Observations XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Anyone ever notice we never hear news like this from our local media? It always comes from outside media, usually Canada. Pretty weird (and sad). I mean we just had a whole day of exit day media availability and I did not see one thing reported locally on any of the Preds many injuries. (Ellis????).

EDIT- I guess it is possible we may hear something about it today when Lavi and Poile have their pressers- we shall see.

The local beat writer is terrible, hopefully they fire him and bring in someone decent now that the Preds have some buzz. He is literally 100% useless, he's never presented anything that the two guys working for the Preds (Willis and Bratten? I think) hadn't already divulged, or soon would, generally with more and better information to boot.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Vingan is from DC and doesn't want to be here. Why can't we hire a local guy who know hockey to write about the team?

Yep- I always got the impression that he looked down on the Preds franchise and the city- he came from the “great†Washington DC and a loaded Capitals team that was one of the favorites to win the Cup to a Preds franchise that was an afterthought to the hockey world.

But look at the situation now- Nashville is the talk of the hockey world and the Preds just got closer to the Cup than the Caps ever have- pretty hilarious..:laugh:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It appears the Ellis injury is severe enough that he needs further evaluations. Saying he "has issues".

Whatever it is, hopefully it is nothing that will have any long-term effects.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Is the Neal injury separate or related to the November (I think) injury he dealt with? Doesn't really matter, just wondering.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Bruins fan here, thought I'd post this article about Mike Dunham, the Preds' first goaltender. Mike is currently the Islanders' goaltending coach and was a member of Maine's 1993 NCAA title team.

P.S. 2 I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Preds' run and hope P.K. made heads explode in Montreal.

I knew he was a golfer and that there was some past history with it. Isn't his dad a pro or was he considering going pro and chose goaltending long ago? Thanks for the update. My son really liked him.

2. Grin. Evil me wants that, too, for PK's benefit. I also want Shea to do well and know he was valued here.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Jesus how in the heads of the Pens brass are we? From the head coach, team president and plenty of others all referencing and comparing Nashville fans to Pittsburgh fans. We really did leave an impression. Up yours NHL establishment!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Jesus how in the heads of the Pens brass are we? From the head coach, team president and plenty of others all referencing and comparing Nashville fans to Pittsburgh fans. We really did leave an impression. Up yours NHL establishment!

basically the paradigm went from 'You aren't hockey fans!' to 'Why are you 'hockey fans' so quiet?'. We went from sleepy backwater to Toronto version 2.0 so fast it created a vacuum.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree, he's so snarky, loves to put the preds down.
I don't get the vibe that he dislikes the Preds, it seems like he likes to think he's a super cool guy for having the job he does. It's not like DC is the mecca for hockey.

I'm 32 and a former Journalism student. If I had an NHL beat job at a young age I'd probably be a tad full of myself too. But I also don't know the guy so whatever. As far as him being "lazy", he probably does what is required of him, and since he's employed by The Tennessean that's probably not a lot.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
My main complaint is that he is 100% useless. The two guys employed by the Preds: Brooks Bratten and Tom Willis do a much better job than him. He literally brings nothing to the table that these two don't already do, and they generally do it much better.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Find yourself. I found me but it looks like the guy started taking the picture before Paul announced it to the arena. Only the people around the band stage knew. Found a guy picking his nose. A couple making out. Two guys pointing at each other discussing who knows what.

https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/stanleycup/2017/game6/
I'm directly behind and above it.

My main complaint is that he is 100% useless. The two guys employed by the Preds: Brooks Bratten and Tom Willis do a much better job than him. He literally brings nothing to the table that these two don't already do, and they generally do it much better.
Again, I assume that's because The Tennessean doesn't exactly make him do much. When I was with the Panthers I had to deal with visiting media members and their work. It's quite common for a lot of teams to have beat writers not contributing much. Maybe that's because I saw a lot of people from the pre-realignment Southeast Division teams but still.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Find yourself. I found me but it looks like the guy started taking the picture before Paul announced it to the arena. Only the people around the band stage knew. Found a guy picking his nose. A couple making out. Two guys pointing at each other discussing who knows what.

I heard them announce it. I found my daughter and me in 219. I'm grinning, she's too cool for that. ;-)

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008

Actually, the man running the camera seemed to have problems getting it to start ... kept fooling with it for a couple minutes; then the crowd got amped up again waving towels and they took the photo. Found myself but can't really see my face because the lady in front of me is waving her towel.

Oh well ... lol

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

You don't even know how right you are. If they aren't the center of attention or someone dares to complement another fanbase, they get all pissy.

I had a big long ranty post about the fans/media up there, but instead I'm just going to say this....

As someone that went to Pitt and has family and friends all over Western PA, I expected some good-natured ribbing from people. What I didn't expect was for some to be so ignorant and willfully hurtful to actually attack me and my family so damn much.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Sadly true. They were not particularly nice people to interact with in person or on the forums. That one Westboro styled fan was particularly disturbing.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah Chicago fans are annoying, St. Louis fans are annoying, Pittsburgh fans for the most part I hate. I'm beginning to believe that the good ones are the exception.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I just couldn't believe how much Nashville came up. I mean, you are parading the Stanley Cup around your city but you can't stop thinking about the city or the fans that your team defeated to win. It was really an unbelievable level of jealousy/insecurity that's odd to see on a professional sports level.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just couldn't believe how much Nashville came up. I mean, you are parading the Stanley Cup around your city but you can't stop thinking about the city or the fans that your team defeated to win. It was really an unbelievable level of jealousy/insecurity that's odd to see on a professional sports level.

Well let's face it, as a city they got out done. Ad a team they know they got lucky with the Refs, some bounces and the fact we were missing our 1C and a top 6 winger.

I'll go down believing we win that thing in 4 or 5 with Joey and Fiala, and without the Refs we probably win in 6 even without them.

Yeah maybe I'm biased, but Pittsburgh caught a he'll of a lot of breaks to get the Cup, and not just in our series.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Kinda hard to beat TSN broadcasting from Tootsie's :)

I think the Pens expected a coronation and we stole their thunder. :laugh:

Plenty of love was lavished on King Crosby, but our fans and city were a story all their own.

We lost because our PP was missing in action and our shooters couldn't elevate the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad