Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
David Cooper is a great Jays example of an unathletic 1B type with very good peripheral stats throughout the minors.

That's crazy talk and you know it, Woodrow.

Honestly though, I can't remember the last Blue Jays prospect who had a wOBA above .400 at Double-A at 21.

Snider never did it. Thames was a beast, but he was 23 and fell short at .394. Hill and Rios killed that level too, but he were both 22. Adam Lind got it up to .397, but was 23 and struck out 23% of the time. d'Arnaud might be he closest; .403 wOBA, 150 wRC+, but was 22 and struck out 21.5% of the time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That's crazy talk and you know it, Woodrow.

Honestly though, I can't remember the last Blue Jays prospect who had a wOBA above .400 at Double-A at 21.

Snider never did it. Thames was a beast, but he was 23 and fell short at .394. Hill and Rios killed that level too, but he were both 22. Adam Lind got it up to .397, but was 23 and struck out 23% of the time. d'Arnaud might be he closest; .403 wOBA, 150 wRC+, but was 22 and struck out 21.5% of the time.

Fangraphs minor league data only goes back to 2006, so no wOBA available before that... but the last Jays prospect to have a .900+ OPS at AA at 21 or younger was Vernon Wells in 1999... though he only had 120 PA before moving up to AAA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No clip of David Cooper just ignoring first base on Youtube boo

Not ignoring first base... ignoring the runner.

WHY DIDN'T HE JUST TAG HIM!??!

cooperslow.gif

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This isn't me saying this, this just what I've read from the guys rating Tellez down in lists, they say Tellez has a so-called "long swing". How they quantify a long swing is beyond me. The player obviously has to have the bat speed to put up big minor league numbers.

This is me saying this, there are plenty of examples of minor league sluggers including highly rated ones not panning out at the MLB level. Surely there must be some discernible difference between the ones that do and the ones that don't that isn't buried in their numbers.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Like I have been saying all along...

Joey Bats resigns in Toronto on a 2yr/35 million deal. Its a no brainer on his part and the Jays.

What will be interesting is when EE sees the club all back together if he and Jays can get back together to put a short term deal together to take another run.

Doesn't seem like the EE camp has anything going for them at this time. So why not take a Cespedes type of deal where you have a player opt out after the first year.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Like I have been saying all along...

Joey Bats resigns in Toronto on a 2yr/35 million deal. Its a no brainer on his part and the Jays.

What will be interesting is when EE sees the club all back together if he and Jays can get back together to put a short term deal together to take another run.

Doesn't seem like the EE camp has anything going for them at this time. So why not take a Cespedes type of deal where you have a player opt out after the first year.

no brainer for Bats.. why would Toronto do this?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This isn't me saying this, this just what I've read from the guys rating Tellez down in lists, they say Tellez has a so-called "long swing". How they quantify a long swing is beyond me. The player obviously has to have the bat speed to put up big minor league numbers.

This is me saying this, there are plenty of examples of minor league sluggers including highly rated ones not panning out at the MLB level. Surely there must be some discernible difference between the ones that do and the ones that don't that isn't buried in their numbers.

I don't think any of us is saying that he's a slam dunk or some kind of guarantee to be successful. I'm just saying there are conflicting reports, and they're somewhat vague, and there are a ton of examples of scouts not liking a certain aspect of a player's swing and it turning out to be a complete non-issue, that I'm comfortable believing that Tellez will succeed until the numbers show some sign of weakness.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Ah, David Cooper, I loved me some David Cooper back in the day. It really is too bad that injuries derailed his career. At one point, I believe he was nearly paralyzed by his back injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad