Observations XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
yeah **** it. we are in win in the next 2-4 years mode. by the time eeli hits his prime theoretically, we could be looking at a completely different direction of our beloved preds. although i would hate to trade tolvanen with the notion he isn't as good as we thought. thats reeks of erat for forsberg. very similar when you consider they both dropped a lot in the draft.
Stone>>erat. Stone is 26, erat was 31 when trade happened as well.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Speaking of fiala, when does poile start talking to him about his next contract? Aand in y'alls opinion what does his next contract look like?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
meanwhile in the real world;

..we are 10-0 when we score first and 2-3 when the other team scores first.
..no coincidence we have scored first more than any team in the league.
..our even strength goal for/goals against is amazing.
..we have outscored opponents 35-17 even strength.
..17 even strength goal allowed is of course far and away the lowest in the league.
..which explains how we dominate plus/minus in the league right now.
..we currently have 5 of the top 7 individual plus/minus and 9 of the top 21.
..i don't think any are surprised by the forsberg/johansen/arvy line plus/minuses. but more amazing is that sissons is a league leading plus 12 (tied with forsberg), bonino a plus 10 and hartman a plus 8.
..the team being a collective plus 18, makes the fiala -3 really jump out at you.
..we are 6-1-0 when we outshoot, 5-2-0 when we get outshot, 1-0-0 when we have same number of shots.
..we have a league leading 7 empty net goals. 7. almost double anyone else. we only had 9 all last year (20th most in the league).
..with 6 wins each, both of our goalies are in the top 7 in the league in wins.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
meanwhile in the real world;

..we have a league leading 7 empty net goals. 7. almost double anyone else. we only had 9 all last year (20th most in the league).

That is a stunning development for sure. It has always been one of my biggest pet-peeves with this team- how awful we were in empty net situations when trying to hold a lead.

We are so much better this year it is crazy- I no longer get stressed and actually feel confident in these situations now (knock on wood- lol)

Reactions: Pred303

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just looking over my Preds spreadsheet which I use to track game by game/year by year results. We are in the middle of a pretty remarkable run right now.

If you go back to the midway point of the 2016-17 season, the Preds were sitting at around .500 and seemingly going nowhere. 17-16-7 record.

Since then, the amount of success we have had is almost hard to believe:

The Preds have gone 89-34-15 since the midway point of 2016-17.

89-34-15!! That includes a Stanley Cup Final trip, a President’s trophy, and a game 7 loss in round 2 of the playoffs to a 114 point team.

In the past two seasons (last year and this year) the Preds are 65-21-11. 44 games over .500.

Those are some ridiculous numbers. If you had told me back in January of 2017 that all of this was coming, I would have said you were out of your mind.

The only thing missing is of course actually winning the Cup, which hopefully is still to come..

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
yeah **** it. we are in win in the next 2-4 years mode. by the time eeli hits his prime theoretically, we could be looking at a completely different direction of our beloved preds. although i would hate to trade tolvanen with the notion he isn't as good as we thought. thats reeks of erat for forsberg. very similar when you consider they both dropped a lot in the draft.
To be fair though we've been saying the whole "we could be in a totally different position in X number of years" theory for a long time. We continue to be largely competitive year in and year out. One of our biggest strengths is the relative youth of some of our best players. If our goaltending holds up there's no reason we shouldn't remain competitive for a long time.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
That is a stunning development for sure. It has always been one of my biggest pet-peeves with this team- how awful we were in empty net situations when trying to hold a lead.

We are so much better this year it is crazy- I no longer get stressed and actually feel confident in these situations now (knock on wood- lol)

Our play along the boards has been very good. That is something I have noticed in these situations, along with FO wins.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'd consider Tolvanen IF there's an extension in place. If not, no dice.

Nah. If tolvanen is the real deal that allows us to let Smith leave and not have to pay him 6 mil or more. That keeps our window open longer. It's already gonna suck watching Seth Jones be dominant for another 10 years and Girard be Colorados 1D for the next decade(even though both were the right move) but if Tolvanen is a bonafide 30G sniper and he plays for someone else, only a guaranteed Cup or two would make that tolerable

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Nah. If tolvanen is the real deal that allows us to let Smith leave and not have to pay him 6 mil or more. That keeps our window open longer. It's already gonna suck watching Seth Jones be dominant for another 10 years and Girard be Colorados 1D for the next decade(even though both were the right move) but if Tolvanen is a bonafide 30G sniper and he plays for someone else, only a guaranteed Cup or two would make that tolerable

I get what your saying but even if we keep Tolvanen it doesn’t guarantee a cup.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I know but if we trade Tolvanen,he turns into Forsberg 2.0, and we DONT win a Cup... :help::ha::mad:
But it's not like we're talking about trading him for scraps. Mark Stone would instantly make our top 6 Alot better. And increases our chances at winning the cup right now. Stone would be our leading scorer with 19 points right now. And he's doing this with way less talent in Ottawa. Imagine what kind impact he would make on a talented team like ours. Him and turris already showed great chemistry on the ice and turris is a friend he can talk to to let him know Nashville is a great place to live and give him an another reason to sign long term. If poile does make a move, a trade for Mark Stone should be one of the top ones on his list.

Reactions: Jonesey

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Stone would be our leading scorer with 19 points right now. And he's doing this with way less talent in Ottawa. Imagine what kind impact he would make on a talented team like ours.
Well I believe he has a bigger impact on Ottawa team than he would have on ours. We have JOFA line, so he wouldn't be counted so heavily to provide offense and he would have less minutes than in Ottawa, but I agree that it would be huge to have him on this team.

When it comes to whether we should trade Fiala or Tolvanen, I'd rather trade Tolvanen. Fiala has shown he has the tools to be an NHLer and our cup window is now. Keep him at 3rd line and make him work on making the smart play. That should eventually lead to him overcome whatever is holding him back and help our 3rd line provide some secondary scoring.

Fiala is much closer and much more likely to make an impact during our cup window than Tolvanen is, imo.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Fact is we ar are 12-3-0 despite our special teams woes. I really doubt Poile screws with the team right now. If the special teams continues to falter and we have a significant stretch of .500 hockey or worse, then he will do something, just like he did last year when we were sputtering out of the gate

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think the most frustrating thing for him and arguably for us as fans is the team is winning... But has not looked fantastic doing so. Think about how much more dominate we would be if our PK or PP improved by one or two percent.

Poile has to be thinking the same thing.

I'm not saying now is the time to make a move, but between now and the trade deadline I expect an upgrade on the second line if Fiala doesn't get his act together and the PP continues to struggle.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Mark Stone can't negotiate his next contract until January 1st so if he is a player we were looking at I don't see poile making a move like this until he could at least talk to stone about an extension.
Even if were still at the top of the league January 1st I still would make a move for stone. I get messing with chemistry but tutors and already has good chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad