Off-Season Plan: Think like a Holland

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ryan miller will stay out west. Actress wife or something like that. Not that we're going to move either of our goalies anyway. Jagr seems likely as he doesn't seem to care about playing for a contender. Will be interesting to see if he takes a final lap in Pittsburgh though as they have mended some fences this past year. Montreal may over pay him if they flame out in the playoffs,they need offensive help and don't have much movable assets to acquire anyone big. Would be a mistake for any contender though jags has been toast in the spring the last handful of years. The long season is too much for even the ageless one.
Just so he still has a little value to flip at the trade deadline. :naughty:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
While Kroner is injured nobody step up on oar defense, not Green , not DD. Mabey Smith and Quincy wasn't this team problem and we kind of get suffered to trade those two. I wonder if we can trade Green + Nyquist for young promising defensemen . And I think that AA , Larkin, Tatar, Mantha should be untouchable

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He leaves Dykeyser unprotected - I think that it would cost more than a 3rd rounder or 2 to have LV take Helm over Dykeyser. D is a young minutes-eater and LV has lots of $$.

Dekeyser's also been slipping and hasn't been far above Ericsson, except Ericsson has far fewer years left. If we lose Dekeyser it would suck, but it wouldn't be crippling. And it would open up cap space to pursue a UFA or trade option.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland makes it very clear this isn't a rebuild. He wants to make the playoffs next year. :p

Holland: Red Wings not making postseason will hit home on first day of playoffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3yKxnu7CiU

Holland is so afraid of doing the hard things, that he's willing to mortgage any future success to be mediocre one more year. How can anyone here have any faith in a person who is unwilling to admit the obvious?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Holland makes it very clear this isn't a rebuild. He wants to make the playoffs next year. :p

Holland is a major joke, Who does he believe he's going to bring in next season UFA wise to make this a much better team. Because as it stands now know way is this team going to make the playoffs. Unless he can bring in a impact player or two we're not making the playoffs for two straight years.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Think like a Holland - that means building a "competitive" team that can make the playoffs.

Assets: Tons of draft picks, lots of wingers
Liabilities: No cap space, lots of bad contracts on aging players.

I honestly don't think he'll trade our 1st, or even trade down (unless there really isn't anyone available we like).

I think he'll look to use all those 2nds and 3rd to pick up players that are going to be left unprotected in the expansion draft otherwise. Rather than perusing the UFA list, we need to looking at who's going to potentially be left exposed.

Probably try and make a trade for a D-man using all our wingers and picks. We've got a very good set of wingers in Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, AA, Abdelkader, even Larkin. Svech in the minors. We can afford to package one of them up, fill the gap with Vanek.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Think like a Holland - that means building a "competitive" team that can make the playoffs.

Assets: Tons of draft picks, lots of wingers
Liabilities: No cap space, lots of bad contracts on aging players.

I honestly don't think he'll trade our 1st, or even trade down (unless there really isn't anyone available we like).

I think he'll look to use all those 2nds and 3rd to pick up players that are going to be left unprotected in the expansion draft otherwise. Rather than perusing the UFA list, we need to looking at who's going to potentially be left exposed.

Probably try and make a trade for a D-man using all our wingers and picks. We've got a very good set of wingers in Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, AA, Abdelkader, even Larkin. Svech in the minors. We can afford to package one of them up, fill the gap with Vanek.

That's interesting maybe we can move a pick/winger to Vegas for one of the d they pick up in the expansion draft. I know Minnesota is going to lose a good one maybe that is an option. Knowing holland we will have the same blue line next year tho

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yup the D needs a complete major overhaul here, That's for sure.

That's the thing, it's easy for me to get sidetracked into tanking arguments, but this team needs a #1 center to replace Zetterberg and a #1 D-man and probably more on the blueline.

How does Holland plan to acquire those hard to come by pieces without a significant tear-down?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

It's very likely Holland is being asked by the family to make the playoffs for financial reasons, especially making the playoffs in the new building.

The problem is the missed opportunity. If they would have started the rebuild 5 years ago we could be going into the new building as contendors without a bunch of unmovable veteran contracts and possibly with Z and still D on the team in reduced roles. Keeping the streak alive might have provided the family with playoff revenue each year but I hope they realized they were going to enter the new building as the dead wings 2.0

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Dekeyser is left unprotected, it means Holland doesn't have the final say in what our protection list looks like. Which I could see happening. There is no reason from a business or a hockey perspective not to leave Helm, Abdelkader, or Dekeyser out in the cold, given what they contribute vis-a-vis their cost. It's a golden opportunity if you can look past loyalty, which I'm sure Chris Illitch can do after his team just missed the playoffs. It's not liked DD has worked himself into fan favorite status. Quite the opposite.

Also, there are rumors that Alec Martinez is on the trade block in Vegas for a "hockey trade." He has 36 points on the year but, more importantly, he's from Michigan :)sarcasm:). LA is interestingly short on playmakers and has had trouble scoring goals all year. Conversely, they seem very happy with their young D coming up. So could Nyquist at 750k retained (to match Martinez's salary) be a smart target for them? It's possible, especially with add-ons from us. Nyquist would be T-2nd in assists on LA this year. That could be one trade Holland is actually comfortable with...

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Plan: get your picks this draft. Let the youngsters currently on the team take over next season with older veterans reduced to mentoring positions. Bring up more players from the minors and give them an honest shot at making the big roster. Give Blash 20-30 games to see what he does without the pressure and fire him if he has nothing new to offer. Try to get high returns for Green. Maybe consider offloading Nyquist, Tatar, or even both for the right deal. Trim more fat. Get your picks at the draft. Rinse and repeat until you have something functional in the works.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He leaves Dykeyser unprotected - I think that it would cost more than a 3rd rounder or 2 to have LV take Helm over Dykeyser. D is a young minutes-eater and LV has lots of $$.

Depends on who's available elsewhere. I could see better, cheaper, young veterans being available for Vegas on D. And Dekeyser has next to no marketability. He's not an easy guy for Vegas to flip, either. Although maybe that's why the take him - knowing they're going to flip the better defenseman they can get their hands on, they still need a veteran guy with experience on the top pair to stay at home.

Abby and Helm definitely trump DD in terms of marketability. These guys are known around the league for being tough SOBs who are fun for the home team to watch (even if that rep is seriously outdated). They could help create an image for Vegas and give them some consistency to boot. If either landed on Vegas, they'd probably be up for the captaincy, believe it or not.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's the thing, it's easy for me to get sidetracked into tanking arguments, but this team needs a #1 center to replace Zetterberg and a #1 D-man and probably more on the blueline.

How does Holland plan to acquire those hard to come by pieces without a significant tear-down?

I genuinely believe he thinks luck and time will do the trick. Stay afloat long enough, and either the right opportunity will come along or you'll get lucky and find it where it's most unlikely.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Plan: get your picks this draft. Let the youngsters currently on the team take over next season with older veterans reduced to mentoring positions. Bring up more players from the minors and give them an honest shot at making the big roster. Give Blash 20-30 games to see what he does without the pressure and fire him if he has nothing new to offer. Try to get high returns for Green. Maybe consider offloading Nyquist, Tatar, or even both for the right deal. Trim more fat. Get your picks at the draft. Rinse and repeat until you have something functional in the works.

This is the "think like a Holland" thread, not the "tank/rebuild" thread

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I am fine with the majority of his plan except trading down that far in the draft. Going from 7th to 18th is a huge leap. It is likely that one of Pettersson, Vilardi or Mittelstadt fall to us and if so I think we need to take them. Not sold on Liljegren

I think Holland easily trades back, but that doesn't necessarily mean to 18th just because STL has 2 first rounders. Imagine NYI trades 15 + WX to move up to Winnipeg's 11. Then NYI trades WPG's 11 + YZ to Florida for their 9th. Then you trade your 7th to Florida for Winnipeg's 11th + AZ....

In other words, there are way too many factors going on to say it wouldn't be likely nor smart to trade back. There seems to be a ton of grey area in this years 3-15 or so.

Pretty sure I got called a mad hat conspiracy theorist for this a couple months ago, but I expect Holland to trade back modestly - not just to gain more kicks at the can but to also distance his legacy from having had any high picks. What better draft to do so than this one.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Danny DeKeyser had a terrible season. Short-term memory though. He was awesome last year. You protect him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I genuinely believe he thinks luck and time will do the trick. Stay afloat long enough, and either the right opportunity will come along or you'll get lucky and find it where it's most unlikely.

Holland doesn't have any interest in becoming good again. His only goal is to make the playoffs, even if it's on the last day of the season and you back your way in like we did last year. Win 1 game in the playoffs, win none it really makes no difference to him.

Once you understand this you understand his mindset and what this offseason will look like.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Unless Holland is stupid, the title should read, think like an Illitch.

Make money, make the playoffs, put people in the stands.

Holland is the face of keeping to ownership happy. They give him the budget, he has to make the playoffs.

I'm convinced that's it. Otherwise Holland has brain damage and can't see this team going off cliff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad