Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition II - Winter Meeting Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I get the Jays criticism but i dont entirely agree. But if they are comparing WAR out and WAR in to give the Jays a C, i dont know how the Rays get a C+, they lost 6 WAR and replaced it with 1.4 WAR.

Rangers also get a C+ for adding a #1, #3, #4 and #5 to their rotation which was their biggest weakness. That is an A for me.

Seattle did ok but that is very mediocre off-season imo. I like the Cubs spending but they spent to spin wheels and finish 3rd again. Angels also improved but for a team with 2 MVPs in that market, for the 2nd straight offseason they added floor players not ceiling. Got off to a great start but their off-season is incomplete in my eyes.
This is what you get when A.I. starts writing baseball articles instead of people with knowledge.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I get the Jays criticism but i dont entirely agree. But if they are comparing WAR out and WAR in to give the Jays a C, i dont know how the Rays get a C+, they lost 6 WAR and replaced it with 1.4 WAR.

Rangers also get a C+ for adding a #1, #3, #4 and #5 to their rotation which was their biggest weakness. That is an A for me.

Seattle did ok but that is very mediocre off-season imo. I like the Cubs spending but they spent to spin wheels and finish 3rd again. Angels also improved but for a team with 2 MVPs in that market, for the 2nd straight offseason they added floor players not ceiling. Got off to a great start but their off-season is incomplete in my eyes.
I get that there are a lot of people who haven't liked the offseason, and I think there are reasonable concerns. But this guy seems to be basically arguing that they should have just run the whole thing back and tried again. Regardless of how you feel about the offseason, I think that's a much worse option.

I would also argue that basing your analysis on the players' 2022 WAR is pretty dumb.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Today is official pitcher and catcher report day.

It wouldn't shock me if a pitcher ends up on the IL today.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

No owner in sports should ever be granted permission to move his team. If he can't make it work in Oakland (and Oakland has to be making money because they don't use their revenue sharing on payroll), then he should have to sell (with the possibility that a new owner can move to Las Vegas).

This approach just breeds the Jeffrey Loria approach to the Expos that literally ran the team out of town.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Lol the Yankees get an A- for re-signing Judge

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Lol the Yankees get an A- for re-signing Judge
The Yankees are an interesting case.

On paper, they are definitely the favorites to win the division. They have the pitching, they replaced Gallo with a healthy Bader, and are returning a quality infield.

On the other hand, at some point, their age will catch up. Their infield is old (outside of Torres and Cabrera). While Judge could be the best player in baseball again, he's a 6'8 monster, which means that he has the same knee risk as any other heavier player.

Their pitching staff will benefit from not facing Toronto as much, but their hitters will play more games in pitcher's parks.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Yankees are an interesting case.

On paper, they are definitely the favorites to win the division. They have the pitching, they replaced Gallo with a healthy Bader, and are returning a quality infield.

On the other hand, at some point, their age will catch up. Their infield is old (outside of Torres and Cabrera). While Judge could be the best player in baseball again, he's a 6'8 monster, which means that he has the same knee risk as any other heavier player.

Their pitching staff will benefit from not facing Toronto as much, but their hitters will play more games in pitcher's parks.

For all the concerns about the health of the Jays OF, it doesn't even come close to the injury risk on the Yankees roster, top to bottom. Stanton, Donaldson, Hicks, Bader, Rodon, Severino... even Judge. And Montas is already out most of the year. There's big upside on that roster, but between age and injury history, there's a ton of risk.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So the move isn't a balk, he needs to be finished the move before the timer hits zero. He will definitely get called for a balk or two on it early on though. Umpires are going to be figuring it out too.
The move is a balk because he doesn't come to a complete stop.

It's one of the least consistently called rules and has always driven me nuts. Nearly every funky delivery contains a balk somewhere.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The move is a balk because he doesn't come to a complete stop.

It's one of the least consistently called rules and has always driven me nuts. Nearly every funky delivery contains a balk somewhere.
The move is fine if he comes to a complete pause at the end of the toe tap. Last year to varying degrees he didn't have a pause at the end of the toe tap. He doesn't have to change much in the end, just be slightly more deliberate in his set, should be able to keep the toe tap.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Seeing the reason teams avoid arb playing out with Burnes now lol he is 100% out the door as soon as he can. He said they essentially blamed him for them missing the playoffs. Bold strategy. Blame your Ace for a dogshit offense!

Reactions: Kurtz

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Each pitchers delivery times

Screenshot (604).png

- Berrios is already close to the new pace so it most likely wont be a huge issue for him.
- Manoah is the pitcher that will have to change his pace the most as he was the one with the slowest delivery times.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
A lot of the moves we've made this off-season fall into the intangible category - we now have a more focused, serious roster with experience and leadership. That won't be reflected in simple war in/out. And we modified our ballpark to benefit several of our key players, which won't show in those calculations either.

Now just need to add Grossman.

Reactions: canucksfan and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad