OT: Off-Topic Thread - 2018 - It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
When you love yourself fully....only then can you truly love another.

I could give you a laundry list of things that went wrong in my first marriage. But it all stems back to--I didnt love myself or feel worthy.

In about a year I will be on the opposite side of that. It's a totally different structure, and different me and different connection.

"Marriage is not for the faint of heart."

honesty--is absolute key. and understanding that Lou is part of the package deal

Haha I promise to have Trevor home most nights by 12. Thank you for your understanding. :)

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Marriage sounds like fun.

Like anything it's what you put into it. I had a stretch where I was just an awful and ungrateful husband. My wife was putting 99% effort into the marriage then. There are weeks or months where I'm 80% and she's 20%. Ideally you need 50-50, but the real work comes in when one is just going through something and not able to give their all. It's not easy all the time. My parents gave me the illusion that marriage was a piece of cake and all happily ever after...it's not that way a lot of times...lots of trials and tribulations.

The little things mean everything as well. Listening when maybe you don't want to, a hug or apology even when you still think you're right, watching movies like Lady Bird together so you can pay it back a little for all the sports you make your wife watch....

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
well said and congratulations once again with your upcoming new beginning. We just returned from Barbados, had a wonderful sunset beach wedding. Just me and now officially, Mrs. Odaat, had 0 family there, not because they weren`t invited as they all were but it`s a tough spot to get to quickly and her folks are in their 70`s with back issues, not conducive to a peaceful flight of 16 hours. Mrs Odaat and I have been with one another almost 13 years, there are no secrets and both of us had to do alot of work on ourselves before being able to fully be there for one another. One of my many rules of thumb are, if I can`t come home and tell her about something I was thinking of doing then it means I shouldn`t be doing it. My past life when I was immersed in an unhealthy lifestyle, I had a casual at best relationship with the truth and little concern or focus on how any of my decisions and actions would affect others.

Not the case these days, before any decision is made, it`s discussed with Mrs. Odaat and if she`s not fully on board with it, we don`t do it and vice versa. I still have more than my faults, difference is I now have the ability to apologize genuinely then NOT turn around and continue to do the same things over and over. Big year for us, wedding this week, she`s graduating from her College program in 6/7 weeks (she`s worked so hard, I`m so proud) then we prepare for our move to BC in order to be closer to her family. Closer to her family? That`s crazy you say, nope, they are wonderful and if I have one regret it`s that we weren`t able to be a bit closer to my parents prior to their passing. Not that I could have changed their health, but just to spend more time with them before they passed. Her parents are in their 70`s and still in very good health with a few minor issues and we now have the opportunity to be close to them so spending time with them is far more realistic.

Andrew, Im so happy for you man!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Like anything it's what you put into it. I had a stretch where I was just an awful and ungrateful husband. My wife was putting 99% effort into the marriage then. There are weeks or months where I'm 80% and she's 20%. Ideally you need 50-50, but the real work comes in when one is just going through something and not able to give their all. It's not easy all the time. My parents gave me the illusion that marriage was a piece of cake and all happily ever after...it's not that way a lot of times...lots of trials and tribulations.

The little things mean everything as well. Listening when maybe you don't want to, a hug or apology even when you still think you're right, watching movies like Lady Bird together so you can pay it back a little for all the sports you make your wife watch....
Tough times are the true test. I’ve been fighting my health for three years now. Still another fight soon. How your partner fights with you is a true test. I have been blessed with a wife that is almost super human in how she takes care of 90% of things since I started my recovery. I literally couldn’t have done it without her. I could be more vocal about my love for her, but I’m not wired that way. I think she knows and understands. My kids rely on her quite a bit. I’m greatfull. She still has the time to get promoted at work. I hope everything goes well to everyone in their new “adventure”. It’s not easy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The older you get Lou the smarter you are getting brother.
You’ve grown a lot over the years.

:thumbu:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Congrats ODAAT! Loved reading that. When you put work into a relationship and it's functioning, that's something you can be very proud of.

And i would just like to add, that i probably watched Dirty Dancing several more times than i probably would if i were alone but i have to admit, it grew on me.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Blasphemy!!!

I usually see In n Out vs 5 Guys vs Whataburger

5 Guys gave me the runs last 2 times I had it and In n Out is my day off n chill burger. I get cheese fries no animal fries.

I was in Texas last week(we were visiting my girlfriend's kids' godparents) and not long after we arrived I had a couple of double meat Whataburgers with all the fixins. Very good, worth the price.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
well said and congratulations once again with your upcoming new beginning. We just returned from Barbados, had a wonderful sunset beach wedding. Just me and now officially, Mrs. Odaat, had 0 family there, not because they weren`t invited as they all were but it`s a tough spot to get to quickly and her folks are in their 70`s with back issues, not conducive to a peaceful flight of 16 hours. Mrs Odaat and I have been with one another almost 13 years, there are no secrets and both of us had to do alot of work on ourselves before being able to fully be there for one another. One of my many rules of thumb are, if I can`t come home and tell her about something I was thinking of doing then it means I shouldn`t be doing it. My past life when I was immersed in an unhealthy lifestyle, I had a casual at best relationship with the truth and little concern or focus on how any of my decisions and actions would affect others.

Not the case these days, before any decision is made, it`s discussed with Mrs. Odaat and if she`s not fully on board with it, we don`t do it and vice versa. I still have more than my faults, difference is I now have the ability to apologize genuinely then NOT turn around and continue to do the same things over and over. Big year for us, wedding this week, she`s graduating from her College program in 6/7 weeks (she`s worked so hard, I`m so proud) then we prepare for our move to BC in order to be closer to her family. Closer to her family? That`s crazy you say, nope, they are wonderful and if I have one regret it`s that we weren`t able to be a bit closer to my parents prior to their passing. Not that I could have changed their health, but just to spend more time with them before they passed. Her parents are in their 70`s and still in very good health with a few minor issues and we now have the opportunity to be close to them so spending time with them is far more realistic.
This is wuv, twu wuv....

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Once I hit 30 it went downhill real fast. I’m sure 40 will be great.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I drank all the beer yesterday.

I haven’t been hungover in a long time. I didn’t miss it.
I tried matching water and beers last night. I failed. The bar we went to has this beer called a black velvet which is Guinness on top and Downeast Cider on the bottom. The cider shoots up and mixes with the Guinness and it’s amazing. And now I’m spending my Sunday hurting.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Once I hit 30 it went downhill real fast. I’m sure 40 will be great.

40 must be the worst thing to ever happen to a living human. You ache. Your metabolism shuts off. You must get 8 plus hours of sleep or you're shot for days.

And I say this as a 48 yo whose blood work is always basically pristine, exercises and is on zero prescription medications.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I tried matching water and beers last night. I failed. The bar we went to has this beer called a black velvet which is Guinness on top and Downeast Cider on the bottom. The cider shoots up and mixes with the Guinness and it’s amazing. And now I’m spending my Sunday hurting.

That sounds delightful.

Aside from feeling like shit, I just hate feeling so unproductive. Waste of a day.

Special occasion, but good reminder to keep it in check.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
40 must be the worst thing to ever happen to a living human. You ache. Your metabolism shuts off. You must get 8 plus hours of sleep or you're shot for days.

And I say this as a 48 yo whose blood work is always basically pristine, exercises and is on zero prescription medications.

Getting old. Such fun.

Better than the alternative though.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Absolutely, the worst for me is recovery from injuries. If I jam a wrist or pull something in my back, I can feel it for months. My son cant put a shoe on because his ankle sprain is the size of a grapefruit is fine three days later. Its ridiculous.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Finally gave up and had to rest because my damn foot wasn’t healing.

10 years ago I would have been sidelined a day then back at it. Hell even 5 years ago. I hate resting, but I couldn’t cheat it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad