GDT: Off-Season Thread III - The Sound of Silence Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the Sound of Settling is more appropriate. Plus it's a good jam.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Alright guys, I've sorted it:

Overpay for Okposo, 7x7
Overpay for Nielsen 5.5x4 (pay more for one year fewer)
Sign Vanek as a band-aid. 3x2

Trade Nyquist/Tatar +Pulkkinen/Jurco + pick for Fowler
Trade Tatar/Nyquist + Dekeyser for Trouba + pick
Trade Smith for picks

Sign Mrazek to 3.5x2
Sign Trouba to 6x7
Sign March to 1x2

Vanek - Larkin - Okposo
Nielsen - Z - Abby
AA - Sheahan - Mantha
Miller - Glen - Jurco
Nosek

Kronwall - Trouba
Fowler - Green
Ericsson - March
XO

Mrazek
Howard

500k left in cap space, even with Franzen only giving us $1.5M in cap relief.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
A handful of Hudler, Staal, Filpulla, Helm, Brouwer, Russel. I know most would absolutley hate it, and stop watching(yeah right), but I would be happier with the Wings than I've been since Hossa.

Despite the hype, the NHL is still a league where depth and vets are incredibly important. Chemistry and identity as well.

The Red Wings have a great opportunity to jump back into contention this summer. Fingers crossed.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Stamkos resigning before Friday is a godsend to every forward going to free agency. Think Staal, Nielsen, or Okposo are going for cheap? There were rumors of Okposo letting teams bid over him and getting between over 6 million a year. No thanks. Best to stand pat instead of paying the B squad A squad money.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A handful of Hudler, Staal, Filpulla, Helm, Brouwer, Russel. I know most would absolutley hate it, and stop watching(yeah right), but I would be happier with the Wings than I've been since Hossa.

Despite the hype, the NHL is still a league where depth and vets are incredibly important. Chemistry and identity as well.

The Red Wings have a great opportunity to jump back into contention this summer. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, no they don't. Not one of the players you mentioned brings them anywhere near what they lost by Datsyuk leaving, let alone makes up for the decline of the rest of the core.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Stamkos resigning before Friday is a godsend to every forward going to free agency. Think Staal, Nielsen, or Okposo are going for cheap? There were rumors of Okposo letting teams bid over him and getting between over 6 million a year. No thanks. Best to stand pat instead of paying the B squad A squad money.
Friday is going to be like the desperation Olympics. 10 GMs who cannot afford to miss the playoffs, 3 free agents. Who sinks, who swims? Tune in and see!

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
imo, the FA fwd crop is so deep, there will be players that are undervalued, maybe not Okposo or some of the C's, but there will be some great deals to be had.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, no they don't. Not one of the players you mentioned brings them anywhere near what they lost by Datsyuk leaving, let alone makes up for the decline of the rest of the core.

It's an 18 man game.

The core at this point are the guys under 27 yo. 40 and 55 (and 13 if he was still here) are damaged goods, that can't get worse than last year, and will be better off as support players on a deep, balanced team.

imo, we have an opportunity to build a deep and balanced team, with cap space and stamkos off the board.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It's an 18 man game.

The core at this point are the guys under 27 yo. 40 and 55 (and 13 if he was still here) are damaged goods, that can't get worse than last year, and will be better off as support players on a deep, balanced team.

imo, we have an opportunity to build a deep and balanced team, with cap space and stamkos off the board.
Depth is useless without top-notch elite core (look at chicago and pittsburgh)

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
imo, the FA fwd crop is so deep, there will be players that are undervalued, maybe not Okposo or some of the C's, but there will be some great deals to be had.

No, there won't. This league is built on superstars, not depth players. The Wings have no elite talent, expecting the Wings to 'contend' after signing Hudler and Ladd is crazy.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Still intrigued by Lucic, Okposo, Nielson, and Martin.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's an 18 man game.

And objective facts point to the fact you can't build a team from spare parts. This team needs an elite center and an elite defender. They lack the elite talent to even sniff contention.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
No. Although now people are pretty scared what he'll do with all the free cap space.

True.

But this is said about nearly every GM and it appears Lucic may be off the board. Which is the scariest move to me.

On a side note, chalk up Stamkos as another guy who opted not to jump at the chance to play under Babcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad