News Article: Off the Ice -- Team/DC News and Notes

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Very nice assists by Orlov. Stephenson goal was pretty nice though.

Jeff Schultz blast from the blueline is the only true highlight though. :laugh:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I say good for 55 for hanging out in the A waiting for another chance instead of hanging em up and just counting the money George gave him.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe Alex Prewitt - whose stuff I like and who seems generally on the ball - should tell the guys responsible for the Post's daily presentation of the NHL standings that the NHL playoffs don't work like the NBA playoffs, and that it's necessary to present the divisional races all the way up until the last day of the regular season in order to have a quick visualization of who might be playing who.

It's not a shock that (sigh) the Post's sports editors don't seem to know how the NHL playoffs work. But Alex knows and maybe he'll tell them.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wilson fine was absurd. Parise turned around and floored him unexpectedly. I cant believe they reviewed that at all and still went ahead with the fine.

Some highly suspicious officiating this past weekend on both him and Ovechkin.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Good to see the stats back up what I've seen. He's played well. I feel like he's taking more shots, he's doing much better keeping the puck in along the boards.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Wilson fine was absurd. Parise turned around and floored him unexpectedly. I cant believe they reviewed that at all and still went ahead with the fine.

Some highly suspicious officiating this past weekend on both him and Ovechkin.

The roughing call on Wilson yesterday was indefensible. Caps should compile several of the recent clips of Wilson getting penalized in scrums for doing much less than others, or indeed absolutely nothing other than getting punched in the face.

Caps should send the compilation to league and say: 'We get it, you wanted to send a message. We received the message. We talked to him. Now no more phantom calls. Because it's now reflecting badly on refs and league, not Wilson.'

As for diving, I would have given Yandle 2 minutes for the Oscar-worthy act yesterday of grimacing, balling up in the corner, and then gingerly limping away after the slash from Ward.

Miraculously, Yandle was just fine for the ensuing power play.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I guess the team needs to listen to their stats guys moar. Backwards coach healthy scratched one of the top 3 forwards in the league.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
As for diving, I would have given Yandle 2 minutes for the Oscar-worthy act yesterday of grimacing, balling up in the corner, and then gingerly limping away after the slash from Ward.

Miraculously, Yandle was just fine for the ensuing power play.

I don't know what CSN showed for replays, but there was a slow-mo that I saw that showed Ward's stick getting Yandle just above the shin guard and just below the bottom of his pants. It had to hurt.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It does seem like Wilson and Ovechkin have been getting some backlash from the refs lately.

I mean where was this backlash against Callahan flopping the last time we made the playoffs? Where was it against Upshall in 08?

Whatever. Caps will just have to play through the refs.

On the positive side of things as the article mentions it seems Wilson is playing much stronger and the 4th line as a whole much better.

Our PK is much improved from earlier in the season although they still struggle to make simple clears at times.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It does seem like Wilson and Ovechkin have been getting some backlash from the refs lately.

I mean where was this backlash against Callahan flopping the last time we made the playoffs? Where was it against Upshall in 08?

Whatever. Caps will just have to play through the refs.

On the positive side of things as the article mentions it seems Wilson is playing much stronger and the 4th line as a whole much better.

Our PK is much improved from earlier in the season although they still struggle to make simple clears at times.

I don't see the refs going this hard after Wilson in the playoffs. NHL doesn't want to risk the massive backlash if games start turning into teams favor because of terrible refereeing. Atleast not in the playoffs where the calls are at minimum.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't see the refs going this hard after Wilson in the playoffs. NHL doesn't want to risk the massive backlash if games start turning into teams favor because of terrible refereeing. Atleast not in the playoffs where the calls are at minimum.

I hope your right. Although that last series against the Rangers doesn't have me brimming with confidence.

It wasn't much better in 09 vs the Pens.

Or other teams getting PPs and 5 on 3s in OT against us (Philly in game 7, Tampa in game 3 in 03 etc...a long history...I think Jagr got one against us against Pitt in 1999 too)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The NHL has an agenda in how they call games and certain players. They clearly want Wilson to tone it down.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The league also hated Sean Avery, but that didn't stop them from allowing him to do pretty much anything in the playoffs.

Avery - Boyle - Prust -line was a disgrace to hockey and they didn't get called for anything against the Caps in 1 of their playoff series.

Vladiator16*

The league also hated Sean Avery, but that didn't stop them from allowing him to do pretty much anything in the playoffs.

Avery - Boyle - Prust -line was a disgrace to hockey and they didn't get called for anything against the Caps in 1 of their playoff series.

Its the ****ing Rangers... playing them in NY is like playing Habs in MTL, or Pens in Pittsburgh...

Apr 6, 2004
JillCSN: Verizon Ctr will get new dasher boards for next season, current boards are from '97 when bldg was first constructed.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
JillCSN: Verizon Ctr will get new dasher boards for next season, current boards are from '97 when bldg was first constructed.

Mike Green would appreciate it if they could have some extra padding please and thank you.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Has anyone run the standings minus the loser point? Curious...

Honestly the loser point is why I roll my eyes to myself when someone says we're a hundred point pace team. Yes in an inflated and flawed system. Basically it doesn't mean what it once did.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Has anyone run the standings minus the loser point? Curious...

Honestly the loser point is why I roll my eyes to myself when someone says we're a hundred point pace team. Yes in an inflated and flawed system. Basically it doesn't mean what it once did.

Wins and losses mean little to me, because of it. Everything I see in the standings just seems watered down, and more meaningless than ever before.

And I still hate how they change the standings format when the playoffs roll around, and do a poor job of annotating the actual divisions. Or no job at all.

How hard it is to show the division next to the team name, or show the divisional standings below.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad