Off season news & stuff

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In a recent interview Custance gave, he suggested Holland and Blashill are (legitimately) pushing to make the playoffs because they are fighting for their job.

Makes sense if you think about it. Both in the last year of their deal.

And dangerous for the future of the franchise. How desperate of a move would Holland be willing to do to increase the odds of making the playoffs and saving his job?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
And dangerous for the future of the franchise. How desperate of a move would Holland be willing to do to increase the odds of making the playoffs and saving his job?

Especially when he could step down and have a new job in 30 seconds. He's going to tarnish his legacy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Serious question though...

Has there been a GM that was around for the entire life cycle of a re-build?

Initiating an aggressive re-build is what this franchise needs, but from Holland's perspective, he probably thinks it's essentially like signing his resignation letter.

This is why the front office needs to be the one making the call for him, in my opinion.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Especially when he could step down and have a new job in 30 seconds. He's going to tarnish his legacy.

He probably already has, at least among fans who will be old enough to remember this slide from contender to zombie mediocrity. I think I'm one of the more ambivalent judges of Holland, but I don't understand defending his moves from the past few years or trying to disguise them as some sort of masterplan.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Serious question though...

Has there been a GM that was around for the entire life cycle of a re-build?

Initiating an aggressive re-build is what this franchise needs, but from Holland's perspective, he probably thinks it's essentially like signing his resignation letter.

This is why the front office needs to be the one making the call for him, in my opinion.

George Mcphee joined the Caps in 97, went to the finals, blew up the team 5 years later, drafted Ovi, Backstrom and Green, and stuck around until 2014.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

There is no reason to do something crazy to be decent this year, just to sacrifice the next 5 years in order to "save his job"

He can sign a new 5 year contract and still be immediately fired if Detroit turns into a last place team

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I mean a lot of guessing here. Id prefer some sort of different math here, but overall i like the theory. Feel i could design a better set of math for the analysis.

I am very visual so I like how data is presented. I do this at work. I guy named Tufte wrote 4-5 good books on how to present data. If you do an analysis,please let me see the data. Maybe I can come up with a graph.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
In a recent interview Custance gave, he suggested Holland and Blashill are (legitimately) pushing to make the playoffs because they are fighting for their job.

Makes sense if you think about it. Both in the last year of their deal.

If they're fighting for their jobs over this, it's their own fault. They should know better than to go into any executive meeting with the players they've accumulated over the past few years and suggest they can still fight for a playoff spot. If they're fighting for their jobs now it's because they doubled down on dubious promises they made during the past half decade.

Everyone of us who "saw this coming" did so because we used past managerial actions as a barometer. And yet the management of this team was not beholden to any one avenue of resurrecting this team. They could've changed course 3-8 years ago. But they held true to investing in band-aids and overestimating their free market clout.

There were lessons to be learned that weren't. In the end, it might turn out that as the scrutiny from fans was gaining momentum, the scrutiny was already present from within.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"How the mighty have fallen" The Score's take on the current state of the Wings.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1...n-the-dark-age-of-red-wings-hockey-is-upon-us

Not to dismiss the whole article due to one point, but how is likely TDL fodder Mike Green a 2020 core piece?

I also thought this line was silly
It's still early in his career I think. He has the speed, he has the right tools, but it's still a little worrying to see that happen to him at such a young age."
I mean I get the concern but his youth is the driving force as to why it's not the end of the world. Young guys struggle sometimes.

Other than that, keep the articles disparaging Kenny and showing them what fans think about his plan coming.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not to dismiss the whole article due to one point, but how is likely TDL fodder Mike Green a 2020 core piece?

I also thought this line was silly

I mean I get the concern but his youth is the driving force as to why it's not the end of the world. Young guys struggle sometimes.

Other than that, keep the articles disparaging Kenny and showing them what fans think about his plan coming.

I'm not sure why he included Green in defensive core of 2020 but makes the whole point it doesn't inspire confidence. A few sentences later it quotes Luszczyszyn saying Green probably isn't a core piece.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I'm not sure why he included Green in defensive core of 2020 but makes the whole point it doesn't inspire confidence. A few sentences later it quotes Luszczyszyn saying Green probably isn't a core piece.

Not sure why he included DDK either. Could have just as easily not picked any D as he did with G.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I think its because they took one look at the dcore and went well crap, its all crap, but we have to pick somebody, so mike green it is

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
There's no guarantee that green is dealt. I'd say it's no worse than 50/50 odds that green is as likely to be re-signed as he is to be traded. For Holland to trade Green it's a complete admission that the team is a bottom feeder and not some playoff contender Holland sees this team as. I don't believe Holland is willing to give up that delusion.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There's no guarantee that green is dealt. I'd say it's no worse than 50/50 odds that green is as likely to be re-signed as he is to be traded. For Holland to trade Green it's a complete admission that the team is a bottom feeder and not some playoff contender Holland sees this team as. I don't believe Holland is willing to give up that delusion.
If we're way out of the playoffs I can't see him holding on to Green. Whether he'd try to re-sign him in the offseason is 50/50 though (likely depends on how much VS/Hronek/Hicketts/Cholo push for jobs).

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
He probably already has, at least among fans who will be old enough to remember this slide from contender to zombie mediocrity. I think I'm one of the more ambivalent judges of Holland, but I don't understand defending his moves from the past few years or trying to disguise them as some sort of masterplan.

The nails were being hammered in the coffin in '10, '11, '12, etc. The last few years have seen a reemergence of planning and forward thinking in comparison.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The nails were being hammered in the coffin in '10, '11, '12, etc. The last few years have seen a reemergence of planning and forward thinking in comparison.

I don't know if I see a real change in Holland's approach. He sold last year when the Wings were all but eliminated, but that was the sort of move that I think any competent GM should be making.

When this summer hit, he immediately started buying again, though. He hasn't been able to ease the roster or cap congestion. He still talks solely about making the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

All depends on where we are sitting in the standings in Feb/March. If we are even reasonably close to the #8 seed at the TDL, Green stays. If we are basically mathematically eliminated like last year, he goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad