Observations XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreland

Feb 13, 2015
Any update on Phil Housley going to Buffalo ??? Some on the Sabres board were saying he was in Buffalo today , but no has confirmed that. how do you guys feel about possibly losing him ?

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Any update on Phil Housley going to Buffalo ??? Some on the Sabres board were saying he was in Buffalo today , but no has confirmed that. how do you guys feel about possibly losing him ?

His loss would have the biggest impact on younger D not yet on the team IMHO. I think the guys on the bench now have absorbed a lot from him. My understanding was he worked the powerplay, which was sporadic at best. Could be a new contributor there would improve that. A great hockey mind, if he goes there I guess we will see how effective he can be as a coach running the show.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm just considering it a foregone conclusion that he's going to Buffalo unless they really screw it up. I'm not a guru on the contributions of the assistants but I have to assume/appreciate that he's been instrumental in the development of our young defensive corps. Or at least when they were younger.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

I don't think he'll be a very good head coach. He was okay as an assistant, very good working with defenseman. He was, however, apparently instrumental in a power play that ran a pretty terrible system IMO and he never adjusted. He's a great guy, so I hope he does well if he gets the job, but I don't see it personally.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Find yourself. I found me but it looks like the guy started taking the picture before Paul announced it to the arena. Only the people around the band stage knew. Found a guy picking his nose. A couple making out. Two guys pointing at each other discussing who knows what.

https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/stanleycup/2017/game6/

edit... nvm, I did find us... me and my son are both looking kinda pensive...

its funny its almost like they have ghosted out the row of jackass pens fans that were in front of us

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Speaking of The Tennessean being total ass, they've doubled down on their careless hockey coverage by using a picture from 2016 to "celebrate" this year. :clap: :clap:

deansredhalo

May 5, 2012
You don't even know how right you are. If they aren't the center of attention or someone dares to complement another fanbase, they get all pissy.

There's a thread on r/hockey where they are bragging that they had ZERO arrests for their championship parade and we had 11 arrests for one of our viewing parties.

Their inferiority complex is staggering at times.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't think he'll be a very good head coach. He was okay as an assistant, very good working with defenseman. He was, however, apparently instrumental in a power play that ran a pretty terrible system IMO and he never adjusted. He's a great guy, so I hope he does well if he gets the job, but I don't see it personally.

He'd be inheriting the #1 Powerplay in the league. He could always just leave that coach there. The PP runs through Eichel on the half wall anyway. It's hard to screw it up. Even Bylsma couldn't.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Speaking of The Tennessean being total ass, they've doubled down on their careless hockey coverage by using a picture from 2016 to "celebrate" this year. :clap: :clap:

That is completely ridiculous and inexcusable- what a joke.........

(Side note and I know this has been mentioned before- but man I still find it funny how weird those blue helmets look now......)

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
He'd be inheriting the #1 Powerplay in the league. He could always just leave that coach there. The PP runs through Eichel on the half wall anyway. It's hard to screw it up. Even Bylsma couldn't.

My point isn't that he's poor at running a power play, its that he can't, or for some reason just doesn't, adjust. As far as I know the PP (and maybe OT) is the only facet where he was the guy (at least mostly) in charge, and he wasn't willing to adjust or capable of adjusting.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Didn't he also handle the 3-on-3 for OT?

I'd heard that and mentioned it in my quick edit, but I'm not 100% sure. He was definitely involved, and I believe heavily involved, in a historically bad OT scheme that continued for nearly two full years.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
As much as I'd like to see Housley remain and teach Girard, Fabbro etc a thing or two, I too believe he's as good as gone.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
As much as I'd like to see Housley remain and teach Girard, Fabbro etc a thing or two, I too believe he's as good as gone.

That part stinks, but the Preds developed plenty of very good (or better) D-men before him and I imagine they will continue to do so after. I actually think this may be a good thing, at least for the next season or two, if handled correctly. It's a chance to get someone that can run a power play and 3-on-3 better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad