Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I say trade Donaldson and cash in. We desperately need to restock our system while also still trimming our payroll cause we all know Rogers won't dish $160-200M to field a championship team.

Well if the Jays play their cards right they could still be a competitive team even without Donaldson. The Jays will have some good pitching prospects coming up, so hopefully a combination of those guys can sustain the rotation after Happ, Estrada and Liriano move on. Hopefully some of them can improve the bullpen beside Osuna and Biagini as well (on top of hopefully those two maintaining their play).

Then at the positional spots you have Pentecost and McGuire as potential catchers going forward, Tellez at first base, Travis at 2nd, Urena at SS, Gurrerro Jr. at 3B, Pompey, Alford, Gurriel, Ramirez, etc. in OF.

Don't forget, the Jays would have a ton of cash and some guys who may come out of nowhere as well. Not to mention the haul of prospects the Jays would get by trading guys like Donaldson, nor a handful of good prospects in the lower minors (i.e. Bichette and Woodman). It may be difficult, and a little bit optimistic, but the Jays could still be a competitive team, even if they don't make the playoffs every year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

more starting depth I guess? He has mostly been a starter his entire career, and was good for half a season of starts back in 2014. Did some relief and some starting last year in the minors.

Nice solid 8.3 BB/9 in a small 4 game sample back in 2015 wow :laugh:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
score app tells me the jays are unwilling to offer Bautista more than $17.2 if you can get him for that for 1 or 2 years I would take him back but I would rather move on

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
score app tells me the jays are unwilling to offer Bautista more than $17.2 if you can get him for that for 1 or 2 years I would take him back but I would rather move on

Same - but not sure where you play him? I don't want see him the field again

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, Rowdy's gonna be really good.

I don't think scouts' concerns should be ignored by any means, but his stats match (or, in many cases, far exceed) the best of the best.

Honestly I'm not even sure what the scouts' concerns are. They have a hard time explaining why they don't like him.

And this fly ball distance metric (instead of HR rate) puts to rest the latest criticism of him - the short porch in his home RF last year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Honestly I'm not even sure what the scouts' concerns are. They have a hard time explaining why they don't like him.

And this fly ball distance metric (instead of HR rate) puts to rest the latest criticism of him - the short porch in his home RF last year.

It's pretty comical.

Regardless, I don't mind having a good prospects fly under the radar in the minors ... Let Tellez do his thing, and then when he's recalled with the Jays.. Well it'll get really Rowdy around here.

;)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

The major problem with scouting is that different scouts are looking for different things and they generally form their opinions based on extremely limited viewings. Two scouts may see things completely differently, or see a player at different times, and even if they see them the same way at the same time, one scout may be concerned about what he sees and the other thinks it's not a concern or that it's easily fixable.

Just looking at Rowdy's reports on mlb.com and Baseball Prospectus shows some of the problems with scouting:

MLB.COM: "The left-handed hitter's swing is compact and explosive"
BP: "The swing is long with some bat wrap and can be stiff and overly mechanical"

MLB.COM: "has the strength and barrel control to drive the ball out of the park the other way"
BP:"The pop is all pull-side"

I mean... these are two reports about the same damn hitter!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's pretty comical.

Regardless, I don't mind having a good prospects fly under the radar in the minors ... Let Tellez do his thing, and then when he's recalled with the Jays.. Well it'll get really Rowdy around here.

;)

Out.

Get Out.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey, what's your opinion on the House acquisition?

house-md-m-d-hugh-laurie-8.gif

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario

I got this answer one time in a Baseball chat about Rowdy and perhaps being underrated:

"Tellez runs like a refrigerator and isn't exactly a physical specimen, but the guy can hit. I like him but I guess some knock his athleticism and inability to play anywhere other than 1B. All he does is hit at every level. There isn't a bunch of big hitting 1B hanging out in the minor leagues right now."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I got this answer one time in a Baseball chat about Rowdy and perhaps being underrated:

"Tellez runs like a refrigerator and isn't exactly a physical specimen, but the guy can hit. I like him but I guess some knock his athleticism and inability to play anywhere other than 1B. All he does is hit at every level. There isn't a bunch of big hitting 1B hanging out in the minor leagues right now."

Yeah, you hear the old "not athletic enough to play elsewhere so if the bat doesn't work out he won't make it" all the time, and it's actually a perfectly reasonable response if you're comparing Rowdy to, say someone like Alford. Alford plays a solid CF and can run, so he can find a role even if the bat doesn't translate.

But it doesn't explain why he's ranked as the ~10th best 1B prospect, since the same thing applies to his competition as well and he's had hands-down the most impressive two-season run of any of them.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
David Cooper is a great Jays example of an unathletic 1B type with very good peripheral stats throughout the minors.

Acekicker123

Dec 31, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario
David Cooper is a great Jays example of an unathletic 1B type with very good peripheral stats throughout the minors.

Cooper's career started out nicely at the low levels but then he put up a 104 WRC+ in AA at age 22 and then a 110 WRC+ in AA at age 23.

Tellez just put up a 152 WRC+ in AA at age 21.

Obviously we all hope he has a much higher upside than Cooper.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Cooper was a polished undersized college 1B who never had the raw power upside of Tellez, and never hit as well as Tellez.

And even then, Cooper's career was derailed by injuries - there was no real reason he couldn't have continued being the league average bat he was in the 74gms he managed to play before career ending injury.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Cooper had wRC+ of 104 and 110 in his two seasons at AA, and those came at 22 and 23 years old.

Rowdy, at 21, had a 152.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad