Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Edition III: Spring Training Madness (Spring Training is over. Season starts on Thursday, Mar 30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Weird decision for the last roster spot. It was surprising when they added Lukes to the 40 man to start the offseason after seemingly trying everyone from Buffalo except him last year. Now they go out and add 2 lefty outfielders, a Lefty DH/1B and will have trouble finding Biggio spots already as there's almost too many lefties and they decide to use the last spot on another lefty outfielder. It's not the worst thing ever that Lopez will be playing everyday in Buffalo instead of spot duty here and there, but his ceiling is more of a bench player anyway and it felt like he was about to get to that point so you're not really too upset if he's not playing everyday like you'd be for a Barger or Orelvis for example.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I doubt it was done on purpose but of our stable of current starting pitchers we're losing exactly 1 of them each year which is a random coincidence if not done on purpose.

Ryu - 1 year remaining
Kikuchi - 2 years remaining
Bassitt - 3 years remaining
Gausman - 4 years remaining
Manoah - 5 years remaining
Berrios - 6 years remaining
Tiedemann - 7 years remaining(assuming he pitches at some point this year and then starts the year on the team next year)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Weird decision for the last roster spot. It was surprising when they added Lukes to the 40 man to start the offseason after seemingly trying everyone from Buffalo except him last year. Now they go out and add 2 lefty outfielders, a Lefty DH/1B and will have trouble finding Biggio spots already as there's almost too many lefties and they decide to use the last spot on another lefty outfielder. It's not the worst thing ever that Lopez will be playing everyday in Buffalo instead of spot duty here and there, but his ceiling is more of a bench player anyway and it felt like he was about to get to that point so you're not really too upset if he's not playing everyday like you'd be for a Barger or Orelvis for example.

Part of it may be they want to see what they have in him. He is 28. If he sucks, then he is probably one of the first guys they would take off of the 40 man if they needed a spot for someone else. Lopez, at 24, is probably too young to really make you want to do that if he sucked.

Of course on top of the fact that Lukes probably won't be used too much and even if Lopez only tops out as a bench guy, they'd want him to be more of a Biggio than a 5th+ outfielder like Lukes will be.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

22. The Blue Jays will win the AL pennant​

The Blue Jays have been both a very good team the last two years but also a bit disappointing, and less than the sum of the parts. They won 91 games and missed the postseason by one game in 2021, then won 92 games and got swept in the Wild Card Series. They didn't just get swept either. They blew an 8-1 lead in the season-ending defeat. Ouch.

This isn't just the year the Blue Jays break through and win a postseason round for the first time since 2016. I'm boldly predicting Toronto levels up and wins the AL pennant for the first time since 1993. They'll beat (who else?) the Astros in the ALCS -- the sub-bold prediction here is Houston goes to the ALCS for the seventh straight year -- and head to the World Series.

I love Toronto's 1-2-3 rotation punch (Chris Bassitt, Kevin Gausman, Alek Manoah) and the Jays smartly added some much-needed lefty bats (Brandon Belt, Daulton Varsho) to balance out their righty-heavy lineup. The Blue Jays are a much more complete team now, and I think they're uniquely built to pound the ball and smother opponents with quality starters in a short series.

It is not at all uncommon for talented clubs to experience postseason failure before finally breaking through. The Braves, Dodgers, and Nationals have all done it recent years. After back-to-back 90-win seasons and a disappointing if not embarrassing postseason exit in 2022, it's time for the Blue Jays to take that next step. This is the year it comes together and they make a deep run.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I completely forgot Ryu was on the team. I wonder if he can make any kind of a positive impact this season and what a realistic date of return for him would be?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I doubt it was done on purpose but of our stable of current starting pitchers we're losing exactly 1 of them each year which is a random coincidence if not done on purpose.

Ryu - 1 year remaining
Kikuchi - 2 years remaining
Bassitt - 3 years remaining
Gausman - 4 years remaining
Manoah - 5 years remaining
Berrios - 6 years remaining
Tiedemann - 7 years remaining(assuming he pitches at some point this year and then starts the year on the team next year)
At this point it’s too bad it’s Berrios with the 6 years remaining. Fingers crossed on him

I completely forgot Ryu was on the team. I wonder if he can make any kind of a positive impact this season and what a realistic date of return for him would be?
If we get good to great Ryu he’s a huge addition to the team. I believe the timeline is August give or take.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I'd love to see Ryu be apart of a run, I have very fond memories of that contract being signed and the first signs of a turn around happening here.

He did just turn 36 and his last healthy season was pretty lackluster so really anything is found money. I'd be thrilled, if he can be a 3.90-4.20 ERA guy without the blowup starts that comes in and replaces an injured/struggling Kikuchi or Berrios.

Reactions: trellaine201

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Part of it may be they want to see what they have in him. He is 28. If he sucks, then he is probably one of the first guys they would take off of the 40 man if they needed a spot for someone else. Lopez, at 24, is probably too young to really make you want to do that if he sucked.

Of course on top of the fact that Lukes probably won't be used too much and even if Lopez only tops out as a bench guy, they'd want him to be more of a Biggio than a 5th+ outfielder like Lukes will be.

In terms of flexibility and roster construction wouldn't Capra be a better fit then? Righty and can play infield positions (including SS). Doubt he needs anymore seasoning either but his profile and newfound plate discipline could be helpful coming off the bench.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I imagine they're just giving Lukes a cup of coffee while everyone is healthy and depth concerns about SS/3B aren't really necessary. Katoh only lasted 6 days before his first send down.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him swapped for Lopez the second an infielder gets a little banged up.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Berrios does have an opt out in 2026. I know people are kinda already done with him but it wouldn't take a whole lot to eclipse 2/49 at age 32.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's only the afternoon/evening (depending on where you are) but just an early heads up that since this thread is only about 40 posts from the 1k threshold and things get going tomorrow, I'm going to lock this up around or some time after midnight pacific and put up a fresh discussion thread to start the season as well as a GDT for the season opener. So if you have anything from here that you need to address before there's a break in continuity, now may be the time to do it.

And yes, I know that HF has relaxed the 1k thread limit policy since the site upgrade, but I still think it makes more sense to keep things a bit more clean and concise. Wading through an 80-page mega-thread if you've missed a few days can be daunting.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Nice to have baseball back!

sandlot-play.gif

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

bluejays_drip_cap.jpg

A bizarre new Toronto Blue Jays hat that featured mysterious goop dripping from the bird logo’s beak has sold out on the official MLB store, days after being roundly mocked online.

The officially licensed cap made its debut on the online store at the end of last week, priced at $64.99. By Wednesday, the item was completely sold out.

The hat was described as a “Blue Raspberry Ice Cream Drip Snapback,” seemingly identifying the mysterious liquid leaking from the logo’s beak. But users on social media had their own interpretations for the suggestive liquid.

Although the majority took to making lewd jokes, others poked fun at the designers or wondered what ice cream had to do with the Blue Jays. “No matter what the Nationals do this season, it won’t be as embarrassing as this hat,” one user wrote on Twitter.

Coloured red, white and blue, the hat also comes adorned with a patch from 2017 celebrating the team’s 40th season since being established in 1977.

According to MLB’s website, the cap was the most popular item selling in the hats category. Although some have praised the item for its looks, not entirely without irony, we’d wager most aren’t buying the hat for its esthetics.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

bluejays_drip_cap.jpg

A bizarre new Toronto Blue Jays hat that featured mysterious goop dripping from the bird logo’s beak has sold out on the official MLB store, days after being roundly mocked online.

The officially licensed cap made its debut on the online store at the end of last week, priced at $64.99. By Wednesday, the item was completely sold out.

The hat was described as a “Blue Raspberry Ice Cream Drip Snapback,” seemingly identifying the mysterious liquid leaking from the logo’s beak. But users on social media had their own interpretations for the suggestive liquid.

Although the majority took to making lewd jokes, others poked fun at the designers or wondered what ice cream had to do with the Blue Jays. “No matter what the Nationals do this season, it won’t be as embarrassing as this hat,” one user wrote on Twitter.

Coloured red, white and blue, the hat also comes adorned with a patch from 2017 celebrating the team’s 40th season since being established in 1977.

According to MLB’s website, the cap was the most popular item selling in the hats category. Although some have praised the item for its looks, not entirely without irony, we’d wager most aren’t buying the hat for its esthetics.
Honestly the most embarrassing thing about that hat is that it's a snapback

Reactions: hockeywiz542

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Berrios does have an opt out in 2026. I know people are kinda already done with him but it wouldn't take a whole lot to eclipse 2/49 at age 32.
Not that I disagree but if he doesn’t improve in that time he may very well have trouble finding that money

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not that I disagree but if he doesn’t improve in that time he may very well have trouble finding that money

I mean we have seen players (Ray and Gausman as examples) perform average to downright abysmal for a few years before straight dominating in their FA year and end up securing a big contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad