are mostly offensive. They dont need anymore of those. They need physical solid defensive dmen. I like the value of the forwards better at the top of the draft for the Flames

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think my list is:

Mathews
Laine
Pulju
Dubois
Nylander

I just really want a top 5 pick and we should get another Bennett caliber of player. Having a skilled guy like Nylander play alongside a beast like Bennett (who's also highly skilled) would be a dangerous combo. We would have 2 x 1A lines.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Chances seem very good at the Flames landing Tkachuk, Nylander and they still have a decent shot at Dubois and the top 3. Even if the Flames fall to 7 I'm sure a Dman will be taken so the Flames will be able to draft that next Offensive piece. Jets winning today could end up being very good for the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad