Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I really don't see how we can keep Ellis under 6 mill after him being severely underpaid the past few seasons. Ellis only has one season left and is far worse than Subban. Subban also does a ton for the community. Ellis should be the one traded he can still fetch a lot if he agrees to an extension. Ellis+ for Karlsson.
Not sure how we can keep Ellis so let's trade him for Karlsson? ....What?! :huh:

Didn't you become a Jets fan?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The Subban stuff is pure garbage, even if Andy Strickland is reliable most of the time. I'll guarantee all that he has heard has come straight out of this stupid Montreal media crap, which has now circulated around enough that it's more or less laundered and what everyone knew was drivel has now become semi-legit.

Subban will probably be moved before his contract ends, but it will be done because of a hockey reason, not some media BS. The only reason Poile moves him now is for cap space to sign someone like Tavares or to trade for someone around that level. He is not going to trade him for a bunch of unknowns and draft picks, not right now anyways.

I'll say it again, how many big trades has Poile done that anyone knew about ahead of time? The Erat trade may be about the only one and that's because he demanded a trade.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I'll take Subban back on the Habs, you can have Weber + any other D if you so choose, as well as a 2nd round pick. Please and thank you very much.

BTW, now you guys know the kind of stupid bullshit the guy has been dealing with FOR YEARS. The scrutiny and rumours surrounding him are ridiculous, and it doesn't matter what kind of evidence these so-called journalist have.

Seriously speaking, unless there are some real problems in the locker room or that Poile gets too good of a package, he ain't getting moved. You don't just move your best playoff D (at both ends of the ice) when his obvious replacement (Josi) was butter soft brutal, that's laying the groundworks for your eventual firing (and sooner rather than later).

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Thank you for your post but as for the trade offer, non. :) I'm in the boat of don't touch the ****ing team.

I don't know. If Montreal was offering 3rd overall + juulsen/mete + something else for subban/Josi I'd probably give it some consideration. We could get another excellent rw at 3rd overall and juulsen/mete have the ability to be upper end second pairing low end first pairing but with the rest of the defense group it would still be very capable. Would also give us enough capspace to really Perdue tavares or anyone else we wanted

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know. If Montreal was offering 3rd overall + juulsen/mete + something else for subban/Josi I'd probably give it some consideration. We could get another excellent rw at 3rd overall and juulsen/mete have the ability to be upper end second pairing low end first pairing but with the rest of the defense group it would still be very capable. Would also give us enough capspace to really Perdue tavares or anyone else we wanted
Good lord, no. Prospects for any of our top players is not the way to go right now. We already have the cap space to pursue Tavares, no need to sacrifice anything in the defense group or top player category to make that happen. Cup windows are hard to pry open and quick to slam shut on your fingers, the Preds can't take any conscious backwards steps for the next little while.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Incidentally I am thinking it would be hilarious if Tavares signed in Vegas. Another feather in the cap of the Little Engine expansion team. They have the cap space, and hey, they are obviously as close to winning as anybody. Plus a fun place and all that. Why not go to Vegas if you are the top UFA in the game???

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Incidentally I am thinking it would be hilarious if Tavares signed in Vegas. Another feather in the cap of the Little Engine expansion team. They have the cap space, and hey, they are obviously as close to winning as anybody. Plus a fun place and all that. Why not go to Vegas if you are the top UFA in the game???

Wouldn't be funny at all. Would suck balls since they are obviously going to be one of the teams we have to contend with to get back to the finals these next few years

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm hoping Nashville mananges to snag Tavares when he hits free agency. I know its a long shot and Turris would definitely have to be moved (would suck to move him already) but if you have a shot to sign JT you do it. Tavares/Johansen seems ten times more deadly than Johansen/Turris imo. Plus im sure you can bank another first round pick for next season with Turris too.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm hoping Nashville mananges to snag Tavares when he hits free agency. I know its a long shot and Turris would definitely have to be moved (would suck to move him already) but if you have a shot to sign JT you do it. Tavares/Johansen seems ten times more deadly than Johansen/Turris imo. Plus im sure you can bank another first round pick for next season with Turris too.

I think if the cap goes up we could do it and move Bonino. I'm just not sure Poile is gonna want 19 to 20 million tied up in 2 centers..

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here's my mantra for the Preds:

DON'T TOUCH THE f***ING TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm coming up with ideas for trades and how it would work for the Preds but I'm at, NO!

If the Preds can get a high second for Bonino and try to make a move for JT, hell yeah but I'm satisfied with the team.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Here's my mantra for the Preds:

DON'T TOUCH THE ****ING TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm coming up with ideas for trades and how it would work for the Preds but I'm at, NO!

If the Preds can get a high second for Bonino and try to make a move for JT, hell yeah but I'm satisfied with the team.
we were eliminated in the 2nd round by a team that was embarrassed and outplayed by vegas. this whole "don't touch the team" by management and the players is borderline idiotic. the pieces are there, yes. but every summer you have a chance to make your team better, you do it. small or large.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Tell you what.. this game has been quite entertaining for those not watching.
Not sure if you guys have seen it or not but Matt Groening predicted that Vegas would get a team and shows a scene with the Stanley Cup in it.... back in 1999 in The Simpson’s.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
we were eliminated in the 2nd round by a team that was embarrassed and outplayed by vegas. this whole "don't touch the team" by management and the players is borderline idiotic. the pieces are there, yes. but every summer you have a chance to make your team better, you do it. small or large.

What do you predict the team should do? #2 goals against, #7 goals for and both goalies have a sub 2.50 GAA.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wouldn't be funny at all. Would suck balls since they are obviously going to be one of the teams we have to contend with to get back to the finals these next few years
Or... Tavares actually messes up everything that is working for Vegas and they crash back to earth. No longer are they a bunch of castaways and misfits working together as a team, instead they have that one big superstar making $10M and everybody looks to him and suddenly the mojo is all destroyed and they sink back to being like an Edmonton or something with a big star and nothing else going on. Maybe signing Tavares would be their Kryptonite!
:badidea:

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Preds have: a team that looks like it has all the pieces (on paper). $10M in cap space. 5 months to ponder on what went wrong (on ice) and figure out how to do better next year.

So I think unless there is really something that coaching and management know that we don't - like something specific to do with team chemistry or attitudes or behaviours etc that we have no insight into - which is not impossible, even though I don't think we've seen any inkling of that - then it is early days to shake things up. If you really believe in the players and that you have assembled all the pieces, you let them use that time off and see what they make of it when they come back next year.

But of course you spend that $10M in free cap space too. It's not worth anything unspent. Should be able to get some good adds with that money. It's an opportunity for a huge free upgrade on Hartnell and Emelin, say... and that's basically "worst case". If adding a good #5 d-man and a top-6 scoring winger is your "worst case" as a President's Trophy winning team, things are pretty rosy. (Of course best case is something really crazy like a Tavares snag).

I think next year's off-season would be the more appropriate time to consider a bigger change in terms of sending personnel out, if things don't turn out better. This year - President's Trophy, lesson hopefully learned that they can't just rest on their laurels. Next year - Cup or bust (or at least a very convincing Cup run). If it turns out they didn't learn their lessons from this year, then that's the more appropriate time to take more serious action with personnel changes.

Reactions: Armourboy

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

On the other hand we won the Presidents Trophy and were beaten by a team that was three points away from winning the Presidents Trophy.

Who knows how we would have fared against Las Vegas, Winnipeg always seemed like a scarier team to me.

Our window is open and our core guys are young enough to get a couple more cracks at it, this is not the year to do something drastic. Did Rinne, Josi, Ellis and Turris have a crappy 2nd round? Yes, but we've seen how they can play when they are on.

Giving more starts to Saros while resting Rinne, replacing Hartnell with Hartman and adding Tolvanen are already three things we can change going in to next year and the offseason hasn't started yet. I'm sure there will be some changes this summer, but I don't think they'll be very big.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Maybe OT but I'm f***ing tired of trying to explain dumbos how idiotic it sounds trying to justify a PK trade proposal by an article that's from 2016 and says that 'PK Subban of CANADIENS' may be on the move.
Ah mainboards-

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Maybe OT but I'm ****ing tired of trying to explain dumbos how idiotic it sounds trying to justify a PK trade proposal by an article that's from 2016 and says that 'PK Subban of CANADIENS' may be on the move.
Ah mainboards-
Start a thread on the main boards saying rumor Austin Matthews may be on the block. Then explain that this thread is just as dumb as pk being on the block. You'll get alot of Toronto fans panties in a bunch with this lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad