Observations XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Yeah I have a bad feeling about leaving him exposed. At times it sounds all fine and dandy but it just reeks of a potentially stupid move.

The reason would obviously be the contract situation. Neal- 1 year or Krok- multiyear deal at a bargain price.

If Poile does not think that he can re-sign Neal at a reasonable price, he might leave him exposed. As a player, Neal is far more valuable to the Preds than Krok though.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The reason would obviously be the contract situation. Neal- 1 year or Krok- multiyear deal at a bargain price.

If Poile does not think that he can re-sign Neal at a reasonable price, he might leave him exposed. As a player, Neal is far more valuable to the Preds than Krok though.
Here's the downside to playing until June 11 (in an expansion draft year, go figure).....has Neal or Poile even spent much time thinking about this? Even if we go up to Neal and ask if he wants to sign an extension are he or his people in any kind of mindset right now to say yes or no? And that's not even getting into the terms of the contract and what's best for him.

Maybe the thought of getting picked by Vegas would scare him into signing the deal :laugh:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Why do people act like the Jarnkrok deal is such a bargain? In my opinion it's slightly below market value sure, but not some great bargain. If he played where he belongs, on the 3rd and 4th line, with other 3rd and 4th liners and no PP time, he doesn't come close to 30 points either of the last 2 years. Sure, he's good defensively, but is a ~20 point guy really an amazing bargain at 2 million per? He's 26 to start next year, so it's not like you're paying him for potential or anything. Wonder what Nick Bonino wants as a UFA, he'd be a nice upgrade at 3C. Of course, the big need is an actual legit 2C.

Last edited:

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
With Sunday night's officiating crew the Penguins were 7-1 in the playoffs, with the other crews they were 9-8.

No wonder they got picked for the final. Can a statistician run the numbers to see if that's mathematically significant?

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Don't take this the wrong way, but no one is thinking SJ is a serious Cup finalist after 1 final under their belt. Preds won't be either. The Preds will need a solid regular season to even start a conversation about Finals appearance. Yes, there will be knowledge about us, but I don't consider our team as a perennial Stanley Cup contender.
At least we had the best experience at a hockey game for any fan this year hands down. Regarding the free agent signing ''advantage'' we now 'have' is yet to be proved as well. SJ got Mikkel Bodker who costs them 4 mil the next 2 years. He mustered 26 points in the 82 games of the regular season. Now, this could have been a dud, but no real good players move in free agency unless they're either old or too pricey for the team they originally left from. Free agency signings are usually for money grabbers anyway and the money paid for the free agent won't be nearly as efficient than growing an own talent from the teams own prospect pool and paying that guy. (Case Okposo for example)

We have 17 mil in free cap space right now, and there will be a need to sign Neal, Fisher, Arviddson, Johansen and some others like Gaudreau. I doubt there will be any big fish landing in Nashville just by free agency.

The references to SJ takes into account their 2016-2017 results, which were disappointing. I was referring to the instant upgrade this playoff run gave us.
  1. In pre-season predictions, we will be favored or co-favored to win our division. Many will pick us to return to the SCF.
  2. FA's will want to come to Nashville, now, and in the near future, based on two things: Ability to play for a true Cup contender, and playing in a hockey-crazy market that's a great place to live and now has NHL street-cred. The fact that we may not have available money this year doesn't change the attractiveness factor for any future FA. Prior to this run, we were on some players list of teams they refused to go to.
  3. Back to SJ as the gold standard for why, like them, we may be a passing fancy. SJ is an older team. their best is behind them. We're the opposite. Only Fish and Peks are on the other side of the curve. Peks is still young enough to be The Guy, and Saros will grow into #1 during Pekka's last 2 years. The D is mid-20's, signed longer term, and awesome. The forwards are young and there's enough money to sign them long term. When you compare us to the Hawks, Mild, and Blues, we're the best combo of young and good.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I think Sissons is the pick unless a side deal is worked out.

Why? Has everyone forgotten that he only had 20 points in 120 career games before this run? He also shot over 21% in the postseason, don't see that holding up. I do think he'd perform pretty similarly to Jarnkrok if given the opportunity, but there's no reason to think he'd be a clear choice for Vegas or anything.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Why? Has everyone forgotten that he only had 20 points in 120 career games before this run? He also shot over 21% in the postseason, don't see that holding up. I do think he'd perform pretty similarly to Jarnkrok if given the opportunity, but there's no reason to think he'd be a clear choice for Vegas or anything.

He is also very young, excelled in the playoffs, has an excellent faceoff and defensive prowess, is cheap and controlled... lots to love and get behind if you are a believer. He is also a center. You take chances there. For a startup team, this may be a chance you take if you don't want the others.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
He is also very young, excelled in the playoffs, has an excellent faceoff and defensive prowess, is cheap and controlled... lots to love and get behind if you are a believer. He is also a center. You take chances there. For a startup team, this may be a chance you take if you don't want the others.

He'll be 24 in November, that's not very young for a forward, most guys are pretty close to topped out by then. He's pretty good defensively, but I would stop way short of excellent. He's 51% for his (regular season) career on faceoffs and was sub 49% this postseason, so I certainly wouldn't go with excellent there either. I think some of us are (understandably) just a little drunk on his postseason run right now.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
He'll be 24 in November, that's not very young for a forward, most guys are pretty close to topped out by then. He's pretty good defensively, but I would stop way short of excellent. He's 51% for his (regular season) career on faceoffs and was sub 49% this postseason, so I certainly wouldn't go with excellent there either. I think some of us are (understandably) just a little drunk on his postseason run right now.

I'm not drunk on Sissons. I am saying a 24 yo center who just had a very good playoff run, who can play defense, who can win faceoffs, who has the ability mix it up physically, and may have untapped offensive potential is a legitimate target for a franchise who is starting from scratch. He has always been a tweener 2nd/3rd line potential, and if he stays as a 3c ... okay, if he becomes a 2c, you win hands down. I don't think he is a burgeoning star, but we saw evidence of something more, and he shined at the biggest moment. This matters.

Sure Jarnkrok has a "good deal" but he is soft and is not a very good offensive player. He has disappeared in every post-season run except for parts of the finals when Pittsburgh inexplicably didn't play physical with him.

Sure Wilson and Smith have various offensive seasons or postseasons which impress, but they cost 4 million each.

I doubt Neal isn't protected unless DP really overthinks this or has a side deal in place.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
The problem is you're saying "if he stays as a 3C". When has he ever shown he can be a 3C outside of this run? I THINK he can probably put up Jarnkrok 3C numbers if he gets the same linemates and opportunities. But outside of this run, he has never shown that he can even be a 3C, much less any more than that.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
For those were were half season ticket holders (or even full). You were able to transfer/print/sell your tickets last year EXCEPT those "grow the gold" games (Chicago/STL, etc)

Is that correct????

(For the Mods- Why is the ticket thread closed?? Still plenty to discuss regarding season tickets, etc- especially after the schedule is released)

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
For those were were half season ticket holders (or even full). You were able to transfer/print/sell your tickets last year EXCEPT those "grow the gold" games (Chicago/STL, etc)

Is that correct????

(For the Mods- Why is the ticket thread closed?? Still plenty to discuss regarding season tickets, etc- especially after the schedule is released)

I just thought we would be done with ticket conversations until the season got close to starting. I can re-open it and just leave it unstuck for now.

:)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I saw an article yesterday where the Preds supposedly started the season at 10k season ticket holder equivalents and are now at 12k. They expect to get to 14k before start of next season and intend to cap at that amount.

Franchise Take: This is awesome. I remember when we used to sit in the 300s around 304/305 and would have entire rows to ourselves not too long ago (5+ years ago maybe? Or would it have been longer than that?)

Selfish Take: Loss of seat flexibility. We love moving around each season in order to enjoy different vantage points. Looks like that benefit may come to an end. Just wish we had realized this was happening before we changed out of our seats for next season.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Any news on injuries? I expect Subban will have UB and LB, Ellis with LB, Neal with UB (forearm/wrist since forever ago), Arvy with UB.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Anyone ever notice we never hear news like this from our local media? It always comes from outside media, usually Canada. Pretty weird (and sad). I mean we just had a whole day of exit day media availability and I did not see one thing reported locally on any of the Preds many injuries. (Ellis????).

EDIT- I guess it is possible we may hear something about it today when Lavi and Poile have their pressers- we shall see.

Last edited:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Bruins fan here, thought I'd post this article about Mike Dunham, the Preds' first goaltender. Mike is currently the Islanders' goaltending coach and was a member of Maine's 1993 NCAA title team.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...els_his_competitive_fire_on_golf_course_makes

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1485

P.S. I would love to see a Frozen Four in Nashville(I've been to about thirty of them from St. Paul to Tampa). Though the sites are set through 2022, I'm hope will Nashville will try again to lure it.

2018 - St. Paul
2019 - Buffalo
2020 - Detroit
2021 - Pittsburgh
2022 - Boston

P.S. 2 I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Preds' run and hope P.K. made heads explode in Montreal.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville

Is that correct????

Yes, you were able to sell/transfer during the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad