Observations XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When that first standing ovation occurred in that Blues game the emotion was just so strong. It was like all the stress, all the worry from the previous year just came to the surface for everyone as a group. I was sitting by a lady who had told me earlier it was her first Predators game. When the ovation happened, I told her she'd just witnessed something really special. She probably didn't "get" it, but that's okay, she was still there. I had no idea at the time that it would become that thing we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICO-FeS0558 This seems like an appropriate place for this. Minute 1:17 to 1:25 or so...that's my two, Jailbait and Logoon, at that first ever home playoff game. I'm sort of to their side, you can only see my back. Video just can't replicate how that place felt. Everyone was so excited the place was vibrating!

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One of the things that has me so encouraged about our play is comparing it to our run in the playoffs last year.

Last year we had pretty darn good run in the playoffs- we won 7 games, won a series and were one game away from the Western Conference finals.

But looking back at it, especially when you compare it to this year, I don’t even think we played all that great last year.

Some overall numbers from our playoffs last year:

We had a -12 goal differential
We were 1/26 on the power play vs Anaheim
We had an overall -8 power play goal differential (scored 4/allowed 12)
We also had a minus shot differential
We scored only 31 goals in 14 games. Scored 3 or more in only 6 of 14 games.

Those kinds of stats usually equal an early exit from playoffs.

Point is, despite almost making it to the Conference finals, I never really thought we were playing great hockey or clicking on all cylinders the way we are right now. This year’s team right now just seems so much better in almost every area than last year. If it were possible for a team to play itself, no doubt in my mind this year’s team would dominate our last year’s team.

I realize it is still very early and a lot of things can change. But I feel even more confident about our team this year considering a good portion of that team almost made the conference finals last year while not playing nearly as well as this team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The rally inside the arena when Balsillie tried to take the team was a galvanizing moment for me personally, but also the fan base and city at large. So proud of us that day.
I wasn't a part of that event, but seeing it all unfold is a not insignificant part of why I keep showing up at this board and celebrating Preds wins against non-Jackets teams. :)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I wasn't a part of that event, but seeing it all unfold is a not insignificant part of why I keep showing up at this board and celebrating Preds wins against non-Jackets teams. :)
Me and three of my best friends were all there. One of them was living in Dallas and drove 12 hours for it. Certainly a turning point.

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
we've been around long enough where we can have different 'era's; in Pred hockey. personally i think the most emotional moment in pred history will always be the first Predator home playoff game. after all the struggles, attendance problems, and the risk of completely losing the franchise. people were actually crying in the stands when the team took the ice for that first home playoff game. and the loudest moment i ever heard in any sporting event in my life was when Legwand scored the shorthanded first goal in that game. i honestly don't think that moment could ever be recreated because of all the pent up emotion except maybe with a stanley cup win.

i imagine all 'original old timer' pred fans will say that.

but there is a new 'era'. that starts around the post lockout good preds teams from about 2005. New fans, younger fans growing up. Those highlights certainly include our first series win against DET, the STL standing ovation in the regular season, the Fisher OT goal against SJ in game six, the game 6 win against ANA. We got revenge against DET, eliminating CHI would take that second money off our back and rank right up there (leaving needed revenge against SJS). This might have been the loudest i've heard since that first playoff series.

That sure was a big one. It took so long to get there. I would have to agree.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Me and three of my best friends were all there. One of them was living in Dallas and drove 12 hours for it. Certainly a turning point.

I was there. Some jack ass from the np.com board kept my clapper (I forgot his name now, but he wasn't well-liked over there). When I went to get my name tag to indicate I was a member of that forum I jokingly told them I was (insert name of a Canadian user who was also not well-liked) and the look I got was hilarious :laugh:

The day before I bought a $90 bottle of scotch, and I promised my buddy that if the Preds sold X number of season tickets then he and I would be drinking some expensive scotch.

Fun times.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Are Parenteau and Fiddler still on this roster? Jesus, imagine a cup win and those two pieces of bench waste get their names with the likes of Arvy, Sub, Peks, etc?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If you are having a bad day and need a pick me up, go read the "The Western Conference- Anaheim's to lose?" thread on the main board.

We are getting so much love it almost doesn't feel real. It is pretty amazing that we are now looked at as a fast, exciting and fun team to watch.

Fun reading.....

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Sounded like a lot more bass than normal. Definitely upgraded some sound equipment.
Yeah, Paul McCann said on his slapshot radio show that they were testing out some new sound equipment during the game.

I guess that's the best time to test it when the building is full and paying more attention to the game than the sound system.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Chance number one tonight to end this thing. Impossible to know what to expect emotionally from either team when a series is 3-0. It's possible we come out tight and they come out loose and play like they have nothing to lose. It's possible we come out hungry and they come out a beaten team already. Us scoring the first goal tonight would seem to be key, even more so than usual. That may or may not cause a CHI collapse. Not that I expect that because I assume CHI has more pride than that.

If we come out relatively flat and passive I expect the crowd energy to correct that. I also expect CHI to come out with fire those first 10 minutes, a storm we really need to weather.

Tonight is the night I really want to get this done. Don't want to go to CHI and have the chance of coming back here for a game 6 with all the pressure on us then. Also after seeing the strong game plan the coaches came up with given time to prepare for the hawks, I want them to have the most days available to work on a game plan for STL as well.

Get it done boys, finish them.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Chance number one tonight to end this thing. Impossible to know what to expect emotionally from either team when a series is 3-0. It's possible we come out tight and they come out loose and play like they have nothing to lose. It's possible we come out hungry and they come out a beaten team already. Us scoring the first goal tonight would seem to be key, even more so than usual. That may or may not cause a CHI collapse. Not that I expect that because I assume CHI has more pride than that.

If we come out relatively flat and passive I expect the crowd energy to correct that. I also expect CHI to come out with fire those first 10 minutes, a storm we really need to weather.

Tonight is the night I really want to get this done. Don't want to go to CHI and have the chance of coming back here for a game 6 with all the pressure on us then. Also after seeing the strong game plan the coaches came up with given time to prepare for the hawks, I want them to have the most days available to work on a game plan for STL as well.

Get it done boys, finish them.
I second this! :handclap:

68662673.jpg

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Not to take anything away from the Preds, but that Wings team wasn't exactly a top tier team. Howard couldn't stop a beach ball when it mattered, it seemed. (and things haven't changed in that regard :laugh: )

(deleted rest)

The bolded is why (until we knock out Chicago, make a cup final is why putting them out) is still the top "moment" for me. Nothing Nashville did was good enough to beat big brother. When they finally do, the attitude from up there was, well we stink now, even though we were a 100 point team.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
When that first standing ovation occurred in that Blues game the emotion was just so strong. It was like all the stress, all the worry from the previous year just came to the surface for everyone as a group. I was sitting by a lady who had told me earlier it was her first Predators game. When the ovation happened, I told her she'd just witnessed something really special. She probably didn't "get" it, but that's okay, she was still there. I had no idea at the time that it would become that thing we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICO-FeS0558 This seems like an appropriate place for this. Minute 1:17 to 1:25 or so...that's my two, Jailbait and Logoon, at that first ever home playoff game. I'm sort of to their side, you can only see my back. Video just can't replicate how that place felt. Everyone was so excited the place was vibrating!

didn't we score off the faceoff right after the 1st ovation too?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Soo just finished the 1st season in my franchise mode in NHL 17. Lost 4-3 in the 2nd round for the Hawks. I blew a 3-0 lead..

Sorry everyone beforehand.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
i'm not as nervous about tonight's game as i was Monday, i guess one could look at that as a bad sign.

I am getting that way, too. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was feeling pretty relaxed, thinking that the win Monday took some pressure off of us and that this game would not be an absolute must win.

But now that it is here I am realizing just how much I want to be there for the clinching game- I want to see what that building is going to be like. Plus the thought of going back to Chicago and potentially having to come back for a game 6 at home, where all the pressure would be on us, does not sound good at all.

So yeah, I am going to be a nervous wreck tonight............

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Haven't read much of what has been posted over the last few days but I want to make an observation......

What a difference coaching makes. Peter sticking with Fiala even though he has been a turnover machine in the defensive end is something that we've never seen with the Preds before. We've always seen the slow, old, un-creative veterans get the nod over a kid like that. Poile tried to stack the team with those players again but the coach is doing his thing and it's working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad