Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Edition III: Spring Training Madness (Spring Training is over. Season starts on Thursday, Mar 30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Figured we might as well roll over to a new thread now given that pitchers and catchers have reported as of today.

Other important dates:

Tue, Feb 21st - Position players report (for the Jays)
Sun, Feb 26th - Spring Training games begin
Tue Mar 7 - Wed Mar 17 - World Baseball Classic Prelim round
Mon, Mar 15- Thu, Mar 18 - WBC Quarterfinals in Tokyo and Miami
Fri, Mar 19- Sat, Mar 20 - WBC Semifinals in Miami
Sun, March 21 - WBC Championship Game in Miami
Tue, March 28 - Final day of Spring Training
Thu, March 30 - MLB Opening Day (Jays open the season in St. Louis)

Spring Training Broadcast Schedule (All games are 1pm ET/10am PT unless otherwise specified. Broadcasts are on SN Now and are also on SN regional channels unless otherwise specified.)
Sat, Feb 25 - @ PIT
Sun, Feb 26 - vs NYY
Tue, Feb 28 - vs DET
Thu, Mar 2 - vs PIT
Fri, Mar 3 - vs TB*
Sun, Mar 5 - vs PHI
Wed, Mar 8 - vs MIN
Thu, Mar 9 - vs ATL
Sat, Mar 11 - vs BAL
Mon, Mar 13 - vs BOS
Wed, Mar 15 - vs PIT
Fri, Mar 17 - vs PHI
Sat, Mar 18 - vs NYY**
Wed, Mar 22 - vs BAL
Fri, Mar 24 - vs PHI (6pm ET/3pm PT)
Sat, Mar 25 - vs DET (6pm ET/3pm PT)***
Mon, Mar 27 - vs PHI

*Sportsnet One
**Sportsnet Ontario, East, and Pacific (NOT West)
**Sportsnet 360

Sportsnet has indicated that they may add additional road games to the broadcast schedule at a later date.

World Baseball Classic Schedule & Info

Pools & Teams

Pool A (opening round games Mar 8-12 in Taichung, Taiwan): Chinese Taipei, Netherlands, Cuba, Italy, & Panama
Pool B (opening round games Mar 9-13 in Tokyo, Japan): Japan, South Korea, Australia, China, & Czechia
Pool C (opening round games Mar 11-15 in Phoenix, AZ): USA, Mexico, Columbia, Canada, Great Britain
Pool D (opening round games Mar 11-15 in Miami, FL): Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Israel, Nicaragua

Quarterfinals for Pools A & B are in Tokyo on March 15 & 16, QFs for C & D are in Miami on March 17 & 18. QF qualifiers are the top 2 teams in each pool, sorted as A1 vs B2, B1 vs A2, C1 vs D2 and D1 vs C2.

Semifinals are on March 19 & 20 in Miami pitting the two winners from the A/B side against the winners from the C/D side

The Championship game is March 21 in Miami

Blue Jays participants:
RP Jiorgeny Casimiri (Dunedin) - Netherlands
C Alejandro Kirk - Mexico
UT Otto Lopez - Canada
3B Damiano Palmegiani (Vancouver) - Canada
1B Spencer Horowitz (Buffalo) - Israel
SP Jose Berrios - Puerto Rico
RP Luis Quinones (New Hampshire) - Puerto Rico
RP Yimi Garcia - Dominican Republic
1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr - Dominican Republic

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm unreasonably excited to see how the renos turn out.
I'm pumped ... I think it will add some nice buzz at the 'dome

Even though I’m likely not going to bother entering those new social/group spaces, I’m happy with the refurbishment of the dome and am excited for the future phases as well. Since Shapiro came aboard the org has introduced the new dirt infield, new sound system, new outfield turf and blend, new lights, new video/ribbon boards, and now of course phase 1 of the new reno plan. Many people may have their fair criticisms of him, but I appreciate the impact he’s made on beautifying and transitioning the stadium into more of a ballpark.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Even though I’m likely not going to bother entering those new social/group spaces, I’m happy with the refurbishment of the dome and am excited for the future phases as well. Since Shapiro came aboard the org has introduced the new dirt infield, new sound system, new outfield turf and blend, new lights, new video/ribbon boards, and now of course phase 1 of the new reno plan. Many people may have their fair criticisms of him, but I appreciate the impact he’s made on beautifying and transitioning the stadium into more of a ballpark.
Not going to lie the outfield bleacher seats over looking the opposing bullpen have potential to be the best time in the entire place lol

Reactions: Zacman

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not going to lie the outfield bleacher seats over looking the opposing bullpen have potential to be the best time in the entire place lol

One of those cases where it looks like fun but for the price + having the catch bar right above you, may not be the best experience

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

Feels badman

EDIT: I just feel like it wasn't too much to ask to want another outfielder? I mean Barger might be nails but it still feels like we're like.. 2 injuries away from having to tell ourselves "Cavan Biggio is actually not that bad in right field" right?

Wynton Bernard coming into camp and crushing lefties would be really cool too, I guess he's a darkhorse for opening day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Feels badman

EDIT: I just feel like it wasn't too much to ask to want another outfielder? I mean Barger might be nails but it still feels like we're like.. 2 injuries away from having to tell ourselves "Cavan Biggio is actually not that bad in right field" right?

Wynton Bernard coming into camp and crushing lefties would be really cool too, I guess he's a darkhorse for opening day.
Varsho, Kiermeier, Springer are our starting 3

Merrifield, Espinal are 4-5. Otto Lopez is also ahead of Biggio.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

I just can't see Ohtani anywhere other than Queens. The Mets, who have seen multiple stars stolen by the Yankees throughout their existence were way too quiet when Judge hit FA. That should have been their golden opportunity to enact revenge. I think that's pretty clearly because they're going to give Ohtani just a ludicrous amount of money.
Varsho, Kiermeier, Springer are our starting 3

Merrifield, Espinal are 4-5. Otto Lopez is also ahead of Biggio.
Espinal hasn't played in the outfield since he was in New Hampshire. Even with Otto and Whit, I would still argue my 2 injuries away thing is accurate as he would be cycled into games as the 4th OF in the event he takes up that place on the depth chart.

Springer and Kiermaier could very easily get hurt at the same time. Then you're looking at Lopez-Varsho-Merrifield with Biggio on the bench? Not a big fan of that. It's not the end of the world, I would have just been a bit more comfortable with one of the LHP mashers we were talking about earlier in the offseason. Even without injuries they provided platoon advantages that Biggio just doesn't bring.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's been confirmed that Ben Wagner will be calling road games remotely. Believe that leaves the Jays as the only team remaining to do so coming out of the pandemic (the Orioles being another that did it last year). Pretty weak (and cheap) decision.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Feels badman

While I completely agree that not adding an OF seems like a waste, how many teams in baseball are in a better situation if they lose two OF?

Grossman really is a great fit, but he probably doesn't help much in an injury situation since he still sucks against righties. If they signed Grossman and then Springer and Kiermaier got hurt, they would still be better off with Merrifield-Varsho-Biggio against righties and Merrifield-Varsho-Grossman against lefties.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
While I completely agree that not adding an OF seems like a waste, how many teams in baseball are in a better situation if they lose two OF?

Grossman really is a great fit, but he probably doesn't help much in an injury situation since he still sucks against righties. If they signed Grossman and then Springer and Kiermaier got hurt, they would still be better off with Merrifield-Varsho-Biggio against righties and Merrifield-Varsho-Grossman against lefties.

Even with everyone healthy, we're a better team with a Grossman-Varsho-Springer outfield against lefties than Varsho-KK-Springer. I know KK wants to play every day, but that's just not realistic. And we'd be lucky to see 120 games out of Springer in the OF, so there's plenty of pt for Merrifield regardless.

And it'd even be quite the luxury to have Grossman available as a pinch-hitter against lefty relievers.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Even with everyone healthy, we're a better team with a Grossman-Varsho-Springer outfield against lefties than Varsho-KK-Springer. I know KK wants to play every day, but that's just not realistic. And we'd be lucky to see 120 games out of Springer in the OF, so there's plenty of pt for Merrifield regardless.

And it'd even be quite the luxury to have Grossman available as a pinch-hitter against lefty relievers.
Definitely, and that's why he's such a perfect fit. I just don't see him as a great injury replacement. As the roster stands now, he would platoon with Kiermaier/Varsho. If a couple OF got injured, he would platoon with Biggio. It's still a valuable piece that they could really use, but he should still only play against lefties.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Definitely, and that's why he's such a perfect fit. I just don't see him as a great injury replacement. As the roster stands now, he would platoon with Kiermaier/Varsho. If a couple OF got injured, he would platoon with Biggio. It's still a valuable piece that they could really use, but he should still only play against lefties.
I'll still contend that a lot of Grossman's appeal is as of 2021 was still serviceable against right handers and had a track record of it too. There's a good to fair chance that Grossman becomes the better option for both sides of the plate if he sees a resurgence this year.

Reactions: Discoverer

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Don’t forget what they did for the spring training facilities.

Reactions: Ale Brew

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Well that sucks because that’s a steal. But I bet he went there due to playing time.

Almost certainly. Fangraphs right now has him projected as their starting LF vs RHP (I can't seem to get the roster resource to switch to the LHP lineup for some reason). He would've been a strict 4th OF with the Jays because it's unlikely they would be platooning him with any of Varsho (who hits RHP better than LHP), Kiermeier (who is so much better defensively that it doesn't really matter if he's marginally better vs RHP than LHP), or Springer (lol, they're not platooning Springer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad