Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition II - Winter Meeting Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Best of 5 meaning 5 pitches/swings? Are the teams switching after every swing? Are we doing this international hockey shootout style? Is Vladdy our TJ Oshie?
Good questions.

5 pitches and swings. Teams only switch after the 5 swings are taken.

This is definitely a vladdy is our tj oshie type thing - but just for shits and giggles one out of the five swings has to be taken by a relief pitcher.

Don't question the rules it is what it is :popcorn:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The new base's vs old base's

Screenshot (593).png

Reactions: red devil

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
In regards to standings, Red Sox likely finish last with the O's finishing fourth. The O's have some good young pieces but I felt they didn't do enough to add to their roster.

Rays have great pitching but their lineup is on the weaker side. I think they are a slight notch below the Yanks and Jays.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Daulton Varsho, Blue Jays

Key stat: 11 home runs over final 38 games of the 2022 season

So far, Varsho has been notable mostly for his ability to catch and play in the outfield, as well as his excellent speed. But 2023 may be the year we see a breakout campaign from him at the plate with his new team, the Blue Jays. Toronto wanted a left-handed bat to add to a heavily right-handed lineup, and traded Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and top catching prospect Gabriel Moreno to the D-backs in exchange for Varsho. The Jays may have swung that deal at just the right time.
That’s because Varsho ended last season with a pretty impressive show of power, hitting 11 of his 27 homers on the year over the final 38 games, and he stands to be one of the greatest beneficiaries of the new infield shift rules. Varsho pulled 50.9 percent of his batted balls in play last season. Of the 225 hitters who had at least 250 balls in play in 2022, Varsho ranked second only to Albert Pujols in that category.
Beginning with the upcoming season, teams must have at least four players on the infield, with a minimum of two on either side of second base. Each infielder must have his feet on the infield dirt -- no more “Ted Williams shift” or any other shift involving infielders positioning themselves in the outfield. Varsho should definitely benefit from these new shift restrictions and continue to progress as an offensive threat.
-- Manny Randhawa

1) Will the transformed outfield be better?
In 2022, the Jays had a big-hitting outfield of George Springer, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and Teoscar Hernández -- three men who hit a ton of balls into and over the outfield but, when they visited the same area with their gloves, had a tendency to let nearly as many balls drop. The Jays made the bet this offseason that they had enough hitting, thank you, and switched to upgrading the outfield defense, trading Gurriel to Arizona, trading Hernández to Seattle, moving Springer to right and bringing in defensive whiz Kevin Kiermaier and the ever-fascinating Daulton Varsho. The plan makes sense, especially if Varsho can keep hitting in addition to his defense, but are we sure they’re not going to miss the offense Gurriel and Hernández have provided? There’s suddenly a lot less depth out there, too. The Jays are top-heavy with stars, but they better stay healthy.

2) Will there be more fire in the belly?
The Blue Jays made the playoffs last year, and jeez, a team with as much talent as they possess better have. But the vibes just felt off for the Jays a little bit, didn’t they? They got off to a slow-ish start, the Yankees pulled away from them a lot earlier than anyone could have thought, Vladimir Guerrero Jr.wasn’t quite what he was in 2021, the team just never quite went on the run we all expected. Again, they still made the playoffs, and they’re still loaded with talent. But now is supposed to be the time the Blue Jays are flooring it -- this is their prime. Will the team play like it knows it? Will there be more urgency than in 2022?

PREDICTIONS
Blue Jays: 95-67

Yankees: 90-72
Orioles: 87-75
Rays: 82-80
Red Sox: 68-94

Seriously, any team other than the Red Sox could win this division, and your prediction as to who will do so may just depend on your particular whims and preconceived notions. Do you think Judge will stay healthy enough to carry that Yankees offense? Do you think the Orioles can keep their surge going? Do you think the Rays are stepping forward or going backward? (I’m probably too low on the Rays, now that I look at it.) I tend to think the Blue Jays are due for a consolidation year when everything finally goes right for them all at once. But your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

A lot less in depth in the outfield doesn’t make much sense. There’s three players that can play CF. Injuries to Springer and KK are a valid concern. Jays also have Whit, Biggio, and likely another fielder they sign. Last yea the depth was Zimmer and Bradley.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
A lot less in depth in the outfield doesn’t make much sense. There’s three players that can play CF. Injuries to Springer and KK are a valid concern. Jays also have Whit, Biggio, and likely another fielder they sign. Last yea the depth was Zimmer and Bradley.
Tapia, Zimmer, and Bradley. The primary starting outfielders were Springer, Hernandez, and Gurriel.

EDIT: For some stupid reason, I originally typed Zimmerman instead of Zimmer. Silly me.

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
How is Grossman not a Jay yet? Perfect lefty masher.
it's bewildering. The fit is so crisp for both sides, Grossman is probably holding out for more guaranteed playing time but Robbie, brother, this outfield has Springer and Kiermaier. You're going to get your PAs.

Maybe he's one of those weirdos who doesn't like Canada or the Jays are ride or die with giving the AAA prospects the extra bench spots.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They might just be waiting for the day they can put guys on the 60 day IL to open up a roster spot. Official report date for pitchers and catchers for Toronto is tomorrow, though most are already there. No team has put anyone on the 60 day IL yet so i would assume they’re not allowed to yet

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

The IL only opens up on official report date, like Canada4Gold mentioned

Thanks, I was trying to find out if there was an official date.

It makes sense. As much as I wouldn't care if they DFA'd Trent Thornton or something to make room for Grossman, there's not much reason to do that when you can just wait a bit and not lose anyone.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Thanks, I was trying to find out if there was an official date.

It makes sense. As much as I wouldn't care if they DFA'd Trent Thornton or something to make room for Grossman, there's not much reason to do that when you can just wait a bit and not lose anyone.
60 day IL is from opening day as well

Both Ryu and Green are likely candidates

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Wonder if anyone tries to rekindle that Miguel Sano magic. Might catch on as a PH somewhere but my guy cannot play the field.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Per Joel Sherman, 60 day IL opens today (wasn't sure if it was based on first day that any team officially has pitchers and catchers report or the first day that the team wanting to use it reports).

Also, the Jays are only eligible to place one guy on the 60 day IL (until they fill the 40 man slot).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Per Joel Sherman, 60 day IL opens today (wasn't sure if it was based on first day that any team officially has pitchers and catchers report or the first day that the team wanting to use it reports).

Also, the Jays are only eligible to place one guy on the 60 day IL (until they fill the 40 man slot).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Also of note is that with the balanced schedule, Gerrit Cole should actually get better and regain Cy Young form, since Toronto and Boston are his toughest opponents.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Toronto Blue Jays

Additions: RHP Chris Bassitt, OF Daulton Varsho, RHP Erik Swanson, OF Kevin Kiermaier, 1B Brandon Belt, RHP Zach Thompson

Departures: OF Teoscar Hernandez, C Gabriel Moreno, RHP Ross Stripling, OF Lourdes Gurriel Jr., OF Raimel Tapia, RHP David Phelps

I'm not a huge fan of this offseason. In raw WAR totals from 2022, the Blue Jays upgraded from 9.9 to 11.0 -- or about one win. But that undersells Moreno's long-term value, so it mostly feels like the Jays are just kind of spinning their wheels here.

I also have some concerns about the new players. Over the past two seasons, Bassitt had a 2.74 ERA at home pitching in good pitcher's parks with the A's and Mets and 3.85 on the road. Now he moves to a tougher division in a tough park for pitchers. Varsho struggled against left-handed pitchers in 2022, so he has to show he's more than a platoon bat. Kiermaier is coming off labrum surgery, while Belt is coming off the worst season of his career and will be 35, so those are two bets on older players. It could all work and push the Jays to a division title: Varsho and Kiermaier are both plus defenders and Belt was terrific as recently as 2021 (.274/.378/.597). I know they had the catching depth, but the best long-term option might have been to keep Moreno, let Alejandro Kirk serve as a DH and ride out Hernandez's final season.

Grade: C

I get the Jays criticism but i dont entirely agree. But if they are comparing WAR out and WAR in to give the Jays a C, i dont know how the Rays get a C+, they lost 6 WAR and replaced it with 1.4 WAR.

Rangers also get a C+ for adding a #1, #3, #4 and #5 to their rotation which was their biggest weakness. That is an A for me.

Seattle did ok but that is very mediocre off-season imo. I like the Cubs spending but they spent to spin wheels and finish 3rd again. Angels also improved but for a team with 2 MVPs in that market, for the 2nd straight offseason they added floor players not ceiling. Got off to a great start but their off-season is incomplete in my eyes.

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Reactions: phillipmike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad