Rumor: Off Season Trade Thread vol. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
If Spezza is traded, the return better be so mindblowing that to not have made the trade would have been insanity. Can't imagine many scenarios where the Senators trade Spezza and get better. Despite what the many delusional Spezza haters have to say.

Ottawa has a huge dilemma this summer because they need to figure out if Spezza is worth 6/7million for another 7 or 8 years. A healthy Spezza certainly is but a budget team like Ottawa can't afford to make a mistake on someone who might be injured a lot. Then again, if he did ask for a trade then, there is no dilemma.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Well, the position held by several people here is that we have a better team when Spezza isn't playing. They'll be happy when he's gone no matter what the return is.

And then turn their constant need to criticize/hate towards Erik Karlsson.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, the position held by several people here is that we have a better team when Spezza isn't playing. They'll be happy when he's gone no matter what the return is.

I've turned the corner when it comes to dealing Spezza

I'd be down to trade him but not because I think he's bad or not good enough

-We have an incoming UFA crunch and we're broke
-We need some serious defensive help

Trading Spezza could offer some serious help on both accounts

That being said if I'm Murray and I'm looking at trading Spezza there is one condition: I need a great dman back, ideally a number 2. If that's not part of the deal then keep him, trading him for another forward would be silly: Spezza is one of the better centres in the NHL, if we part ways it has to be improve the area the team needs addressed.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Tough to trade Spezza when he produces what he does for a mere $4M. Is that really value you can replace? Maybe it increases his value enough that you get 2 valuable pieces from a team but I don't think that is likely.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Tough to trade Spezza when he produces what he does for a mere $4M. Is that really value you can replace? Maybe it increases his value enough that you get 2 valuable pieces from a team but I don't think that is likely.

The Senators score plenty of goals

We need to give the opposition less

If Spezza gets traded it shouldn't to be replaced: we could stand to score less if it meant better defense

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And then turn their constant need to criticize/hate towards Erik Karlsson.

Sadly, this will likely be the case for some once he's moved out of the honeymoon phase of 'young player with high potential'.

I've turned the corner when it comes to dealing Spezza

I'd be down to trade him but not because I think he's bad or not good enough

-We have an incoming UFA crunch and we're broke
-We need some serious defensive help

Trading Spezza could offer some serious help on both accounts

That being said if I'm Murray and I'm looking at trading Spezza there is one condition: I need a great dman back, ideally a number 2. If that's not part of the deal then keep him, trading him for another forward would be silly: Spezza is one of the better centres in the NHL, if we part ways it has to be improve the area the team needs addressed.

I'm actually ambivalent towards the whole thing. I'm interested to see what happens, and how the last season is dealt with.

I want Spezza to succeed here, but I also know that I have no control over anything that goes in with the team, so I have have long ago decided to sit back and enjoy/be interested in the ride.

I would prefer that we not end up toiling in perpetual rebuild like the Oilers and Islanders of the league. This summer will give everyone a clearer picture on the direction we're headed in.

Lite a mup!

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
It's amazing to think how much worse off this franchise would be if we had signed Clarkson. I'm assuming that we wouldn't have signed MacArthur. DISASTER.

Berserker*

After this game Kassian definitely won't be re-signed. Keep an eye on free agent heavyweights in various leagues as the Sens will likely be in the market for his replacement this off season.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

These morons won't be happy until we're a team consisting of Smiths Greenings and Condras.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Keep Spezza next year, add a D, sign Hemsky.

If it still goes off the cliff deal Spezza at the deadline, let him chase his cup

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah. I've seen spezza for Andrew shaw and spezza to LA for Dwight King. Safe to say some people would rather a bag of pucks for Turris to use than have spezza play for the Sens past this season.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Keeping the budget in mind, and being decently realistic.

Let Milo walk, use that 4.5 mil to grab Andrew McDonald (Cost essentially offsets)

Use Cowen + Hoffman and/or Stone as trade bait for a winger to play with Spez and Hemsky, doesn't have to be an all-star just a guy who can pot 20-25 with all the chances he'll get from the other two (Also offsets cost)

New winger-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Zibanejad-Lazar
Greening-???-Neil (Condra)

Methot-Karlsson
McDonald-Ceci
Wiercioch-??? (Phillips)

As for the ???'s, we have guys to play there, just not really sure who should. If we're willing to spend a bit extra we could sign a gritty 4th liner for about 1 mil (Someone like Konopka comes to mind) or maybe plug Grant in there. As for the D, maybe Phillips or Wiercioch could play on their off-side? Not sure who would be available on the FA market as a cheap available #6. I actually don't mind Gryba in there but I'm not completely sold on him yet.

As for resigning the future UFA's, Hemsky is going to require us to raise our budget by at least 3 mil since we're paying like 1/4 of his contract this year, although that's not too much to ask I think. I would try my best to give away Greening which would almost offset that cost for next year. Might have to pay in picks for someone to take him, I heard Calgary was willing to do this at the deadline, maybe they are at the draft?

Budget is going to have to increase for 2015-2016 but I imagine if Melnyk pockets the 30+ mil from the TSN contract for next season that should essentially offset his "losses" and we can raise the budget by another 5-7 mil to make sure we keep Ryan and MacArthur. At this point Lehner may be able to be a starter which means we can let Andy's 3 mil loose which probably pays for Ryan's pay raise.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Keep Spezza next year, add a D, sign Hemsky.

If it still goes off the cliff deal Spezza at the deadline, let him chase his cup

Rentals got basically nothing this year so our return would be pretty bad. Teams didnt even want to trade 2014 firsts.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Rentals got basically nothing this year so our return would be pretty bad. Teams didnt even want to trade 2014 firsts.

Yes, because very few teams had the salary space to accommodate a high priced rental. Next year, there won't be that problem. Really just not comparable situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad