Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Sabres fan here. And I’ve noticed the chatter about Tavares. But if you didn’t get him, do you think the organization would be interested in a guy like O’Reilly? And if so what would be willing to give up. Looking for any position (I’d prefer a young left winger). Something around Fiala?
Also, I know the contract seems a bit much, but for a low end 1C, $7.5M is pretty fair in my estimation.
Thanks in advance.

Zero chance we trade Fiala. Poile isnt looking to blow this up, just tweak it. Tavares is a pipe dream/summertime flight of fancy that has 0.0001% chance of happening.

And in any case we have a "non elite" 1C in Johansen already. No reason to add another

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Our weakness in the playoffs were:
Rinne
Josi/Ellis
2nd line

I think you can look at those things and try to improve as you see fit....

If that means moving Ellis, finding a quicker partner for the top 4. Fine.

If that means adding a forward and moving somone off that 2nd line. Fine.

However, this is a great team. Tweaks or nothing is what I expect.
This is it. Thread may be closed now.

Reactions: adsfan

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So what do we make of Subban being on the block? I’m not buying it, but man, when there’s smoke there’s fire, right?
I trust Poile and clearly something was off with this team for good portions of the season (sounds utterly ridiculous to say that about a President's Trophy winner). If it's true, I believe whatever deal occurs will make us better.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think what was off was that the team was "too good for its own good". Like those Washington Prez Trophy teams. Sometimes you need to lose to learn how to win, and when Poile doesn't make any trades at all and just tweaks with free agency I won't be surprised.

There's nothing wrong with the team or any of the players. They got a little wake up call is all. If they don't answer that call, then ok, maybe I'll start to worry. In the meantime I take Poile's post-season comments at face value because... they just make sense.

Reactions: aless47172

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Came into this thread to ask if you guys think Preds will be looking to move Saros into #1 job next year?

Or at least make it a 1A/1B situation

Hawks in '15 won with practically 3 defenders.

Hawks had 4 defenders

Oduya averaged nearly 25 min that run

Hawks had no other viable defenders when Rozy broke his ankle and essentially played just 4 defenders for final 2 series

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Saros will get more time next season. Whether that is a true 1a/1b I dont know, but I look for the Preds to give him enough starts to figure out if they really think he is the replacement.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
andy strickland is pretty reliable, no?

I guess he is, but I'm so very tired of the "Subban is locker room cancer"-talk. Big part of the reason why I hope the prospect with the video game addiction never gets outed so that it won't follow him everywhere he goes for the rest of his career.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Sabres fan here. And I’ve noticed the chatter about Tavares. But if you didn’t get him, do you think the organization would be interested in a guy like O’Reilly? And if so what would be willing to give up. Looking for any position (I’d prefer a young left winger). Something around Fiala?
Also, I know the contract seems a bit much, but for a low end 1C, $7.5M is pretty fair in my estimation.
Thanks in advance.

I've thought about the prospect of trading for ROR. You wouldn't get a Fiala just because of the dollars that Nashville is taking on. ROR deal is going to be an albatross in a couple of seasons. I was thinking the deal, if it were to be made would center around Craig Smith, and a couple of kids not named Tolvanen or Fabbro. I think Smith, Carrier, and a guy like Salomaki or Gaudreau is more than fair. It would also open up the opportunity to move on from Bonino.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I also heard Hedman, Stamkos and kucherov were cancers in Tampa.

clearly the deal to make is Subban for the 3 of them. They should probably throw in a couple of firsts too.

So done with the cancer talk. He is a cancer to the guys who are jealous of him, more than likely because he is a black guy having success. Same reason that he gets booed. No other player gets that treatment everytime he touches the puck and there are plenty of elite players out there if you were gonna boo. Idiots...

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I guess he is, but I'm so very tired of the "Subban is locker room cancer"-talk. Big part of the reason why I hope the prospect with the video game addiction never gets outed so that it won't follow him everywhere he goes for the rest of his career.
i don't get behind the cancer talk either. but if Strickland is reporting it, then it's probably true (that he is being shopped, not being cancer). i have bitched about subban and his 9 million all year. if we trade him, that's reason one and the biggest reason. poile is watching Vegas and seeing a lot he could do with 9 million. just my perspective though.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
i don't get behind the cancer talk either. but if Strickland is reporting it, then it's probably true (that he is being shopped, not being cancer). i have *****ed about subban and his 9 million all year. if we trade him, that's reason one and the biggest reason. poile is watching Vegas and seeing a lot he could do with 9 million. just my perspective though.

The opening post on that thread says Strickland was on the radio and "pretty much" said Subban was on the block. That seems pretty vague and probably just an interpretation by the OP of that thread. On page 4 someone posted Strickland's tweet on May 18 regarding Subban that said "If PK Subban is avail as some are suggesting I think it’s safe to assume there’s more to it than just his cap number #Preds".

Yes, I consider Strickland pretty reliable but all in all I'm not convinced that Strickland actually said PK is on the block moreso than he was speculating about why the reasons were he COULD be available.

Personally, I don't expect Subban to finish his contract here but I'd be surprised if he is traded this offseason.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
andy strickland is pretty reliable, no?
Obviously not. But per pf24's post, these guys are shooting the breeze on talkshows and not really trying to be "reporters" in forums like that. Lots of media folk have prejudices against Subban, that is well-established already. If they then respond to speculative questions with those biases in place, I don't think it's really any more relevant than a random post by a random user on these boards. They have a bigger platform than a random user on these boards does, but still are just engaging in personal speculation to pass the time on their segments.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
if Strickland is speculating if he is available then I rescind my post. but if he comes out and says we are shopping subban, I believe him. the guy is very reliable.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
if Strickland is speculating if he is available then I rescind my post. but if he comes out and says we are shopping subban, I believe him. the guy is very reliable.

I don't know Strickland much, but considering anytime someone says something about Subban, it gets re-posted, re-tweeted etc... I assume if he had revealed any new info, it would be all over the internet by now. So I assume he was just talking about the fact he's been rumored to be "on the tradeblock".

And that tweet he posted a few days ago makes it look like he doesn't have any insider info on that specific situation.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
i don't get behind the cancer talk either. but if Strickland is reporting it, then it's probably true (that he is being shopped, not being cancer). i have *****ed about subban and his 9 million all year. if we trade him, that's reason one and the biggest reason. poile is watching Vegas and seeing a lot he could do with 9 million. just my perspective though.

Strickland or no, Poile trading Subban after just two seasons makes him look like a damn fool. I dont believe it. The only possible scenario for moving subban is we are getting Tavares and Karlsson and need cap space

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Strickland or no, Poile trading Subban after just two seasons makes him look like a damn fool. I dont believe it. The only possible scenario for moving subban is we are getting Tavares and Karlsson and need cap space

PK at his best is a 60 point defenseman...defenseman. The only, only way the Preds move Subban is if they are making a move for JT and Fabbro is signing. On a 80 million dollar cap moving Subban gives the Preds 19 million dollars to play with!!!

I could think of an insane move of Bonino + Subban for Karlsson and Duchene and the Ottawa 1st pick but I'm insane! I'm used car lot insane!

Bones: 16 goals, 19 assists, 4.1 Million, 3 years
PK: 16 goals, 43 assists, 9 million, 4 years (Preds eat 15%)
TOTAL: 32 goals, 62 assists, 13.1 million - 1.35 million Preds eat = 11.75 Million

for

Karlsson: 9 goals, 53 assists, 6.5 million, 1 year
Duchene: 27 goals, 32 assists, 6 million, 1 year
TOTAL: 36 goals, 85 assists, 12.5 million + 1.35 million Preds eat = 13.85 Million

I can rationalize it by saying this fits Nashville's contract situation better. Rinne's contract ends and pays for Duchene and Karlsson's extensions. Ottawa gets a fan drawing star for two guys who are out the door. Preds trade a disappointing center to Ottawa for a guy who started off disappointing in Duchene. Ottawa gets a defensive upgrade, Preds an offensive upgrade.

But I'm insane. Let's make it clear. I am insane. And my rational side says don't touch the friggin team.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I really don't see how we can keep Ellis under 6 mill after him being severely underpaid the past few seasons. Ellis only has one season left and is far worse than Subban. Subban also does a ton for the community. Ellis should be the one traded he can still fetch a lot if he agrees to an extension. Ellis+ for Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->