Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Edition III: Spring Training Madness (Spring Training is over. Season starts on Thursday, Mar 30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
After the Turner home run, Bassitt seems to have flipped the switch from throwing pitches to pitching.

A large part of the issues he had early were sequencing-based.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

McFly2544

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Burlington, ON
Count me in as someone who thinks Realmuto deserved to get tossed.

Kimbrel demands a new ball after wasting time, gets a new ball, then asks for a new ball a second time and Realmuto moves his glove after asking the ump for a ball.
My lip reading isn’t the greatest but seems like JT said i thought you were throwing it to him

Might just be the most ridiculous ejection I’ve ever seen

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My lip reading isn’t the greatest but seems like JT said i thought you were throwing it to him

Might just be the most ridiculous ejection I’ve ever seen

Wagner brought up a good point too. On the previous replacement ball the ump tossed it straight back to Kimbrel. So Realmuto put his glove out, didn't feel the ball, and figured it was going right back to the pitcher. Then he happened to pull his glove away right as the ump went to drop it in his glove.

Realistically there's no way he could've timed that the way it happened on purpose given that he never looked back to see where the ump was.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Wagner brought up a good point too. On the previous replacement ball the ump tossed it straight back to Kimbrel. So Realmuto put his glove out, didn't feel the ball, and figured it was going right back to the pitcher. Then he happened to pull his glove away right as the ump went to drop it in his glove.

Realistically there's no way he could've timed that the way it happened on purpose given that he never looked back to see where the ump was.
It wasn't blatant, but he still deserves to get tossed.

Call that a "Craig Kimbrel being a dick toss"

If you ask for a new baseball more than once, you had better be ready for it.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I've been thinking about how I think the AL East will finish and what a tough division.

The Yankees have a great rotation and a good offense with Judge but can their rotation stay healthy?

I really like the Rays team. They have excellent pitching but a few are injured still, Glasnow and Baz but their offense is weak.

Red Sox have some nice pieces but their rotation isn't good and they lack depth. I think they finish last in the division.

O's have some great young pieces but they didn't do much to improve their team in the offseason. Likely finish around .500.

It will be tough for the Jays to win the division but I think they will. I think the Yanks will finish worse than expected many due to their rotation not being healthy and Judge not having as good of a year. Their offense after Judge isn't that good.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Reactions: Zacman

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Anybody think they could look at claiming Ruf or Hiura off waivers for the last position player spot? Would be nice to have Lopez down in AAA ready for the first injury.

Hiura in particular is interesting due to his power but he strikes out a lot and had reverse splits last season… someone who hit lefties well would be best case scenario.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Jay Jackson signs a split contract to return (1.4 in the bigs). He's a guy that is arguably one injury away from the bigs and if he comes up, he may not go back down.

For Petes, Hiura is realistically a 1B only (absolutely terrible at every other position) and Ruf has the same issue. They are both bat first guys.

Otto has realistically made this team (as opposed to nearly backing into a spot like Lukes almost did last year) with the caveat that he mashes lefties, can play many positions, and carrying him doesn't automatically preclude calling up a Lukes if an OF goes down.

In terms of outside options, I'd rather look at a Pache (brings speed and D in the OF but needs help with the bat (24 years old)), than grab someone who can't play D at all.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jay Jackson signs a split contract to return (1.4 in the bigs). He's a guy that is arguably one injury away from the bigs and if he comes up, he may not go back down.

For Petes, Hiura is realistically a 1B only (absolutely terrible at every other position) and Ruf has the same issue. They are both bat first guys.

Otto has realistically made this team (as opposed to nearly backing into a spot like Lukes almost did last year) with the caveat that he mashes lefties, can play many positions, and carrying him doesn't automatically preclude calling up a Lukes if an OF goes down.

In terms of outside options, I'd rather look at a Pache (brings speed and D in the OF but needs help with the bat (24 years old)), than grab someone who can't play D at all.

Yeah, I think Otto has done more than enough to earn a chance, so at this point I'm ok just sticking with what they have.

I was excited when I saw Ruf was being DFAd because I know he mashes lefties to a crazy degree. I thought he would be fine to kind of fake it in LF, but then I looked at the numbers and... yikes. He absolutely can't. Pass.

Pache would be a cool addition as a reclamation project (he's still only 24) who could at least step in as a D-first fourth OF at some point, but I'm only interested if he can spend some time in the minors to open the season, and he's out of options.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Pache seems a bit redundant no? We already have enough speed/defense in the OF and saying he needs 'help with the bat' is quite the understatement.

That being said I agree with the general concept that we already have one full-time DH on the roster so no need for a second. Just keep Otto on the roster and roll with it imo

Reactions: Discoverer

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Pache is an interesting option, It'd be nice filling that niche that Chavez Young filled in the organization but the inability to send him down will probably sour any interest.

Pache fully gaining bust status is such a rough look for the A's. Forst is in an unwinnable situation and I really sympathize but his trades keep falling apart. The Olson one gets salvaged if Langeliers pans out but yeesh. Everyone clowned on the Murphy return and for good reason. The Chapman trade all hinges on Hoglund's arm holding up.

I guess they got a couple nice pieces for a broken Frankie Montas? idk

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pache seems a bit redundant no? We already have enough speed/defense in the OF and saying he needs 'help with the bat' is quite the understatement.

That being said I agree with the general concept that we already have one full-time DH on the roster so no need for a second. Just keep Otto on the roster and roll with it imo
Yeah, I can't see how he would make any sense. He's not good enough to start games, even against lefties, and none of the Jays OF needs a late-game defensive replacement. And he has the same sprint speed as Merrifield and Biggio while being a much worse baserunner, so even as a pinch-runner he's redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad