Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I hope that it happens. Could you imagine Forsberg on a line with tavares? Good god. Forsberg would for sure be over a PPG player with him. Johansen would be arguably one of the best 2c’s out there. We’d come out of the gates screaming.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Just for fun...

Using the numbers off CapFriendly, they're showing a total cap hit for next season of $67.5M. New deals are needed for Salomaki (RFA), Hartman (RFA), Hartnell (UFA), Fisher (UFA), Emelin (UFA), Saros (RFA). I believe salary cap projections for next year are in the $78-82M range so let's use the low end, $78M, just to be safe. That means there's currently $10.5M of room under the cap.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson (all signed long term)
Fiala-Turris-Smith (all signed, Fiala one more year on his ELC)
Tolvanen-Bonino-Jarnkrok (all signed, Tolvanen starting his ELC)
Watson-Sissons-xxxx
xxxx-xxxx

Josi-Ellis (Ellis one more year at $2.5M)
Subban-Ekholm
Irwin-Weber
Bitetto

Rinne
xxxx

So, we need three forwards and one goalie signed, minimum. We have $10.5M with which to do it. Assume Hartman is one of those forwards and signs for around $2M (that's a wild guess - I have no idea what he'll command but he's an RFA and shouldn't be TOO expensive). That leaves $8.5M. Put a couple of million toward Saros, too. Sign Salomaki as one of the depth forwards.

We're probably looking at around $5M in cap space at that point. The issue is, it's depending on Tolvanen to make the team. Maybe he will. Maybe he'll be awesome. But maybe he'll need a little time in Milwaukee to get used to the physical grind. Forsberg did and it didn't hurt his game any. So I hope the team will use $3-4M and pick up a veteran third-line forward to play with Bonino and Jarnkrok as extra depth. Maybe that's Hartnell? I don't know.

Then Rinne's contract comes off the books before Ellis' extension will kick in. Assuming Rinne re-signs at a lower rate moving into a 1A/1B setup as Saros emerges (hopefully), that might cover the cost of Ellis' raise. But we also have Fiala coming off his ELC and he's going to need a raise, too, so any veteran depth that costs more than a couple million needs to be a one-year deal.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Do I think Tavares winds up in Nashville? No

Can you just imagine us with Tavares/Johansen as a 1/2 punch at center for the next 5+ years??

I’ve been thinking about this question- if you are the GM and you can make Tavares work and he agrees to sign here, but it means that we have to lose Ellis.

You are the GM- do you do it????????

I feel confident in our roster right now but if it means adding JT and you lose Ellis, so be it. We have two number 1 D in PK and Josi. Ekholm isn't far behind. JT is one of the top 10 players in the world. He upgrades our top line. It would push RJ down to the second line to play with Fiala and Smith which isn't a bad thing. You then have Turris and Bonino as your bottom 6 centers. If you're saucy, you move one of them to gain some salary cap back. Heck, move one of them, sign JT and re-sign Ellis with the money saved from moving Bones or Turris.

This is a no brainer if JT wants to sign here.

Reactions: Enoch

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Our weakness in the playoffs were:
Rinne
Josi/Ellis
2nd line

I think you can look at those things and try to improve as you see fit....

If that means moving Ellis, finding a quicker partner for the top 4. Fine.

If that means adding a forward and moving somone off that 2nd line. Fine.

However, this is a great team. Tweaks or nothing is what I expect.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I look for Poile to pick up another forward somewhere, either to play in the 2nd and push Smith down or play on the 3rd and push Hartman down. Salomaki will be the scratch and that leaves room to move Tolvanen up and down if you need to.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Saw this on another team's thread and think it's an good observation:

A few observations from these playoffs:
1) Goaltending must be solid (We didn't get this from Rinne)
2) Grit still matters (We didn't have nearly enough of this, which is why we looked weak, especially along the boards and got easily manhandled it seemed. Got some grit back when we put Hartnell in.)
3) Skating and endurance are a given (We didn't skate hard or fast enough as we needed, especially to go after the puck to win puck battles and maintain puck possession).
4) Puck battles and forechecking set teams apart (Think this was our weakest part of our game. We weren't as strong on our forchecking or winning puck battles and got out worked, out played alot. Our guys aren't very big/strong. Thinking we need some bigger bodies or our guys to bulk up some as we weren't as strong as needed to out hustle or muscle our opponents as needed to get the puck, keep the puck, or get the puck out of our end. I would be telling our guys to hit the gym/weight room this off season if I was the coach.)​

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
he sort of promised the guys to not make any big changes, and getting Tavares would be just that.
Any player upset at him breaking a promise and signing Tavares would need his head examined. He makes this team much much better and opens up a huge Cup window. They would get over it at the 1st practice.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Our weakness in the playoffs were:
Rinne
Josi/Ellis
2nd line

I think you can look at those things and try to improve as you see fit....

If that means moving Ellis, finding a quicker partner for the top 4. Fine.

If that means adding a forward and moving somone off that 2nd line. Fine.

However, this is a great team. Tweaks or nothing is what I expect.

Seeing how Josi and Ellis were bad for the entirety of the playoffs while Rinne at least had some awesome games, I'd put Josi-Ellis as our main weakness. Heck even the 2nd line was debatable worse than Rinne. In the absolute final game though yes Rinne was definitely the weakest by far, but when you look at the playoffs as a whole, I really think that's debatable.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I feel confident in our roster right now but if it means adding JT and you lose Ellis, so be it. We have two number 1 D in PK and Josi. Ekholm isn't far behind. JT is one of the top 10 players in the world. He upgrades our top line. It would push RJ down to the second line to play with Fiala and Smith which isn't a bad thing. You then have Turris and Bonino as your bottom 6 centers. If you're saucy, you move one of them to gain some salary cap back. Heck, move one of them, sign JT and re-sign Ellis with the money saved from moving Bones or Turris.

This is a no brainer if JT wants to sign here.

Agreed about Tavares. I don't want to abandon the big 4 D so I think the move is to send Turris back to NY for a signed Tavares at the 11th hour if it becomes clear to the Isles they're not going to be able to retain JT. Turris is a waste of talent and cap space in a third line role in Nashville, especially when you already have Bonino. On the Isles side, going forward with Turris and Barzal as your top 2 centers isn't the worst thing in the world.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Do I think Tavares winds up in Nashville? No

I’ve been thinking about this question- if you are the GM and you can make Tavares work and he agrees to sign here, but it means that we have to lose Ellis.

You are the GM- do you do it????????
I feel like I am missing part of the premise here. Why would we have to lose Ellis again? Do you mean down the road after his current deal expires?

In the immediate term, the only obstacle to Tavares signing with us is - Tavares wanting to sign with us. Unless he hates Ryan Ellis for some reason (2009 OHL playoffs???) then I don't think there is any reason to tie them together in this. If Tavares wants to be a Pred, then we basically have the cap space already, and/or if we wanted a little more breathing room on that front Ellis would not be the most obvious choice to sacrifice to create it?

Even down the road a bit, I would just put Rinne's money onto Ellis for his next contract. Still probably expose him to Seattle or possibly make a trade involving him before the expansion draft... but that's related to expansion not to Tavares.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
This is being discussed:

To Nashville:
Skinner + Faulk + 2019 1st

To Carolina:
Rinne + Subban

Said a HFboards CAR fan. No idea where he got this trade classified as 'this is being discussed' but initial reaction is hell no.

Our best D and #1 goalie for help on the wings and a Bad replacement for Subban accompanied by an unknown commodity who probably won't help us win anything immediately.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
that's tempting if we are wanting to free up a lot of salary. 16 million!

value wise, we lose but i am of the belief that rinne is on the downhill after his playoff performance. we could always flip a 1st. either way, no way that trade happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
This is being discussed:

To Nashville:

To Carolina:
Rinne + Subban

Said a HFboards CAR fan. No idea where he got this trade classified as 'this is being discussed' but initial reaction is hell no.

Our best D and #1 goalie for help on the wings and a Bad replacement for Subban accompanied by an unknown commodity who probably won't help us win anything immediately.
Terrible trade for US and sets the team back 5 years and effectively closes a Cup window.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
that's tempting if we are wanting to free up a lot of salary. 16 million!

value wise, we lose but i am of the belief that rinne is on the downhill after his playoff performance. we could always flip a 1st. either way, no way that trade happens.
He definitely has a lot of miles on him, in my opinion. It has always puzzled me as to why there never seems to be a backup they stick with to possibly take over for him when the time comes, either by trade, performance, etc.

Saros is a capable goalie, no doubt, but it just seemed they always had someone waiting in the wings whenever ready.

Mason for Vokoun
Ellis for Mason
Pekka for Ellis

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This is being discussed:

To Nashville:

To Carolina:
Rinne + Subban

That person is hallucinating and should be given medical attention not having their silly rumor propogated

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
This is being discussed:

To Nashville:

To Carolina:
Rinne + Subban

This is not a rumor. The poster who posted that previously made a thread in the Trade and Rumors section proposing this trade. There is no inside information here.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan here. And I’ve noticed the chatter about Tavares. But if you didn’t get him, do you think the organization would be interested in a guy like O’Reilly? And if so what would be willing to give up. Looking for any position (I’d prefer a young left winger). Something around Fiala?
Also, I know the contract seems a bit much, but for a low end 1C, $7.5M is pretty fair in my estimation.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad