GDT: Oct. 7th: Canucks @ Flames [8:00pm - Sportsnet]

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hi friends, DRW fan here. This was the 1st game of the NHL season I decided to watch, and I wasn't disappointed. Fast, amazing game it was thrilling.

A humbling loss for the Flames, well so be it. Credit to VAN they played solid and am actually happy they've composed themselves to be a real hockey team again.

Every shift I saw the tap passes and incessant cycling back and forth from both squads, I swear I can't decipher who was the better team. The difference may have been Miller for Canucks- I thought old boy was done but obviously he has something to say about that.

Calgary Flames fans shouldn't read more into this opening home loss than what it is. It's a bit of a shock for how prepared the team was but it only proves the attention needed on every level. Also the fields of the supernatural and metaphysical (where the Sedin's appear to dwell in lol) I hope the Flames players encompass themselves. It's not always a matter of working harder, it's working smarter. The Flames are here, such an exciting brand of hockey the team is better than last year don't be discouraged by a home opening loss.
200.gif

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
I would say:

Best Players of the game:

Russell
Frolik
Kulak
Ferland
Jooris

Worst Players of the game:
Hamilton
Monahan
Wideman
Ramo
Engelland

Most Randomly Penalized For Misconduct Players of the Game:
Stajan
Really? I thought that Monahan played very well and the Hudler looked awful.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
As an outsider who watched the game last night just because I missed hockey I'd like to comment.

I think what we saw last night was a team trying to do a little too much at times. Forcing passes and leaving position for plays with little chance of reward.

Although this sucks, these are all things that are easily fixed. If I was a flames fan,I would step away from the ledge. A lot of good hockey is going to be coming out of this group this year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I wouldn't say Kulak was a "best" player of the game while Engelland was a "worst", other than the penalty I don't think Engy hand that bad of a game, made some decent outlet passes and bailed Kulak out once or twice, and Kulak definitely had some jitters, the first time he touched the puck he gave it up. People just have selective memories when it comes to guys like Engelland.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't say Kulak was a "best" player of the game while Engelland was a "worst", other than the penalty I don't think Engy hand that bad of a game, made some decent outlet passes and bailed Kulak out once or twice, and Kulak definitely had some jitters, the first time he touched the puck he gave it up. People just have selective memories when it comes to guys like Engelland.
It's not selective memory, it's blind disdain. Engelland could save a family from a burning building, score 3 goals in game seven of the cup finals and he would still get **** on

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm not too worried about game one.
I think there was a span in the first period we saw what the Flames will look like. Fast, offensively dangerous and a puck possession team.

I think the wheels kind of came off with the real softy at the end of the second; and then they were forcing play a bit too much. I thought they were the better team for most of the first and the second; then kind of just stopped. I also don't agree with Bollig's fight in the first period, we were pushing the pace and skating well... that fight was boring, took a long time and killed the flow of the game. The Flames lost momentum after that.

Wideman looked horrendous last night; including his own goal. I think it just points to the fact that we truly need Brodie in the lineup. Engelland, while I've been a supporter of his over the past year, barely looks like an NHL defenseman. Kulak played okay for a bottom pairing rookie. Dougie I thought looked okay, he's definitely meaner than we've been led to believe. His skating is crazy good too; I look forward to how he progresses... because last night it looked like he had all the tools to be a #1, but had a pretty 'meh' game.

First line looked okay, Hudler had a nice goal but was pretty pedestrian. I thought Frolik looked as advertised. Backs had a pretty bad game. Bennett looked good and was actually great at the dot for a 19 year old.

Ramo wasn't great, and when you face 44 shots... you better be great.

Just one game, I'm not overly worried. I think Hiller goes Saturday, and Calgary collects themselves.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Overall, I'm just gonna wipe that game from my memory :laugh:, not gonna hold it against anyone, they all played like **** after the first 10, on to the next one.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
As an impartial observer, I thought the Flames just looked like they were trying to be too cute, do too much and were forcing plays. They just need to settle down and tune out the hype and expectations.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Not sure where to ask this but is Hiller or Ramo going to get the lion share of starts this year for Calgary, or is it still up in the air?

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
The team as a whole played like crap, maybe Ferland but even he disappeared for most of the game. Ramo, I've never thought of him as a #1 goalie in this league and his mistakes tonight cost at least 2 goals if not more.

Calgary looked slow, so very very slow!

Regroup, change goalies and giver her hell Saturday night!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
On the plus side Ferland did beat the brakes off Dorsett :laugh: I recall reading all summer how he's gonna get creamed and guys like Dorsett would "mop the floor with him". That was nice

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not sure if it was sympathy pains for what happened to the team on the ice or the jalapeños on those nachos but my ******* sure hurts this morning.

Team had very, very few positives for most of it. The most infuriating thing that my buddy pointed out was so my blind passes up the boards. Even when Russell took 4-5 seconds to setup the play behind our net, he then proceeded to just dump it around the boards. Stuck in our defensive zone? No look pass up the boards.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
B's fan, just trying to see how Hamilton looked? From the stat line it didn't appear good, but I could not watch the game, and didn't have time to sift through the whole GDT.

Hamilton was not good defensively for the B's last year, lots of unforced errors in his own end, but a lot of that was probably due to him playing top pair minutes with Chara and against 1st lines. Offensively, he was very good. If you guys can pair him with a good defensive guy on the 2nd pair, he should perform well.

Good Luck this year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
If like to see them try
Ferland-Bennett-Frolik
Bouma-Backlund-Jooris

I know FroBack was good when together last night, but putting Fro with the kids could help get them the puck and spark some offense. And Bouma-Backs-Jooris is a decent shutdown line with an offensive touch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure if it was sympathy pains for what happened to the team on the ice or the jalapeños on those nachos but my ******* sure hurts this morning.

Team had very, very few positives for most of it. The most infuriating thing that my buddy pointed out was so my blind passes up the boards. Even when Russell took 4-5 seconds to setup the play behind our net, he then proceeded to just dump it around the boards. Stuck in our defensive zone? No look pass up the boards.
You should have kept it clenched :sarcasm:

B's fan, just trying to see how Hamilton looked? From the stat line it didn't appear good, but I could not watch the game, and didn't have time to sift through the whole GDT.

Hamilton was not good defensively for the B's last year, lots of unforced errors in his own end, but a lot of that was probably due to him playing top pair minutes with Chara and against 1st lines. Offensively, he was very good. If you guys can pair him with a good defensive guy on the 2nd pair, he should perform well.

Good Luck this year.
Hamilton was decent, by no means spectacular, but not bad either. He was more physical than advertised. I think it's a matter of him getting used to the system and the tendencies of teammates as our system is much more wide open than the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad