OT: Off-Topic, again.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Anyone traveling for the eclipse? We got to see the last one from our backyard. Even though we would only have to drive about 45 minutes to see totality this time, it's a school/workday and classes aren't cancelled nor did they close my office so I'll be seeing the 90% eclipse on my lunch break.

I'm traveling to my balcony and watching people speed to Niagara Falls.

Reactions: Viqsi

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Staying home. In 2017 we were right in the center of the path of totality and seeing the whole thing was still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. This year we should get about 90-95% coverage. That's good for me.

Last time we got lucky and had clear skies to really thin clouds. But places like the Science Center got thick clouds as it was happening so I would be so disappointed to travel and fight crowds just for it to be cloudy.

I'm going to stay home and have Moon Pies and SunDrop!

Reactions: PredsV82

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anyone traveling for the eclipse? We got to see the last one from our backyard. Even though we would only have to drive about 45 minutes to see totality this time, it's a school/workday and classes aren't cancelled nor did they close my office so I'll be seeing the 90% eclipse on my lunch break.
Currently in Dallas with friends for that purpose. Was going to drag @BigFatCat999 along but he tapped out due to temperature issues and local availability.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yep, just now heading back. We went to a park in Greenville OH with my son, his love and my friend Duning who lives near there. Had a blast! Almost 4 minutes of totality.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I went to Richmond, IN for 4 minutes so dark that the street lights came on and the horizon looked like sunset for 360 degrees around. The 5 hour drive took 7 hours due to traffic and rain. My co-worker went to Indy. He said that the 4 hour drive home took TEN hours.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yep, just now heading back. We went to a park in Greenville OH with my son, his love and my friend Duning who lives near there. Had a blast! Almost 4 minutes of totality.
We were so close! It is probably 30 miles from Richmond to Greenville. My wife and I went to a park. There were about 200 people in an area 500 or 600 feet on a side. People were friendly, it was 73 and sunny with a breeze from the west. On Tuesday, I could not see the sun because the clouds were so thick!

Our back up plans were to go towards Muncie or Indianapolis. A lot of the small towns in east Indiana or western Ohio had big plans.

You should go to the Darke County history (Garst) museum. It has displays about Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas and Fort Greenville. The fort was about 5 city blocks in size, the largest stockade built in the US. When I was a kid, there were lines painted on the ground to show where the fort was. Walking around it was about 3/4 of a mile.

I heard that 50,000 were expected at the famous Speedway near Indianapolis. I am glad we did not go there. Too much of a crowd for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I went to Richmond, IN for 4 minutes so dark that the street lights came on and the horizon looked like sunset for 360 degrees around. The 5 hour drive took 7 hours due to traffic and rain. My co-worker went to Indy. He said that the 4 hour drive home took TEN hours.
Same in Greenville except that we were in a state park without any lights to come off or on. That sunset/horizon was really cool. It is otherworldly--dusk but not quite, kind of reminiscent of that weird look when you're about to have a tornado--but more blue than neon green. Kind of eyeing that one coming up in Iceland... I can see why people follow eclipses around the world.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
We were so close! It is probably 30 miles from Richmond to Greenville. My wife and I went to a park. There were about 200 people in an area 500 or 600 feet on a side. People were friendly, it was 73 and sunny with a breeze from the west. On Tuesday, I could not see the sun because the clouds were so thick!

Our back up plans were to go towards Muncie or Indianapolis. A lot of the small towns in east Indiana or western Ohio had big plans.

You should go to the Darke County history (Garst) museum. It has displays about Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas and Fort Greenville. The fort was about 5 city blocks in size, the largest stockade built in the US. When I was a kid, there were lines painted on the ground to show where the fort was. Walking around it was about 3/4 of a mile.

I heard that 50,000 were expected at the famous Speedway near Indianapolis. I am glad we did not go there. Too much of a crowd for me.
Why am I not surprised by this?

I'm going back up that way (well, north) next weekend for a third try at the same Springsteen concert in Columbus. (I think it's pretty well established that Mr Admiral is a fan) Probably won't make it by the museum this time but I'll keep it in mind for the next time we go up to visit my HS friend who lives in Bellbrook. He and his wife are joining us in Columbus this time, though.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Welp.

It was nice living in a city that had an NHL team in the metro area.

Back to following AHL hockey, I guess.
I thought of you when I heard the news. You can always keep your Preds membership active. I'm hoping Alice Cooper changes his team to the Preds because he seemed to like us before and duh it's ALICE COOPER.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I'm not a huge country music fan but I went to Tyler Childers last night and that was truly one of the best concerts I've been too.

Childers is great. There's huge difference between his country music and what deemed country music by big radio

Reactions: triggrman

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I thought of you when I heard the news. You can always keep your Preds membership active. I'm hoping Alice Cooper changes his team to the Preds because he seemed to like us before and duh it's ALICE COOPER.
Alice might do that. He is loved in Milwaukee ever since the Wayne's World movie and we are the Nashville affiliate. He comes to Milwaukee almost every year for a concert.

You can see the clip on YouTube for Mill-e-wah-que.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Doesn’t he have a house here? I saw him at Uncle Julio’s.
As far as I know, he lives in the Phoenix area.

He coached a Little League team. When the Dark Shadows movie came out in 2012, his players wanted to know why their coach, Mr Furnier, was in a movie!

He is a Coyotes and Red Wings fan since he is from Detroit originally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad