Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
good i like it, now R.A can have someone closer to his age he can relate a little more to than the young guys... thats important

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
No hatred. It's just the way the game should be played and the character and value system of today's players. You can accept it, I won't.

This is the way the game should be played:
. When he got to the final day of the season, a doubleheader at Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Williams was hitting .3996, which rounded off to .400. Red Sox manager Joe Cronin gave Williams the option to play that day. Williams said if he couldn't hit .400 from the beginning to the end of a season, he didn't deserve it.

"I asked him about that final day,'' Gwynn said, "and he said, 'Hell yeah was I going to play.'''

Williams went 4-for-5 in the first game, the Red Sox overcame an 11-3 deficit to beat the A's, 12-11, and Williams raised his average to .404. He insisted on playing the second game, and he went 2-for-3 to finish the season at .406. In the doubleheader, with all the pressure of .400, he went 6-for-8. He was the first player to hit .400 since Bill Terry in 1930, and the first American Leaguer since Harry Heilmann in 1923.

... and the last.

Reyes was heading for free agency and while the game he mostly skipped was not crucial, it is a story of selfishness and a lack of class. Teddy ballgame's attitude is about 5000% higher than Reyes's.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wtf.

Do you mean like two old grandfathers in an oldage home?

no I mean it could be important for team bonding....... i'm sure R.A and his wife would rather go out to dinner with someone closer to his age instead of Brett Lawrie and his half naked girlfriend lmao!

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
First sentence is true. Second, not so sure. Guy hasn't hit worth a darn the past few years.

Won't matter.

He'll be lucky to get 50AB's. We'll have to come down with multiple injuries for him to see any action. He'll be useful in sacrifice situations, and as a defensive replacement if we're out of a ball game etc.

Bonifacio, Davis, Thole/Blanco will all come off the bench before him.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
derosa was a decent hitter way back when
might he spot lind as rh dh occassionally?

Don't think theres a chance in that. Davis, Bonifacio even Thole/Blanco would be better options.

Even if we've got a ton of injuries, Gose, Sierra and Cooper are all better options as callups.

DeRosa isn't as good defensively or with the bat than Vizquel. AA's betting hes a hell of alot better in the clubhouse tho.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Jays sign sign INF Mark DeRosa to 1-year, $750K deal with $750K club option for 2014.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/293764473800511489

Meh, I don't like it. I feel like Jays have tried to this type of move too many times where they get some scrub player for his veteran presence and it just doesn't work (see: Kevin Millar and Vizquel).

It would have been nice to get a bit of a better infielder who could hit some lefties and play SS/3B well. DeRosa doesn't really play SS.

They also designate Sam Dyson.

"Best stuff in the organization" :laugh:

A totally laughable comment from back when Farrell said it and it looks even worse now. He was a completely pointless and baffling call-up and this DFA proves that. I don't think he will get claimed (if he does, it will only be because he has options left) because he has like no upside. He is not a backend reliever, not a starter, struggles to stay healthy... so yeah. He never should been added to the 40 man roster though.

It surprises me that DeRosa didn't get a minor league deal though because at least that way, Jays could add him on the 40 man during spring or when spring ends and not have to DFA Dyson because at least 3 spots will be opened with Hutch/Drabek/Perez hitting 60 day DL (and likely McGowan too).

I'd have DFA'd McGowan if it were me. Total waste of a spot IMO.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Don't think theres a chance in that. Davis, Bonifacio even Thole/Blanco would be better options.

Even if we've got a ton of injuries, Gose, Sierra and Cooper are all better options as callups.

DeRosa isn't as good defensively or with the bat than Vizquel. AA's betting hes a hell of alot better in the clubhouse tho.

the omar visquel replacement

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
not that he's an accredited media source, but Arencibia says on his twitter feed that the 1st-to-3rd pickoff move will now be called a balk.

Good. It was horsecrap that was allowed when basically any other similar fakeout move wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad