News Article: Off the Ice -- Team/DC News and Notes

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So based on Wilson's tweet he seems OK.

Anyone have word on Fehr or Beagle?

EDIT: Found it. Good news.

The Capitals beat Detroit without the services of center Eric Fehr, withheld with an upper-body injury tweaked Saturday in Ottawa, and now depending on his status could be short two forwards when Boston comes to Verizon Center on Wednesday. Fehr’s injury isn’t considered serious, however, and he likely could have played if the Capitals were in the playoffs, indicating he could return to face the Bruins.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2015/04/06/tom-wilson-stayed-overnight-in-detroit-listed-as-day-to-day/

Last edited:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Fellow HFers, if like me, you enjoy horrible puns, this is the article for you.

Backstreet's Back Alright lmao

But what I just noticed is that having Johansson, Backstrom, and Brouwer as a line gives Trotz two shutdown lines. He has the third line that is more or less a defensive cycling shutdown line and the second line that is a defensively strong line with real offensive ability. That gives Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Ward (I'd like to see Glencross there) the ability to take primarily offensive deployments and really strong flexibility with fourth line minutes, since that Ovechkin line isn't terrible defensively either with Kuznetsov coming into his own.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Backstreet's Back Alright lmao

But what I just noticed is that having Johansson, Backstrom, and Brouwer as a line gives Trotz two shutdown lines. He has the third line that is more or less a defensive cycling shutdown line and the second line that is a defensively strong line with real offensive ability. That gives Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Ward (I'd like to see Glencross there) the ability to take primarily offensive deployments and really strong flexibility with fourth line minutes, since that Ovechkin line isn't terrible defensively either with Kuznetsov coming into his own.

Good points, Chibi. I agree on Glenncross. And quite honestly, I liked what Bura brought to the 4th line quite a lot. A bit of possession and offensive threat. The lines are looking good. If Fehr's out for an extended time, though, I worry about that third line remaining effective absent any real offense.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wait....

You all want to see Glencross on the 1st line in lieu of Ward who has been playing excellent?

Also Glencross is a natural LW and Ward is a natural RW. Both play better at their positions.

So you want to take a player who is playing his natural position and playing much better in order to swap him out with a guy who is struggling and slide him into a position which he is not as effective in?

Do tell me why please.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I actually think Ward has been pretty bad. He looks slow, and not just speed wise. His hands and decision making aren't quick enough to play with guys like Ovie and Kuz. He's also taken some brutal penalties and been lazy in his own zone. The grade A chance from Kronwall in the third was totally on Wardo.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I actually think Ward has been pretty bad. He looks slow, and not just speed wise. His hands and decision making aren't quick enough to play with guys like Ovie and Kuz. He's also taken some brutal penalties and been lazy in his own zone. The grade A chance from Kronwall in the third was totally on Wardo.

What??

Ward scored twice against Carolina and scored against Montreal. The first line has looked pretty good as has the whole team. We've won 4 0f 5. 4 of those games were on the road and most all against good teams. He's scored 3 goals in his last 4 games and has been attacking the net.

But even if we go with your assertion....you think that GlenX has been better???

The guy who was stumbling all over himself vs Nashville?

RE: Brutal penalties

Ward has been crashing the net. Thats what we want. When you do that you will inevitably take penalties as you will cross the line at times. Those are penalties of aggression. The one vs Ottawa was a bit of a soft call. It should have been incidental contact if anything. Ward was only guilty of being stronger than the dman.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Joel Ward has as many even strength goals as Ovie's winger in 4 games as Johansson had in 80 last season.

While I agree with Ward I have to say youre bashing of MJ is so passe.

How many ES goals does MJ have this year? If you are going to rip on him for last year then give credit where credit is due this year. Doesn't he have like 16 or 17 ES goals?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Joel Ward takes terrible penalties. Gets a little too active with his stick, leading to trips, hooks, slashes, high sticks. He's actually lucky he doesn't get called for it more often.

I'm not sure the Ovie-Kuznetsov-Ward line will be sustainable. I would like to see Wilson in that RW spot (assuming he is healthy). Or dare I say they try Galiev??

CapsATB

Jan 20, 2015
who is leading the team in scoring after 5 games?

Is this a trick question? In no way am I saying that Kuz, Wilson, and Bura are more important or better than Backstrom and Ovechkin, I'm merely saying that the Caps have some good young forwards that won game 5 for them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess its the content of the post and not the clarified sentiment that was off base.

Ovechkin and Backstrom didn't get on the scoresheet. They were far from invisible, however. Kuznetsov had a star of the game game and yes, he is here to stay. Its also an overreach to conclude that those three won the game for them.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I dunno, I feel like the portion if writers that believe goalies shouldn't win the Hart will at least offset the Montreal writers that leave Ovie completely off the ballot.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There are video clips captured after games, interviews with Kuz and OV. In Russian. Do you watch them, guys?

http://video.ru.nhl.com/videocenter/

-> just added (недавно добавленные)

For example, yesterday Kuz said they're calm, don't feel any pressure, playing their game. They know Rangers are good in the 1st and Caps are not good enough in countering that. And so on.

I feel there is no such info being translated to English. Those bits are short but sometimes interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad