GDT: Off-Season Thread IV - July 1st 'Oh ****' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah and we need an Ekblad not a Demers. I know you're high on him but he's a #3 at best. Not what we should chase.

I don't disagree with you there man, but adding Demers to the right side makes us a better team than a rotation of Green, Ericsson, Marchenko/Smith that we currently have there.

Would have been nice to use the Helm money on it, but oh well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nielsen, Vanek, and Tatar are now all teammates who will play together on team Europe for the World Cup of Hockey. Maybe they play on the same line and show some chemistry to become our second line.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I think Holland figures the Wings need goal scoring more. I think if they trade for a D it should be someone like Bogosian who is big, can skate and can fire the puck. The wings don't have anyone who scares the other team with their one timer from the D. I miss a shot like Shanny had but wish for one like that on the D.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How do we know? Would have had a bigger role here, that's for sure. We have nothing close to an Ekblad on the right side.

How do we know he wanted to go to the Panthers for less money? It was reported as such.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/source-panthers-demers-agree-5-year-22-5-million-contract/

The right-shooting defenceman was a highly coveted commodity on the free-agent market and garnered multiple offers when the signing period opened Friday. Florida is believed to have entered the process somewhat late after the first wave of deals passed without him agreeing to one.

He wound up taking a little less than other teams were offering in order to join the Panthers, according to sources. His contract includes a $1-million signing bonus payable right away and a limited eight-team no-trade clause over the first four seasons.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
How many times does it have to be mentioned signing with a Florida team for less money, is not signing for less money?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How many times does it have to be mentioned signing with a Florida team for less money, is not signing for less money?

I love how this has never been brought up before this season. It wasn't brought up when both of them were taking top 5 picks every year and free agents went to the Rangers and Toronto for huge bucks.

You know what makes people sign deals in Florida? The teams are good and people want to stay with organizations on the rise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I love how this has never been brought up before this season. It wasn't brought up when both of them were taking top 5 picks every year and free agents went to the Rangers and Toronto for huge bucks.

You know what makes people sign deals in Florida? The teams are good and people want to stay with organizations on the rise.

Bingo bango.

Just like parity is never brought up by the teams that are winning.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Agreed. Stamkos decides to stay in Tampa and suddenly everyone is an income tax expert.

Texas has no state tax either. That must be the secret to Yzerman's and Nill's success. Lack of income tax.

Detroit just lost their best player, their stars are injured or broken down, they only really have Larkin and Mrazek as exceptional young talent, they have an inexperienced coach, and a mess of a blueline. Not the most compelling destination for free agents with a lot of options.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014

It has been brought up, especially in other sports. But saying wow, look at all these virtuous guys who just want to win who are signing with these teams for so much less money isn't accurate depiction of the situation either. I don't believe if Stamkos was offered an actual 3 million less per season that he would have stayed in Tampa.

My BIL just got a job in Florida. First thing they said to him when negotiating salary was the lack of income tax and how much more take home he would have. I would tend to think when the income is in the 7 figures that it is likely part of the negotiation process.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Agreed. Stamkos decides to stay in Tampa and suddenly everyone is an income tax expert.

Texas has no state tax either. That must be the secret to Yzerman's and Nill's success. Lack of income tax.

Detroit just lost their best player, their stars are injured or broken down, they only really have Larkin and Mrazek as exceptional young talent, they have an inexperienced coach, and a mess of a blueline. Not the most compelling destination for free agents with a lot of options.

No Bernie Sanders I mean Gary Bettman says equal distribution so all the Cups must go to the Penguins or Hawks until 2020.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It has been brought up, especially in other sports. But saying wow, look at all these virtuous guys who just want to win who are signing with these teams for so much less money isn't accurate depiction of the situation either. I don't believe if Stamkos was offered an actual 3 million less per season that he would have stayed in Tampa.

My BIL just got a job in Florida. First thing they said to him when negotiating salary was the lack of income tax and how much more take home he would have. I would tend to think when the income is in the 7 figures that it is likely part of the negotiation process.

I'm sure it comes up. But I'm saying the free agents are going to the Florida teams now because they are really good hockey teams. Why wasn't this a big issue 10 years ago for the Panthers? Why did the Rangers and leafs still dominate free agency?

The tax thing is icing. The draw is playing for well managed teams that are poised to compete for the Cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
AA... Enjoy 7 minutes a game with Miller and Glendening. That's your reward, buddy.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm sure it comes up. But I'm saying the free agents are going to the Florida teams now because they are really good hockey teams. Why wasn't this a big issue 10 years ago for the Panthers? Why did the Rangers and leafs still dominate free agency?

The tax thing is icing. The draw is playing for well managed teams that are poised to compete for the Cup.

The city.
The team.
The money.

Those three things have been the primary considerations for any player in any sport forever. Some guys have different rankings, and others have different weights within the rankings.

All that stuff slides along a scale.

Is it a draw to join a team with potential? Of course. Would that situation be as interesting if that team was offering you 70% of what you could get elsewhere? No. Would that situation be as interesting if the city the team played in was hot garbage? No.

Would some guys ignore major flaws in one or two of those categories if the other things were great? Sure.

It's really difficult to know with any degree of certainty why players choose to go where they go. Even if players comment on it honestly, and there's no value in them doing so, they're going to be fairly vague.

The Florida teams are obviously a superior destination now than they were 10 years ago because a) the teams are better now and b) those teams are spending more money now.

Before the 04 lockout, the Wings were spending ~17 mil more than the Lightning and Panthers combined, and 6 other teams were spending as much or more than those two clubs combined were.

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
James Wiz is a RH shot and a FA.......Sorry if its been mentioned......a d man with toughness that can move the puck and run a PP.....

interested?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
James Wiz is a RH shot and a FA.......Sorry if its been mentioned......a d man with toughness that can move the puck and run a PP.....

interested?

I'm getting deja vu here but.....

Even if we're interested, everything I've read out of Wiz's mouth says he's not...

Do we even have the cap space anymore? He's an FA right? Not a trade? So we'd have to dump some of the FIFTEEN ****ING FORWARDS we got to make room to sign the *******?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
"If they can make it". In other words, no, they'll find excuses to squeeze them out. I'm absolutely sick of this. How did AA not earn a spot on this roster?
What is wrong with you people?

They could have AA in mind as the #3C (Blash likes him even if he only played him 8 minutes per game last year) and you know they like Bert (who isn't NHL ready). Mantha is a wildcard who I think needs to have a huge camp to make it.

Jurco and Pulkkinen's days are numbered. If they're not traded in the summer, they'll be playing for their lives in camp. Is Miller healthy? Could start on LTIR. Other injuries usually happen. What does Vanek show? Ott? These guys are easy to dump if they're outplayed by kids.

AA didn't play 30+ games even before showing much in the AHL because Holland/Blash hates the guy. If he doesn't start with the Wings he'll be called up early.

So much complaining for no reason. If Holland said "AA has a guaranteed spot" and AA sucks in camp, how does that look? Kid still needs to build on last season, not do what Jurco did and get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad