Speculation: Offer Sheet: Nikita Kucherov

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the chance of an offer sheet is almost 0 imo. unless you're a top-5 forward or d i don't see any team going through the trouble and paying the amount necessary to actually get it done. much more likely that his camp is asking for too much to the point tb can't pay it given their salary situation at the current moment and they just trade him and recoup what they can. i still expect him to sign there though. somewhere between 6.5-7.0per

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think Tampa is definitely one of the team's a GM would feel comfortable offer sheeting without worrying about a retaliatory offer. They still have TJ and Palat next year. If a team likes all of those guys, offer sheeting Kucherov and having them match could mean a good chance to be successful doing the same to one of those two the following summer.

As for a team that makes sense, maybe the Preds? They can afford it, they should be good for a long time (so 4 1sts wouldn't sting as much), and they could use another dynamic talent up front.

I highly doubt we see an offersheet, but you could make a case of why it might make sense for a team like the Preds. 7 years, 52.5 (7.5 per). Tampa may match, but I think they'd consider the 4 1sts and long term cap considerations.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
And how many playoff games has Eberle played?

Oops. I just heard the toilet flush.

Good luck finding many 23 year olds with 42 points in 45 playoff games, bud.

Such a lame argument. Eberle not playing in playoffs has nothing to do with him as a player.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Such a lame argument. Eberle not playing in playoffs has nothing to do with him as a player.
Is it? If Eberle was as good as you say, he would not only be able to contribute and ensure that his team could make the playoffs, but he would dominate them. Kucherov does both. But, of course your argument is pretty transparent. Kucherov is a product of Tampa Bay, and nothing more.

ZzZz.

Eberle being on the block for some time now, and nobody wanting him should be a solid indicator of the kind of player he is, and the value that he holds.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Put it this way, if Edmonton had Kucherov instead of Eberle they would be in the playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Put it this way, if Edmonton had Kucherov instead of Eberle they would be in the playoffs.

I don't know if even Kucherov could make that much of a difference but I'll say this much. If Edmonton had Kucherov in Eberle's place then Kucherov would've had at least 80 points. Can you even imagine what he and McDavid would be like?

Oh man... I think I need a minute so I can settle my heart rate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Offer sheets are things only bored fans in the summer talk about. There's almost zero chance any player gets offer sheeted. Remember when Trouba was going to get a massive offer from Boston? Remember Seth Jones is getting an OS because Columbus can't match? Remember Ryan Johansen going to the KHL or an OS from Vancouver or something? There's many other examples.

OS are very rare, and are way over sensationalized when they happen. The only one in recent memory that was absolutely shocking was the Weber one, and that's been many years ago now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think pretty much in a cap stagnant world, Offer sheets will get less and less. Just can't see to many teams doing them. Most of your cap floor teams are your teams that don't make the playoffs and i seriously doubt that they can afford to give up good picks. Any more draft picks are like liquid gold can't really afford to loss them.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Offer sheets are things only bored fans in the summer talk about. There's almost zero chance any player gets offer sheeted. Remember when Trouba was going to get a massive offer from Boston? Remember Seth Jones is getting an OS because Columbus can't match? Remember Ryan Johansen going to the KHL or an OS from Vancouver or something? There's many other examples.

OS are very rare, and are way over sensationalized when they happen. The only one in recent memory that was absolutely shocking was the Weber one, and that's been many years ago now.

As I remember the Weber OS happened because Philly assumed that Nashvilles internal cap floor would cause them to decide to not match Phillys offer.

When a player is getting OS there isn't many situations where the team wouldn't match it. Basically it's just a dick move at this point.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

While I agree with everything you're saying, I don't think you can make generalizations regarding the process. In the case of Kucherov, you've got a team that would have to move salary right now if they match, as well as waive goodbye to one - if not both - of Johnson and Palat.

Then you factor in how weak next year's UFA crop looks, as well as the fact there's no fear of a retaliatory OS from Tampa, and it's not as outlandish a suggestion as years past.

If I'm the Preds, I'd offer sheet with the hopes they match and take a run at TJ next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad