Off-Season Plan: Think like a Holland

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think its pretty evident at this point that Holland has no intention of tanking or going into an undeniable rebuild via tanking. The team is still playing competitive hockey, there has only been a modest move towards playing the youngsters more, and - likewise - only a modest sale of players at the deadline. Holland has spoken out repeatedly against rebuilds in the past few months and a simple google search will vindicate that stance.

So what are your projections? I have some thoughts in mind but I'd like to see everyone else's. I'm going to anticipate that the cap remains the same ($73M) and that Riley Sheahan gets taken in the expansion draft. (Mainly for projection purposes - I figure his $2M salary being off the books is a nice compromise between the potential of someone like XO being taken in the ED versus someone like Howard or Abby being taken). Thus, it might be helpful to think of next year's roster as being less ~$2M than what is projected in Capfriendly, for example.

Also might want to consider the potential that Ericsson is LTIRetired next season. But the important part is to remember that Holland has shown us who he is - don't pointlessly project a youth-based, tank-worthy lineup just because thats what you want to see.

For the lazy, here are some names to consider:

UFA Forwards:
- Thornton
- Marleau
- Sharp
- Radulov
- Iginla
- Fisher
- Stafford
- Oshie
- Jagr
- Hanzal
- Vanek
- Wingels
- Boyle
- Bonino
- Stalberg
- PAP
- Eaves
- Versteeg
- Ott
- Miller

Potential Unqualified RFAs:
- Burmistrov
- Yakupov
- Pirri
- Eric Gelinas

UFA Defense:
- Wideman
- Streit
- Kulikov
- Shattenkirk
- Stone
- MDZ
- Franson
- Daley
- Quincey

UFA Goalies
- Miller
- Nilsson
- Budaj
- Darling
- Condon

Bonus - Alleged Players on the Trade Block:
- Sami Vatanen
- Alec Martinec
- Alex Killorn
- Matt Duchene
- Tyson Barrie
- Mutliple Florida players (potentially Demers, Yandle, and Hubie)
- Varlamov
(feel free to add if you hear something)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ill be surprised if Jagr isn't a wing next season.

Dude, when I heard that Florida was most likely "moving on" from Jagr, my first thought was that this is just the kind of guy Holland would hound. Not only does he have something left in the tank, but that name alone is marketability in the bank. Jagr + New Arena makes too much sense from a Holland perspective.

That's actually why I started this thread. Hearing that Jagr would hit the market made me start thinking about next season's roster.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If he's a wing I hope it's not with the Wings.

Why not? I'm not a Jagr fan by any means but he'd be a huge mentor to Mantha and AA (probably to Tatar as well). Two-thirds of our best youngsters (maybe even Svech to boot) are offensive wingers. They could soak up a lot from Jagr, regardless of how he performs for the Wings, and he would be receptive to a one-year, inconsequential, likely bonus-ladened deal while also providing marketability. All that and he's content to play on the 3rd line...

I mean, he could be Sakic, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, or even Lemieux, and if he provided those benefits, I'd be open to the deal. But even then, you have to think about the alternative: You know Holland is going to sign some veteran offense, so would you rather have Jagr...or the dregs of the UFA forward crew like Drew Stafford (one of Holland's favorites in the past) or guys like Bonino and Versteeg - two guys who provide half the skill, a quarter of the mentorship, and none of the marketability that Jagr does?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Why not? I'm not a Jagr fan by any means but he'd be a huge mentor to Mantha and AA (probably to Tatar as well). Two-thirds of our best youngsters (maybe even Svech to boot) are offensive wingers. They could soak up a lot from Jagr, regardless of how he performs for the Wings, and he would be receptive to a one-year, inconsequential, likely bonus-ladened deal while also providing marketability. All that and he's content to play on the 3rd line...

I mean, he could be Sakic, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, or even Lemieux, and if he provided those benefits, I'd be open to the deal. But even then, you have to think about the alternative: You know Holland is going to sign some veteran offense, so would you rather have Jagr...or the dregs of the UFA forward crew like Drew Stafford (one of Holland's favorites in the past) or guys like Bonino and Versteeg - two guys who provide half the skill, a quarter of the mentorship, and none of the marketability that Jagr does?

not to mention that unlike Jagr Holland would probably end up signing someone like that for significantly longer than 1 year as well

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
not to mention that unlike Jagr Holland would probably end up signing someone like that for significantly longer than 1 year as well

Yup...It goes from Jagr @ 1 yr for $3-3.5M + bonuses (that he probably won't reach) to Vanek @ $2.5M for 2 years and Versteeg or Bonino at 3 years for $1.8M...or something similar.

In short, its Vanek + Nielsen for 5+ years instead of Radulov + no one for 1 year. We don't need to see this show again.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I think its pretty evident at this point that Holland has no intention of tanking or going into an undeniable rebuild via tanking. The team is still playing competitive hockey, there has only been a modest move towards playing the youngsters more, and - likewise - only a modest sale of players at the deadline. Holland has spoken out repeatedly against rebuilds in the past few months and a simple google search will vindicate that stance.

So what are your projections? I have some thoughts in mind but I'd like to see everyone else's. I'm going to anticipate that the cap remains the same ($73M) and that Riley Sheahan gets taken in the expansion draft. (Mainly for projection purposes - I figure his $2M salary being off the books is a nice compromise between the potential of someone like XO being taken in the ED versus someone like Howard or Abby being taken). Thus, it might be helpful to think of next year's roster as being less ~$2M than what is projected in Capfriendly, for example.

Also might want to consider the potential that Ericsson is LTIRetired next season. But the important part is to remember that Holland has shown us who he is - don't pointlessly project a youth-based, tank-worthy lineup just because thats what you want to see.

For the lazy, here are some names to consider:

UFA Forwards:
- Thornton
- Marleau
- Sharp
- Radulov
- Iginla
- Fisher
- Stafford
- Oshie
- Jagr
- Hanzal
- Vanek
- Wingels
- Boyle
- Bonino
- Stalberg
- PAP
- Eaves
- Versteeg
- Ott
- Miller

Potential Unqualified RFAs:
- Burmistrov
- Yakupov
- Pirri
- Eric Gelinas

UFA Defense:
- Wideman
- Streit
- Kulikov
- Shattenkirk
- Stone
- MDZ
- Franson
- Daley
- Quincey

UFA Goalies
- Miller
- Nilsson
- Budaj
- Darling
- Condon

Bonus - Alleged Players on the Trade Block:
- Sami Vatanen
- Alec Martinec
- Alex Killorn
- Matt Duchene
- Tyson Barrie
- Mutliple Florida players (potentially Demers, Yandle, and Hubie)
- Varlamov
(feel free to add if you hear something)

Get Shattenkirk get Franson get rid of Ericson and kronwall,
let miller go bring Vanek back get rid of sheham sign Oshie I kind of want to trade z to a team that can win it next year,

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
let miller go bring Vanek back get rid of sheham sign Oshie I kind of want to trade z to a team that can win it next year,

How does any of that truly benefit the organization? Honestly.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Think like a Holland...let's see...

There's the ostrich burying its head in the sand. There's the Iraqi Information Minister, saying everything is fine. There's the 'less is more exciting' quote from the man himself.

And then there's the actual (albeit minor) sell-offs at the trade deadline, and Devellano openly advocating a rebuild via high draft picks.

So I'm not quite sure I know what a Holland will think like on July 1st. I just hope that Grandpa doesn't hit anything more than mailboxes before somebody finally takes away the car keys. (As in, for heaven's sake, please don't sign any more long-term contracts to players over 30, and please make next season your last as GM.)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I guess you should have lead off with get rid of the cap first...

Also (forget the cap for a second) if you are getting two right d-man and two top six wingers, why are we selling Z at that point?

I will give you credit at least you didn't take a needless and inaccurate shot at Holland which will likely comprise 75% of this thread. But I don't understand these series of moves. How they are possible with a cap and then how it makes sense to deal away the captain it would seem we made all these moves for...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well as we all know the off-season starts at the draft when the first top 10 pick in forever is traded with a third for a mid first and a mid second

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Shattenkirk is about the only one on that list Id want us to have a crack at. I dont think we have any significant salary leaving this year though and Weiss buyout numbers go up $1.5m along with a significant Tatar raise.

I wish Holland would have just walked away on Neilsens deal. Its like he doesnt know how to say enough is enough.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Jagr would be a perfect mentor for mantha. Wouldn't mind him. I'm pro tank. Also if we sign some of these guys and they do well it's more 2-4th round picks for us at the TDL

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Book our tee times a week and a half early?

It think it's difficult to say anything for sure. Thinking of Reddwit's response to the Devellano article yes there could be mixed messages being sent out. "We'll speak candidly about the team...but nothing is going to change". It's like some fans stating the Wings have already been rebuilding, now the Wings brass say the rebuild is on. Rebuild is a tricky concept because the definition is open to interpretation.

Listening to the short Chelios interview (that got blown way out of proportion) he was asked about the Wings and gave a confused answer. Injuries, free-agents, may be being bad for 3-4 years getting top picks (?). There was nothing very clear in his response.

Mickey said last game about the need to upgrade D, that may be the 1 obvious move we can imagine will be done. A trade would be great instead of an UFA.

Is there any doubt Tatar is re-signed?

Just my opinion but I'm not as interested watching older players. There are exceptions like Thornton, Z, etc. but for NHL hockey 30 years old is an older player. Interesting we see Doan, Jagr, Iginla, even Hossa and other aging guys really falling off this season. The game has been getting consistently younger and I think all teams underestimate how naturally a prospect can slot in and start making contributions. I mean the Wings truly believed Ott and Miller were better than Nosek or Jurco? I'd be more satisfied with Russo, Nosek, and Bertuzzi on the team next year than any FA signing. I'd be way happier seeing an authentic rebuild, letting ourselves lose with mostly prospects than watching Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, Nyquist, Nielsen, etc. Too bad we're so entrenched with this load of ****** contracts. :shakehead

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Wait, so you're telling me we can get Kyle Quincey AND keep our first round pick?!

JK, sign anyone who could be traded for draft picks later.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Thinking like Holland:

you sign AA, then trade him to Vegas for a defenseman off the draft list, which you also throw in that Vegas, in return has to take No-Goal in the expansion draft and leave Helm and Abby alone.

In this conspiracy theory you can interchange either AA or Mantha.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Thinking like Holland:

you sign AA, then trade him to Vegas for a defenseman off the draft list, which you also throw in that Vegas, in return has to take No-Goal in the expansion draft and leave Helm and Abby alone.

In this conspiracy theory you can interchange either AA or Mantha.

Can you imagine if Vegas really really wants Abby or helm?

Holland: here. I'll give you hronek shvechnikov and mrazek if you don't take helm

Vegas: mmmmm nah

Holland: ok ok I didn't wanna do this. But how about zetterberg?

Vegas: nope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad